Dream - Items Taken from Luggage

maxine10018

Why does anyone need a clock your on vacation and your internal clock will take over. Unless you have an OCD.

In an inside room I could oversleep and miss an excursion - I have a horrible sense of time so I need a clock to help and I do not wear a watch.

Honestly, if it were me. I'd probably look for an inexpensive replacement at my first port of call.

Most ports seem to have quite a selection of electronic gadgets aimed at American consumers.

Just a thought.

Exactly why you need a power strip like the Belkin KarenMF has in her post. It has a built in surge protector.

I haven't read about confiscating power strips on other lines. Is this something peculiar to Carnival?

And now a word here from the technical department:

1. Most electronic devices take very little power. The power hogs are anything with a heating element (hair dryer, curler, etc). I believe most cabins have both 110 and 220 outlets. These are on separate circuit breakers. Most electronic chargers will tolerate 220 volt, so you only need an adapter from round pin to flat pin.

2. Yes, 2-3 cabins are typically on each circuit. So if everyone is got the 5000 watt hair dryers going at the same time, you could trip the breaker. Using the 220v circuit for your electronics would spread the load. Pretty rare to see a cabin breaker pop.

3. The Belkin power strip is a good, compact design. It does have a surge protector, which is recommended for electronics, even at home.

4. Power strips should have a surge protector, and if it is the type with a cord and multiple outlets, having the on/off switch is preferred, as this is a mini circuit breaker as well.

5. Extension cords should be 3 prong plugs, and of the heavy duty type (the thick round wire, not the sort of flat cord of two wires side by side). It's usually these smaller household cords that get confiscated. There should be no breaks in the plugs, and no cuts in the insulation. Extension cords that just have 2-3 plugs in the end, rather than a metal or plastic strip of outlets (in other words, without the on/off switch), can be overloaded and be a fire hazard.

6. Ship's power is not as consistent as shore power. The frequency of the generated power (60 cycles) will vary by 1-2% depending on what is operations are happening onboard (getting underway, starting an extra A/C unit, things like that). An electric clock requires a constant 60 cycles to run accurately, so it will not tell accurate time over the period of a cruise. That is why they don't recommend electric clocks. The ship's master clock is adjusted daily by the deck officers to a world standard clock to allow for this.

7. Sometimes, people (crew included, since all outlets in crew areas are 220) will get one of the European to US adapters, that is just a device to change from the European round pins to the US flat pins. They think this will adapt the 220v power to 110v. This usually results in them standing there with wet hair, and a fist full of molten plastic because their 5000w hair dryer melted down. There are transformers that can plug into the European outlets, but be careful with thesee as well, because some are rated for electronics only, and some will handle heating elements (hair dryers), and you can burn these up if not used for the right appliance.

Hope this helps for future planning for electronics junkies.

I have apps and info saved on my phone, plus I use it as a clock. Yes, I NEED a clock to make excursions, shows, activities and dinner on time. My "internal clock" is used to shift work, not cruising. I have an iPhone. That thing eats battery power like breakfast.

I bring my Kindle. I like to relax somewhere and watch a movie or read a book.

I have my camera and 2 batteries (external charger) so I don't miss a pic. That is just MY stuff that needs to be plugged in, my cabin mate has even more.

On my last cruise they tried to take my power strip and I wasn't giving it up. It was brand new and in perfect condition. Plus I don't plug electronics in without a surge protector. A higher up came over and gave it the okay.

I have apps and info saved on my phone, plus I use it as a clock. Yes, I NEED a clock to make excursions, shows, activities and dinner on time. My "internal clock" is used to shift work, not cruising. I have an iPhone. That thing eats battery power like breakfast.

I bring my Kindle. I like to relax somewhere and watch a movie or read a book.

I have my camera and 2 batteries (external charger) so I don't miss a pic. That is just MY stuff that needs to be plugged in, my cabin mate has even more.

On my last cruise they tried to take my power strip and I wasn't giving it up. It was brand new and in perfect condition. Plus I don't plug electronics in without a surge protector. A higher up came over and gave it the okay.

If you get a cord with a surge protector confiscated by the baggage screeners in the terminal, check with Security when you get onboard, and ask them to get an opinion from the Staff Chief Engineer or Safety Officer, who are normally the final arbiters about electrical device safety.

Wow,

My wife and myself are readers, on sea days and before dinner we like to find a quiet place on the ship or even the cabin to catch up on books and magazines. In the "old days" we would pack multiple books and magazines. Now, we each have a personal Nook.

I don't wear a watch, while in most cases there is clock nearby, on certain ships they not in an easy sightline. So upon boarding the ship, I put my cell phone in airplane mode and use it as a watch. At home, I don't put in airplane mode but use it as a watch.

Also I store music on my phone, and like to listen to it while reading. Mind you I love a good piano bar or a good main show onboard ship

My wife also likes audio books, she stores them on her phone

I love to take photographs during cruises using my digital camera. While the SD card can usually handle all of the photographs I take, I like to periodically back them up, especially for "bucket list" type trips. So I bring along a laptop.

If you are keeping track, we now have 5 "gadgets" that will need to be recharged that will enhance our enjoyment of the cruise and provide memories in the future.

Zactly! Also, digital camera batteries run down during the week and need to be recharged. I have a nook, cell phone (with a sound machine app I use every night while traveling), iPad mini for music & games. Solo traveler, 4 items needing charged. When in doubt, pack the power strip in your carry-on.

And for the love of Bob, if I want to plug in my iphone, ipad, kindle, nook, clock, and electronic boyfriend all at the same time it's no one's business but my own. Live and let live people. All good that Carnival would like to streamline the electrical current supply during peak times but as long as they are permitted and if a person needs/wants to charge max capacity...carpe diem:rolleyes:

Can you recommend a good model? ;):D

I'm not going to question what people travel with or why (well, I do, but that's just for my own personal amusement), I guess I wonder why everything needs to be charging at the same time.

I like to leave my clock plugged in all the time, and I have a tablet that needs charging quit a lot of time... Thats why I think they should allow them or put in two outlets.

Im not questioning the need.. I think they are trying to not let you use much electricty at a time.

I dont like it that I cant leave my electric clock plugged in and do something else at the same time.

Im not sure what the people questioning why people want extra plugs use .. I only want two plugs lol... thats all .. But after getting my extension cord taken, I quit taking it. It took me about 45 minutes of standing in line to get it back.

I dont think you have to be this big tech person to want TWO places to plug into at the same time. I have a kindle app on my tablet, and bring some paper backs. Last time I depended a lot more on my tablet to read books, and needed a lot more charging time.. and having a electric clock plugged in to me does not seem excessive as some people here seem to think.

(my camera uses batteries, so I dont need it for that) .. I just want two measly places to plug in at the same time.

I had one of the outlets that allows 3 things to be plugged in at one time. Usually only our clock was plugged in.

We were annoyed because every day we'd come back into the cabin, & our clock was unplugged. We finally realized (after several years!!!) the 3-way thingy was covering the 220V that the steward used for the vacuum.

Once we finally realized this, I started using my converter (from my trip to Paris) on my curling iron so I could plug it into the 220V outlet. I had bought a curling iron that could be used in either 110 or 220 when I went to France.

The only other thing I may need to charge is my camera battery pack. Since I take 2 fully charged batteries with me, I usually don't have to charge any.

Lol just trying to maybe show the op that perhaps they don't have to keep their work life with them on vacation not forcing anyone to do anything. Speaking of what if has become all I have seen on this site is people blowing other peoples posts out of proportion. All I asked is why need that many devices that's all

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You are the one blowing a post out of proportion. the point was the power strip was taken, not your opinion on what electronic devices one should take on a cruise... Talk about self righteous, judgmental posts. Your "showing the op" was not asked for and its the OP's cruise. NOT YOURS>

I will fight tooth and nail to keep my Belkin! I think I will print out where it says in good working condition and have that with me.

You use those things enough during the week that they need charging?

There is more than one outlet in the cabin

Only one in the cabin itself. The one in the bathroom is for shavers only. Not only is it low voltage, the bathroom light has to be on to activate it.

Archived