Anyone been in Key West with 4 ships in port?

bobcatcruiser1331

We are booked on the March 8th sailing on Serenade of the Seas from New Orleans to Key West, Nassau, and CoCoCay. We are having second thoughts though after seeing the port schedules...4 ships in Key West on that day (us, Carnival Breeze, HAL Ryndam, and Carnival Fascination).

We are concerned with how crowded that port will be. We have been in Key West twice with two ships and it was okay, but will it be overwhelming with 4 ships?

Thanks for any input!

We happened to be in Key West when Carnival Dream docked there for the first time. It was very crowded on Duval Street. I had never seen the streets so crowded in the daytime. I don't know about other parts of town, such as the beaches or features such as the Hemingway House or Buttefly Conservatory. The stores on Duval were jammed with people. I remember a few were nearly elbow-to-elbow.

We were not on a cruise ship that day. I am not sure what other cruise ships were in port or even if any others were in port.

Remember that not only will cruise ship passengers be on Key West streets, so will many tourists who are staying in Key West hotels. If there is a festival or some big attraction on a particular date, many land-based tourists will be in town too.

I'd call the impact similar to Disney World on a busy day.

I do see there will be four ships.

The reality is by around 11:00 AM the down will be very crowded.

I would get out an about as soon as you arrive to take walk around Key West before it gets overrun by passengers.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

According to our calendar...

http://www.keywestcity.com/eGov/apps/document/center.egov?view=item;id=9495

...there are only 3 ships in on March 10, not including Breeze. However, I did check Carnival's schedule and Breeze is supposed to be here that day. With the other 3 having pier assignments, I guess that means Breeze is anchoring? Sucks to be them on a ship so large. That is the most crowded ship class that visits here.

But to answer your question, yes, downtown will be a madhouse with 4 ships. I'm a local and I promise you I will not be anywhere near Duval St. that day.

We'll be in Key West Friday, Dec. 6 on Regatta (684 passengers). I think Victory has about 2800. Is that considered a heavy day for the city? Can't remember how many ships were there the last time we visited one July, but it was pretty crowded. We're only in port from 8-2 or so, pretty much the same for Victory. We plan to walk around, visit some places we didn't before, if they're open that early. Last time we were there, the ship docked around 3 p.m., and by the time we got off, some of the places were closing/closed.

Archived