how to book 3 + a possible 4th

fragilek

Only 2nd ever cruise so need a bit of help.

We are looking at traveling dec 2014. But my DD will be in the middle of her masters degree and is not sure if she will be able to take the usual Xmas break as she may have experiments that she needs to observe during that time. She wont know until oct 2014 at the earliest. Because of this we have ruled out our preferred cruise on the NCL Pearl over Xmas as we want to spend Xmas together. However, we now plan to cruise the week after xmas and so are again looking at a 2nd new year ccl cruise. The three of us would go regardless of my eldest DD availability but if she was to find out she could join us that would be the icing on the cake.

So how do we book should we (at the moment we plan to be in one cabin)

1. book assuming all of us can go - what happens if we had to cancel her off the booking (penalty ?/ cabin assignment ?)

2. book for the 3 of us then add her on - will we definitely be able to add her after oct 2014

Only 2nd ever cruise so need a bit of help.

We are looking at traveling dec 2014. But my DD will be in the middle of her masters degree and is not sure if she will be able to take the usual Xmas break as she may have experiments that she needs to observe during that time. She wont know until oct 2014 at the earliest. Because of this we have ruled out our preferred cruise on the NCL Pearl over Xmas as we want to spend Xmas together. However, we now plan to cruise the week after xmas and so are again looking at a 2nd new year ccl cruise. The three of us would go regardless of my eldest DD availability but if she was to find out she could join us that would be the icing on the cake.

So how do we book should we (at the moment we plan to be in one cabin)

1. book assuming all of us can go - what happens if we had to cancel her off the booking (penalty ?/ cabin assignment ?)

Carnival could switch you to a 3 person cabin and you would start to loose your deposit if you canceled after final payment, it is pro rated of course.

2. book for the 3 of us then add her on - will we definitely be able to add her after oct 2014

You would only be able to book her if a quad cabin is available,. Big chance to take.

I hope this helps a little.

I would book the cabin for all 4 and purchase insurance for her with the cancel for any reason. The policy I buy lets you cancel for any reason at least 2 days before your departure date and get back 75% cash. You must insure all prepaid nonrefundable costs and buy it soon after the first payment towards your trip.

If you don't book her and then try to add her later, there might not be a quad cabin or the ship might already have hit its maximum number of passengers.

I would book the cabin for all 4 and purchase insurance for her with the cancel for any reason. The policy I buy lets you cancel for any reason at least 2 days before your departure date and get back 75% cash. You must insure all prepaid nonrefundable costs and buy it soon after the first payment towards your trip.

Thanks for the responses- I will now book for all 4 of us. I cannot get insurance for any reason cancellation as from the UK. (have travel insurance for illness only) but will just have to bite the bullet if she can't make it.

I will book through the US site as the UK one will not allow changes. Through the US site are we able to cancel her off up until a certain point in time with a lesser penalty than the full deposit.

Do they take 1/4 of the deposit that we pay for all 4 of us or will they deduct the full deposit from the amount I have already paid.

You could also consider just booking one cabin with 2 people for now and then adding either a second cabin with the other two if she can make it, or the 3rd to the original cabin if not. May well be just as cost effective as the insurance option, depending on the price of your specific cruise.

Major downside is that you may not be able to get cabins very close to each other.

You could also do some research to find out which cabins accomodate 4 people and book one of them with the three of you. Chance they could move you if they needed the space, but probably worth the risk.

I would book for the 3 that can go for sure, and add the 4th when you know, even if by chance you have to change cabins. Try and book a quad with 3 now.

I would not book the other and risk the deposit when you can add her in Oct and not lose money.

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. It depends on if it's a high-volume time of year.

Since they are going to be cruising for New Year's I don't believe they would allow it but you never know until you try.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

with 3 people you should be able to book a 4 passenger cabin. I would book the three and add her later. It might cost her a little more coz you will have to pay the going rate at the time of her booking

Ships built before 2000 are 'grandfathered' to allow a rollaway thus making a triple become a quad. It depends on the lifeboat capacity whether or not this can be done.

I know all Fantasy class ships are grandfathered in. There are some others. Someone else will have to give you the names of those.

Archived