Snorlke Park Bermuda

SciFiCruiser

We did snorkel park on our last day there because we did not want to stray far from the ship. They were not charging at that point. We did not like it at all..the beach was pebbly and the water outside of the rocks (where you would snorkel) was rough. It was also not very clear water so it was hard to see a lot underwater and our pictures did not turn out well. We only stayed about 2 hours then the men returned to the ship with the kids and the ladies went to the little shops around there. Horseshoe Bay Beach was the best beach there!

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

Snorkel Park is man made for tourists and will not give you a true Bermudian experience. We cruised to Bermuda last fall and went to Horseshoe Bay, Church Bay, and my favorite Tobacco Bay. We also took the walk along the gorgeous coast from Horseshoe Bay to Jobson's Bay and Warrick Long Bay. We did not take any ship excursions to any of these places, but traveled as we pleased on the public transportation passes (pink buses and ferries).

I have a detailed picture review our port experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1728780

Bermuda is amazing!

• 1 month later...

Ok so I am heading to Bermuda on the Dawn on the 23rd. Since the buses don't run as much on Sundays (when we arrive), I was figuring on going to Snorkel Beach (I have 3 kids, ages 9, 7 and 3) instead of hopping on a bus and heading to Horseshoe Beach. But after these reviews I'm wondering if I should just do the bus anyway? I know Snorkel Beach has a little playground outside it as well. Do any of the other beaches have that? Just curious. Any and all recommendations are helpful!

I was told NOT to get a 3 day bus pass since buses only run half the schedules on Sunday but is this bad advice? Is it worth it to get the 3 day and skip Snorkel Park? Thank you everyone!

PS - which of the recommended beaches is closest? Or even approximate times to get to each via bus. Since I do have a little one with me, this may help me decide which to go to. Thanks again!

It really depends on what you want, your time constraints, and whether you've been to BDA before - at least in my mind. I started going to BDA with my parents over 40 years ago and have been to all the gorgeous beaches at some point. Last year's cruise and again last week, SO and I did snorkel park 2 days.

It was perfect for us. $5 admission and both days we rented a cabana for $35. One day we just lay in the the water in the sheltered cove with a tropical drink - I never wanted to leave. We got food and brought it back to the cabana. Each day stayed about 4 hours. I never wanted to leave that water and without the cabana it would've been just too hot by 2 in the afternoon. The cabana is like a California king mattress with a waterproof cover up on a big wood frame and it has a curtain on top and on two sides. They bring you pillows too.

I think the clarity of the water is somewhat affected by the tides too because I noticed the second day around 11 AM that the water was clearer than the afternoon on the first day.

[quote=meglet;39388884

It was perfect for us. $5 admission and both days we rented a cabana for $35. One day we just lay in the the water in the sheltered cove with a tropical drink - I never wanted to leave. We got food and brought it back to the cabana. Each day stayed about 4 hours.The cabana is like a California king mattress with a waterproof cover up on a big wood frame and it has a curtain on top and on two sides. They bring you pillows too.

Drinks in the ocean, a king size bed/cabana to lounge on... umm yes please! LOL. I have been to Bermuda once with friends. This is a first time for my family. However, the convenience of the location and the playground beside it may make it appealing for 1 day for us. Also, you can rent jet skis there, correct? We used to have one so I know hubby would enjoy doing that. I definitely want to bring them to Horseshoe Bay one day too. We live on Cape Cod so are used to rocky beaches and murky water - ;) I think we will still plan on heading to Snorkel Park either the last day there or perhaps the first. Thanks!!

Jet skis, paddle boats, the noodle things to float on, snorkle equipment available. Someone mentioned having to wear water shoes, but I didn't find that the case. I'm almost 50 and spent my summers growing up in Humarock, so I didn't find the sand hard to walk on at all.

Yep Humarock, been there too! I actually have watershoes for the kids anyway and was planning to bring them so that is no big deal. Totally used to that type of beach anyway. Going to bring the kids masks (they can't really fully snorkel anyway) and the wee ones life vest thing. We will have a blast. Hubby will love that there is food right there and I will love a yummy drink! Win win

Go to Horseshoe, Elbow or Tobacco....

the only way I would go to Snorkle Park is if I had tiny children in strollers or someone who was disabled with me...... for years that place was free...then last year they started charging $5.00 and I thought it wasn't worth $5.00.

Like I said, to dip your feet it is fine, or with babies or toddlers....there is also a splash zone right outside with some swings or something for little kids.......

but for healthy people with children over 3 I would not bother and I would take an bus to Horseshoe or a ferry to Tobacco.

I totally agree with this. But you won't see many fish at Horseshoe Bay, if any. But the beach is beautiful. Personally, I haven't found Bermuda great for snorkeling. Snorkel park has the most fish but they become aggressive when you feed them. At least this was my experience. I would never visit it again for all of the reasons posted by others.

Drinks in the ocean, a king size bed/cabana to lounge on... umm yes please! LOL. I have been to Bermuda once with friends. This is a first time for my family. However, the convenience of the location and the playground beside it may make it appealing for 1 day for us. Also, you can rent jet skis there, correct? We used to have one so I know hubby would enjoy doing that. I definitely want to bring them to Horseshoe Bay one day too. We live on Cape Cod so are used to rocky beaches and murky water - ;) I think we will still plan on heading to Snorkel Park either the last day there or perhaps the first. Thanks!!

If I were You I would do Horseshoe the first day and do snorkle the final day. Your son is three and we all know that can be a hit or miss age. If he can handle a twenty five minute bus ride, the rest of the family will love Horseshoe. They sell drinks and food there as well. The advantage of Snorkle is that if he is having a"miss" day one of the adults can take him back to the ship for a nap and the other kids can still have fun. Since you arrive at 11, you will be the first ship in and there will be no problem getting bus service. In all honesty I am not sure the rates charged on the buses for children, but it might make sense to take a cab. Or bus there and cab back........ the bus there is easy....but after a few hours a wet sandy tired toddler may do better in a cab back:)

If I were You I would do Horseshoe the first day and do snorkle the final day. Your son is three and we all know that can be a hit or miss age. If he can handle a twenty five minute bus ride, the rest of the family will love Horseshoe. They sell drinks and food there as well. The advantage of Snorkle is that if he is having a"miss" day one of the adults can take him back to the ship for a nap and the other kids can still have fun. Since you arrive at 11, you will be the first ship in and there will be no problem getting bus service. In all honesty I am not sure the rates charged on the buses for children, but it might make sense to take a cab. Or bus there and cab back........ the bus there is easy....but after a few hours a wet sandy tired toddler may do better in a cab back:)

He is definitely a hit or miss kid!! I was wondering this as well (do Snorkel Park the last day so we are close). I definitely want to bring the family to Horseshoe as it is so beautiful (I have been there before). Thanks for letting me know how long the bus ride is (I could not remember) and that we will be the first ship so no problem finding a bus. My brother in law did suggest a cab (he went last year) since I have the kids. But I read that they are only allowed to fit 4 (and we are a family of 5)? Is this information wrong? If so, I will likely take the cab back for the reasons you stated. Thank you so much for the advice - I do appreciate it!:)

Snorkel Park that is!

For my family to book an excursion through the ship it is @ $160. Where as if we go on our own, admission, umbrella and 2 lounge chairs only run @ $55.

As no food is included with the ship booking is there any reason to book this through the ship as opposed to just going on your own? We don't care about snorkeling so getting included gear is not a factor.

No need to book this one with the ship, unless you are doing a special one that they used to offer in the evenings with food and liquor. If you want to have a beach day, just walk over on your own. Having said that, there are many other beautiful beaches in Bermuda. You can take the bus to them.

Or maybe not. Just found out that the 5-6 passenger taxis do exist and cost more (no biggie) but on Sundays they are an additional 50% MORE than what you would pay any other day. Think I'll save Horseshoe Bay for Monday! hahaha

I believe you can get a metered rate back from Horseshoe, or a flat per person rate. It is more on Sunday, I am faced with that problem as well. I am also there on a national Holiday the week after you, so we face the higher price for two our of three days. Maybe the second day might be better than the first for that reason. Three is a tough age...you just don't know what you have on your hands until that morning....... A lot depends on his nap time too if he is still napping....... 20 years ago for me....but I still remember some of those moments:)

Don't know if they run on Sunday but they had buses that only went to Horseshoe Bay and didn't make any other stops which was really good. There was no problem getting a bus back either but again it was a Friday. We were a group of nine and chose to buy the ticket books that are sold in the white trailer right where the taxi/bus stop is. There are three zone and four zone ticket books. Horseshoe is a four zone. We were able to buy these books and share amongst the 7 adults. We also were able to use the four zone tickets for the ferry. It was much cheaper than getting the passes. I had figured out ahead of time where we would go and what we needed so it was easy to buy them. They also sell ticket books for kids 16 and under. They were only $7.50 for 15 tickets. We really saved a lot of money by doing this. One day we had rented jet skis and the company pays your taxi there. We were able to get a bus since we were nine, not a mini but not a pink bus. We only went to Somerset which is halfway to Horseshoe Bay and it was $45 without a tip. We didn't have to pay but I thought it was a lot of money for one way. We took the bus back, a three zone ticket. Hopes this helps!

Just back from Bermuda last Friday. We purchased a two day pass and tokens for our trip to Somerset Bridge on Sunday. The Information Booth Lady told us that was a better deal for us. I wish, now, that I had bought the book of tickets for my husband and myself to share. It would have been $30 instead of $50 since we only did one ferry ride out and one ferry ride back to the Dockyard the second two days. If you are traveling places together as a group, the book of tickets is a good deal because you can share the tickets. The 14 zone tickets are good on both the buses and the ferries. If you are going to be doing a lot of trips, then the pass is the better buy. Don't think I would do the trip to Tobacco Bay and St. George on the last day in port. It is a long way back to the ship and you don't want to miss the sailing. We did Horseshoe Bay on the last day, using the "Special" buses that just go to the beach and back to the Dockyard, no stopping along the way.

• 4 weeks later...
Just back from Bermuda last Friday. We purchased a two day pass and tokens for our trip to Somerset Bridge on Sunday. The Information Booth Lady told us that was a better deal for us. I wish, now, that I had bought the book of tickets for my husband and myself to share. It would have been $30 instead of $50 since we only did one ferry ride out and one ferry ride back to the Dockyard the second two days. If you are traveling places together as a group, the book of tickets is a good deal because you can share the tickets. The 14 zone tickets are good on both the buses and the ferries. If you are going to be doing a lot of trips, then the pass is the better buy. Don't think I would do the trip to Tobacco Bay and St. George on the last day in port. It is a long way back to the ship and you don't want to miss the sailing. We did Horseshoe Bay on the last day, using the "Special" buses that just go to the beach and back to the Dockyard, no stopping along the way.

Are the special buses included in the pass? Do you recall the bus number or pick up spot? Thanks!

Lori

Are the special buses included in the pass? Do you recall the bus number or pick up spot? Thanks!

Lori

Yes the special buses are included in the passes or tickets... same bus just instead of a number, it says special and goes for us tourists to the beach.... although on the way back, the driver did stop once to pickup someone he knew at a bus stop.

Yes the special buses are included in the passes or tickets... same bus just instead of a number, it says special and goes for us tourists to the beach.... although on the way back, the driver did stop once to pickup someone he knew at a bus stop.

#7 bus to Horseshoe Bay or a special bus~~ask and the drivers are very happy to help you!:)

Thank you very much for the information!!

Lori

Archived