White bay terminal

Hi,

Its been a while now since cruise ships have been operating from White Bay .Haven,t heard many reports either good or bad.My concerns would be getting there and the lack of facilities eg: acconmmodation,restaruants etc.....Anyone have any opinions betwwen White Bay and Darling Harbour?

Cheers

Col:)

Col for us on this side of the bridge it is easy to get to ... straight down Victoria road hang a right at the end and follow the signs that take you back around under the Anzac bridge to the terminal.... they don't allow access via is it Roberts rd... not sure... I think that would stop traffic banking up on Victoria rd...

the terminal is light and airy with a really nice looking coffee shop in the corner...

lots of windows to look at the ship too...

just not many options on getting there with no public transport... I drove there from darling harbour carpark and it only took me 5 mins ( non peak )... I believe a taxi from there is around $20 -$25

Hi,

Its been a while now since cruise ships have been operating from White Bay .Haven,t heard many reports either good or bad.My concerns would be getting there and the lack of facilities eg: acconmmodation,restaruants etc.....Anyone have any opinions betwwen White Bay and Darling Harbour?

Cheers

Col:)

The terminal is modern, large, clean, sheltered and plenty of taxi's await your disembarkation. :) Problem is, it is in an isolated area. No cafe's, restaurants, pubs, shops, accommodation or public transport (bus is 1.5 klm's walk). And despite being near other ferry routes, no ferries.:mad:

My other concern is that it is only suitable for ships that can pass under the bridge. When Princess and P&O modernize their ships in a few years, it will become a white elephant.:mad:

It is stating the obvious that a second terminal is needed east of the bridge.:confused:

The terminal is modern, large, clean, sheltered and plenty of taxi's await your disembarkation. :) Problem is, it is in an isolated area. No cafe's, restaurants, pubs, shops, accommodation or public transport (bus is 1.5 klm's walk). And despite being near other ferry routes, no ferries.:mad:

My other concern is that it is only suitable for ships that can pass under the bridge. When Princess and P&O modernize their ships in a few years, it will become a white elephant.:mad:

It is stating the obvious that a second terminal is needed east of the bridge.:confused:

It's isolation from public transport options is an issue for most people.:D

I agree wholeheartedly

we get the retired ships from other routes, and given there are no more small ships left to come here , the only ones able to still get there will be the prestige boutique ships. They need to revitalise garden island and move the navy out to botany bay or further - they don't need to be where they are

redevelop that whole area

keep cruisin

I agree wholeheartedly

we get the retired ships from other routes, and given there are no more small ships left to come here , the only ones able to still get there will be the prestige boutique ships. They need to revitalise garden island and move the navy out to botany bay or further - they don't need to be where they are

redevelop that whole areakeep cruisin

I think that cruising into Sydney Harbour in the future , will only be for the rich.

We should enjoy it while we can.:rolleyes:

I think that cruising into Sydney Harbour in the future , will only be for the rich.

We should enjoy it while we can.:rolleyes:

I think cruising on overseas ships might be unafordable soon givien the way our dollar is sliding......maybe some of the american based ships may may rethink australia

I think we have it quite good when you think how far away the cruise terminals are in Brisbane or Melbourne. I agree that public transport options are not great but it's not too bad.

Actually most of the cruise ports in major cities all over the world are quite a distance from the CBD.

I think cruising on overseas ships might be unafordable soon givien the way our dollar is sliding......maybe some of the american based ships may may rethink australia

The Aussie Dollar is quoted today at a 30 month low of 93 cents to the US Dollar.

Cruise ships were still sailing full in the 80's, 90's and 00's with the Dollar between 65c and 90c.

The only difference may be there will be less Aussies and more other nationalities on board as it becomes a more advantageous option for them. It is all very cyclic. If you love cruising you will find a way.

I do not think they will change their opinion of these shores being a viable commercial option for them.

Based on your cruise history listed the exchange rate for 1 Australian Dollar to 1US dollar was .51 cents, in 2008 .94 cents

in 2009 .80 cents in 2012 1.01 cents.

Almost a 100% difference in the exchange rate but the ships were still here and you still cruised.

I do not think they will change their opinion of these shores being a viable commercial option for them.

Based on your cruise history listed the exchange rate for 1 Australian Dollar to 1US dollar was .51 cents, in 2008 .94 cents

Almost a 100% difference in the exchange rate but the ships were still here and you still cruised.

Yes, where there is a will there is a way, people will find the money no matter what the conversion rate.:D

I think we have it quite good when you think how far away the cruise terminals are in Brisbane or Melbourne. I agree that public transport options are not great but it's not too bad.

Actually most of the cruise ports in major cities all over the world are quite a distance from the CBD.

True! And unlike cyclical tourism industries, our defence force isn't.

The Aussie Dollar is quoted today at a 30 month low of 93 cents to the US Dollar.

Cruise ships were still sailing full in the 80's, 90's and 00's with the Dollar between 65c and 90c.

Cruise ships sail full wherever they are.

However, when the AUD was lower, the number of cruise ships here was far fewer. All the cruise lines have reported a massive increase in sales and passenger numbers from Australians. And as a result have bumped up the number of foreign ships that come here.

Back in the 90s you only really had P&O here, plus some occasional visitors.

As the dollar drops its better for the cruise lines and their overseas passengers. When the dollar was at its lowest the Americans just loved getting 2 Au dollars for every 1 of theirs....and every cruise ship that called stocked up on liquor like crazy while they were down here and left our shores with their storerooms overflowing with cheap liquor ...

They won out both ways

bought it cheap in Au $

sold it on board by the glass in US$

Why would they want to cruise anywhere else?

thats true i did cruise but i brought my USD when our $ was at its highest kept and took onboard in cash when i cruised...so the low USD in 2008 ,2009 didnt affect me as i had USD in cash as i have for when i go in November.

Archived