Carnival's insurance protection vs Travelguard or other third party...which to choos?

jc5455

Hello all! So last year I went on a Carnival cruise and got third party insurance through travelguard for cheaper. Luckily, I did not need it. I am going again this year, but Carnival's insurance is actually cheaper than if I went through travelguard. Does anyone know or have experience with either? Is the insurance Carnival offers worth it? Or should I pay more for TravelGuard? My gut is saying to stick with Travelguard, but I don't know. They seem to be pretty comparable when I look at them both side by side. I'm just worried that Carnival's is somewhat shady or if I really needed it I would regret it. :confused: Any advice would be much appreciated! I need to purchase it very soon....thanks!

If you are leaving for port early or staying after your cruise and if you are flying, the Travel Guard policy can cover that. The Carnival insurance is only going to cover the cruise itself.

Carnival's plan includes cancellation/interruption coverage for independently-booked air.

"Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefits For Independently Booked Air

We will reimburse you, up to the amount in the Schedule for the amount of prepaid, non-refundable, and unused Payments or Deposits.

Post-Departure Trip Interruption For Independently Booked Air

We will pay a Post-Departure Trip Interruption Benefit, up to the amount in the Schedule, if due to your, an Immediate Family Member’s, Traveling Companion’s or Business Partner’s Sickness, Injury or death or Other Covered Events as defined: 1) your arrival on your Covered Cruise Vacation is delayed; or 2) you are unable to continue on your Covered Cruise Vacation after you have departed on your Covered Cruise Vacation. For item 1) above, the Sickness or Injury must: a) commence while your coverage is in effect under the plan; b) for item 2) above, commence while you are on your Covered Cruise Vacation and your coverage is in effect under the plan; and c) for both items 1) and 2) above, require the examination and treatment by a Physician at the time the Covered Cruise Vacation is interrupted or delayed; and d) in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so disabling as to delay your arrival on your Covered Cruise Vacation or to prevent you from continuing your Covered Cruise Vacation."

This can be a savings as you don't pay more to cover the air tickets -- it's included in the base premium. With TG or other third-party insurers, covering the air will undoubtedly increase your premium.

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/Vacation-Protection-201205pdf.ashx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would always recommend that you never buy the vendor or carriers insurance. 99% of the time it will only refund you with a credit in the event your travel is interrupted. For most people, they do not want to be beholding to a specific vendor. For instance, Carnival may have been the cruise of choose this year but what about next year? What if Delta was the airline you picked for this trip but they do not have frequent flights to your desired location next year? A third party provider should insure on a cash basis.

For instance: I heard of a passenger checking in and going aboard her ship for a seven day cruise. During lunch she decided she wanted off the boat. Even after having checked in, the third party insured her for 80%. No questions asked. Pretty good deal.

Personally I don't recommend anyone travel without insurance. Will the airline compensate you for canceling your flight and you missing your cruise? Will the cruise line care that it was the airlines fault and your yours? You just never want to be stuck in between large providers. Let insurance resolve it for you...and protect you.

I would always recommend that you never buy the vendor or carriers insurance. 99% of the time it will only refund you with a credit in the event your travel is interrupted.

Do you have any data (specific to cruise lines insurance) to support that?

Be sure to read the fine print. Trip cancellation coverage often does not cover cancellation of the cruise by the cruise line or mechanical breakdown.

The cruise lines normally refund cruise fare & offer a discount on a future cruise, even reimbursing a limited amount for airline change fees. But you could still be out the cost of prepaid hotels, tours, rental cars. If you planned other travel at your destination any non- refundable costs are also not covered.

Our next cruise to Australia includes 2 post cruise flights within Australia, non refundable tours, and partial prepayment of hotels. If the cruise should be cancelled we would be out a lot of money. When I bought the travel insurance I was thinking about coverage if we had to cancel, not if the cruise line cancelled; now I have my fingers crossed:eek:

Archived