Tuxedo and Evening Gown on "Dress Up Or Not" night?

QuackXP

My fiancee and I will be taking our honeymoon on the Norwegian Sun for the Oct 9th Caribbean sailing. Our previous experience cruising has been with Princess where on formal nights men are expected to wear a suit (or a jacket at a minimum) on formal nights. My fiancee and I prefer to dress up more formal and I wear a tuxedo and she wears an evening gown.

My question is how much of a minority will we be in on the Norwegian Sun? If we will be the only two so dressed up? We would prefer to have some more formal photos taken during our honeymoon as well as casual ones.

Also are jackets a rare occurrence in the MDR for regular nights? What about the upper end restaurants?

Thanks in advance.

I've only done two NCL cruises, a 3 day Bahamas and a 7 day Bermuda. The formal nights were not as formal as the RCCL cruises we had been on. DH did not wear a suit and tie on either NCL cruise. I vaguely remember a couple of people very dressed up, but they were definitely the minority.

My opinion is, if you want to get dressed up go for it. I missed that on the 7 day but the people we were travelling with were more casual so we didn't force the issue.

No. You will not be alone. There will not be a huge number of persons dressed up, but you will see enough to not make you feel out of place. I will not be dressing up, but we do very much enjoy watching those that do.

I would say the majority of men will be wearing nice shirts and docker style pants or dress pants, even on the Dress Up or Not Night. You see some men in jackets, but not many. Women usually wear nice dresses, pants, not many wear long gowns.

But, NCL is freestyle, so you can dress to please yourself. A hush is not going to fall over the dining room if you walk in wearing a tux. About as dressy as I get on a cruise is a nice cocktail dress or something I would wear to a wedding reception.

My fiancee and I will be taking our honeymoon on the Norwegian Sun for the Oct 9th Caribbean sailing. Our previous experience cruising has been with Princess where on formal nights men are expected to wear a suit (or a jacket at a minimum) on formal nights. My fiancee and I prefer to dress up more formal and I wear a tuxedo and she wears an evening gown.

My question is how much of a minority will we be in on the Norwegian Sun? If we will be the only two so dressed up? We would prefer to have some more formal photos taken during our honeymoon as well as casual ones.

Also are jackets a rare occurrence in the MDR for regular nights? What about the upper end restaurants?

Thanks in advance.

You'll be in the minority for sure IMO on NCL. There will be others dressed up, but not like is common on other lines.

Do what works for you and give less thought to what others wear - that's the freestyle way ;)

I would say the majority of men will be wearing nice shirts and docker style pants or dress pants, even on the Dress Up or Not Night. You see some men in jackets, but not many. Women usually wear nice dresses, pants, not many wear long gowns.

But, NCL is freestyle, so you can dress to please yourself. A hush is not going to fall over the dining room if you walk in wearing a tux. About as dressy as I get on a cruise is a nice cocktail dress or something I would wear to a wedding reception.

No hush, but probably a lot of women commenting on how great you look in your tux and a lot of men commenting on your sweetie in her gown!

My hubby and I spent many cruise days in tux and long gown; nowadays he will go with nothing less than a jacket. We like to dress up a bit for the dinners - we both think it adds to the beautiful atmosphere. Buts that's just us. We're not "bothered" by those dressed in more casual attire. We're just happy after nearly 45 years to be enjoying each others company.

Based on our recent experience on Jade you will definitely be in the minority.

If you want to stand out from the crowd, and because of the occasion, make it more special and perhaps get some nice photos (at a charge of course), then go for it.

Jade was our first time on NCL and it certainly isn't in any way similar, even on the dress up or not night, to what you will have experienced with Princess.

You are certainly free to wear anything you like within the guidelines of NCL. You do ask if you will be in the minority and the answer is yes, a very small minority. Probably less then 10% and more likely 5% will wear anything more than dockers and sport/polo shirt. There will be a good number of folks in the atrium for photo's in nice clothes, mostly they go change after. It matters not if you go to the MDR or specialty restaurants, they will all be dressed the same.

You will stand out, you will not be made fun of or pointed out, but will be a very small number. Do what makes you happy and enjoy your cruise!!!

No hush, but probably a lot of women commenting on how great you look in your tux and a lot of men commenting on your sweetie in her gown!

My hubby and I spent many cruise days in tux and long gown; nowadays he will go with nothing less than a jacket. We like to dress up a bit for the dinners - we both think it adds to the beautiful atmosphere. Buts that's just us. We're not "bothered" by those dressed in more casual attire. We're just happy after nearly 45 years to be enjoying each others company.

My sentiments exactly. We don't get much chance at home to dress up a little, so it is nice to be able to do so on a cruise, and although DH would draw the line at a jacket, he does have some beautiful dress shirts. We love to people watch on our cruises and I am still hoping to run into the guy who wears kilts on dress up night!

We still like to dress up when we go out to dinner at home and there are people at the restaurant in jeans or less formal yet. We just enjoy our selves. We have always dressed up for the Dress up or not night because we like to do the portrait thing too. We don't feel out of place because it is what we want to do. Go for it and a premature congratulations on your wedding.

PS We do try to go to a specialty restaurant on the Dress up night and that makes it even more special.

As for the second part of your question about specialty restaurants...

If you are wearing a polo shirt and a pair of trousers you can eat in ANY dining room on NCL. No jacket required anywhere anytime.

Not just polo and trousers, but even jeans and a t-shirt.

In my experience, with the exception of a Med cruise on the Jade in the winter, which had a different demographic (and different weather!), you have to look pretty hard to even notice any difference between "Dress Up or Not Night" and every other night on NCL....

OP: congrats on your honeymoon, dress as you want, and enjoy it. (But yes, you'll be in the minority.)

Relatedly -- over in the Celebrity forum, there are always threads by folks asking about "dressing down" on Formal Nights and getting chastised by other posters.... Two cruise lines with very different cultures....

Who cares what the others are wearing on "Dress Up or Not" nights!?!? If you guys like to wears a tux and gown, then do it! Admittedly, you will be in a very small minority.

That's the way my wife and I look at it. We are in formal wear every dress up or not night and sometimes other nights too. It's a great way to get formal pictures taken.

My only problem is the number of gowns my wife wants to bring on our cruises because she "doesn't know what she'll feel like wearing."

A hush is not going to fall over the dining room if you walk in wearing a tux.
We were actually applauded by many in the MDR once when we arrived in formal wear on a non "dress up or not" night. I have to give all the credit to my beautiful wife as she was even more stunning than usual.

Archived