another twist on the air deviation question

trvlfan

okay- first timer here...

We are taking a transatlantic from Miami to Barcelona, staying in Barcelona an extra 3 days, and will only use O's air on the return flight. I know that this is an automatic air deviation.

This question is about the 270 day advance booking date. I always thought that would be 270 days prior to the start date of the cruise, but since I am not using air at the start, only on the return, my TA says the 270 day "count" is from my actual return air date. This would mean 14 days cruise plus 3 days post stay = 17 days additional wait.

So, according to my TA, the actual air deviation dialogue could not start for an additional 17 days after the start of my cruise? Is she correct?:confused:

We were able to book both deviated flights, to Stockholm and home from London, at the 270 day before the cruise point.

Even if they won't let you book it at the 270 day before point, as you are only using the return part, they should let you book 253 days before the cruise, which is 270 days before you use your return flight.

Is this clear as mud?

Marian

We were able to book both deviated flights, to Stockholm and home from London, at the 270 day before the cruise point.

Even if they won't let you book it at the 270 day before point, as you are only using the return part, they should let you book 253 days before the cruise, which is 270 days before you use your return flight.

Is this clear as mud?

Marian

Thanks Marian-

It is a bit muddy:p, but I am guessing I will be booking our return at the 253 day point . I know I am not "allowed" to talk to O directly when booking air with them, but I may just call them and ask the general question...

That is kind of odd. I had the 270 day point marked in my calendar assiduously for our TA in the other direction from yours (BCN to MIA). But it was 270 days from the date of our departure from MIA, which would be a week before the cruise. But when my TA checked with O, they said I couldn't request the flights until 270 days before the start of the cruise itself.

A bit contrary to your experience. Perhaps they are not consistent with this?

That is kind of odd. I had the 270 day point marked in my calendar assiduously for our TA in the other direction from yours (BCN to MIA). But it was 270 days from the date of our departure from MIA, which would be a week before the cruise. But when my TA checked with O, they said I couldn't request the flights until 270 days before the start of the cruise itself.

A bit contrary to your experience. Perhaps they are not consistent with this?

confuses me too, although you will be using your air at the beginning (not the end like me) - and perhaps you are also flying in a few days early before the cruise, so your arranged flight, may very well be one week prior to the start date of the cruise out of BCN....

I seem to recall having to wait a bit longer to book the return flight ..but we were doing a B2B so maybe that was why

It was only a couple weeks from the 270 out mark ....so not a big deal

We just booked our air thru Oceania's air deviation. The first flight was 270 days out but we were able to book the return at the same time. In fact, we have always booked the round trip at the same time; however, if you just book the return, then you will have to wait the appropriate number of days to book -- that's what we did several years ago. Arlene

To add something else to the air deviation mix: I also marked our calendar for the 270 days out (May 29, 2013) for the air deviation request for our February 2014 Australia/New Zealand cruise on Marina. I submitted our request and received the reply that they could not process our request as Oceania has not confirmed 2014 air line contracts yet, probably the end of July 2013 and to resubmit our request around that time. Has anyone else experienced this:confused:

Maria

To add something else to the air deviation mix: I also marked our calendar for the 270 days out (May 29, 2013) for the air deviation request for our February 2014 Australia/New Zealand cruise on Marina. I submitted our request and received the reply that they could not process our request as Oceania has not confirmed 2014 air line contracts yet, probably the end of July 2013 and to resubmit our request around that time. Has anyone else experienced this:confused:

Maria

Yes just check back with them when they suggested

Sometimes I guess it takes longer to get the contracts in place

My TA was able to get flights once things were in settled

Lyn

It has to be booked by the return date, not the leaving date. However, you will find out. It is why we don't take ship air. However, we can't book our own round trip until that many days out from the return--not from the start.

I had my air booked 270 days before my cruise left on January 7th, 2014 and the return on February 11, 2014 was booked at the same time. They also allowed me to fly into a different city than where we are embarking as we are spending 10 days touring before we embark on the ship.

thanks all for your input. It appears that when one only uses the return air (Yes, we got credit back for not using the outgoing air from O- ), the deviation date is 270 days from the actual return flight.

We have another cruise going out this fall, and like everyone has stated, we were able to book the round trip, flying in one city, and returning from another - no problem there.

Glad also for the "heads up" tip about O's 2014 air contracts not being available until the end of July! Our "253" days wait takes us to July 25th, so now I am at least warned if I can't get ticketed until the end of month.

In the final result, when the 270 day count starts might not matter much other than to 'get it done'.

Airlines (sometimes due to airport authorities) change flights much more often now so 270 days from now things could be very different. US *might* be more prone to this - I don't know.

For example I booked an August flight from SFO in December. I chose that day and that airline because it was a late afternoon flight.

Three times I have had that flight changed. First time it was moved from 17:30 to 08:30. Cancelled and changed airlines and then had two further changes, the main one being change of plane and the seating had major change. Not a big deal as it is short flight but for a long haul it could be significant.

Bottom line is what you end up with could be different than what you start with. If they could only get that Star Trek Transporter working this mess would be resolved. We need either the airline industry sorted out or Jules Verne.

In the final result, when the 270 day count starts might not matter much other than to 'get it done'.

Airlines (sometimes due to airport authorities) change flights much more often now so 270 days from now things could be very different. US *might* be more prone to this - I don't know.

For example I booked an August flight from SFO in December. I chose that day and that airline because it was a late afternoon flight.

Three times I have had that flight changed. First time it was moved from 17:30 to 08:30. Cancelled and changed airlines and then had two further changes, the main one being change of plane and the seating had major change. Not a big deal as it is short flight but for a long haul it could be significant.

Bottom line is what you end up with could be different than what you start with. If they could only get that Star Trek Transporter working this mess would be resolved. We need either the airline industry sorted out or Jules Verne.

OMG!:eek:

With the long haul flights presumably coordinated with the connections, and sometimes flipping from one airline to another, with possible terminal changes as well - this could become a nightmare! Where's a "beam me up Scotty!" when you need it;)

Sorry - didn't mean to alarm just inform. Re-reading it does sound bad. Your arrangements just might go exactly as planned

Just take it as a heads-up to be pro-active and check your flights often and ensure they have not change the schedule nor equipment. I did receive mail notices each time but if I missed one or it got dumped in spam or ...

Sorry - didn't mean to alarm just inform. Re-reading it does sound bad. Your arrangements just might go exactly as planned

Just take it as a heads-up to be pro-active and check your flights often and ensure they have not change the schedule nor equipment. I did receive mail notices each time but if I missed one or it got dumped in spam or ...

good advice - will do!!!

Maria

This doesn't sound quite right. We have a cruise leaving February 22, 2014 and I was able to book air deviation 10 days ago, just at the 270 day window opening. I would have your TA check again and tell them that someone else has already used air deviation for the same time. They should have their contracts in place already. Arlene;)

This doesn't sound quite right. We have a cruise leaving February 22, 2014 and I was able to book air deviation 10 days ago, just at the 270 day window opening. I would have your TA check again and tell them that someone else has already used air deviation for the same time. They should have their contracts in place already. Arlene;)

Unless it is to Papeete. Last year for a February cruise, I could not get my air deviation to Papeete until the end of July. From what my TA told me, certain trips require more negotiation between Oceania and the airline servicing the port.

Archived