Inline double stroller vs umbrella + carrier

sherezada

We're going this July on the Freedom of the Seas, which will take us to Bahamas, St Thomas, and St Marteen.

This is our first time going on a cruise with two kids (3.5yr boy & 18-month girl). Last time we went with our first (he was 18 months then) we took our UppaBaby G-luxe, which was great because it was light and compact, but still reclined, so he could sleep in it with no problem.

However, now that I have 2, I'm a little scared about bringing just the G-luxe, and a baby carrier, like an Ergo (which I would have to buy, since I don't own one). What if they both want to sleep at the same time? Or if my toddler needs a break from walking? My 18-month can really put a strain on your back if you have to carry her for long periods of time.

We have a Britax B-Ready, which is an inline double stroller where both seats recline. It has been my savior for doing errands with the kids, since both of them are often asleep at the same time. It is 27 inches at its widest. The RC rep told me the width of my stateroom door is 28 inches, so it will barely fit.

In summary, here are my thoughts:

*G-Luxe + carrier

Plus: Easier to maneuver/carry. Takes less space in cabin

Cons: Not sturdy enough to hold tote bags/shopping bags. If both kids fall asleep or need to be carried at the same time, it might be painful to carry a child on my back for extended periods of time. Carrier might get too hot on Caribbean weather. carrying child plus potential bags might be a lot to handle

*Britax B-Ready double stroller

Plus: Can hold both kids at the same time. Good shade for both. Can sleep at the same time. Can double as a good place for holding bags when toddler wants to walk

Cons: Heavy, bulky. Might be harder to maneuver across the ship. Might take lots of space in cabin.

Here are some comparison pics between the 2. Maybe you can help me decide :) Of course, I am open to any other suggestions.

aa-4.jpg?t=1371735879

aa-5.jpg?t=1371735912

aa-9.jpg?t=1371737507

aa-6.jpg?t=1371735870

The issue is really the width and getting down the passage ways with cleaning carts and room service trays in the way, not to mention other strollers and wheelchairs too. You could always take the kids out of it to get into the cabin and then collapse it to bring it in.

Can you borrow a second, smaller stroller from a friend for the week? Or buy a cheap umbrella stroller? If it is only you travelling, obviously that won't work, but if you have a second pusher, it might be the easiest. Buying an Ergo is an option but will your younger one actually like it and not fuss? My son hated those things plus kids get heavy after a while.

Personally, I would try for another small stroller.

I did many cruises with my Graco double tandem, and we're usually in the smallest room. It was worth it to me to have the double and deal with the storage and having to fold it before bringing it in the room. But it didn't have those back wheels that stick out, which could be troublesome when navigating around the ship. If it's possible to borrow/buy a narrower tandem, that's what I would do if at all possible - maybe through Craig's List.

Best,

Mia

I'll second having a stroller for two. There's a stroller swap group in the yahoogroups message area, and they've always got stuff for sale. It might be worth looking into. 18 mos to me is more toddler than I'd want to carry for any length of time!

I'm in an almost exact situation! Going on the Freedom in September with a 3.5 yr old and 18 month old, and I also have a B-Ready (which I LOVE!) However, I think it will be too wide for the cruise so we aren't taking it. I want something small and maneuverable to get into the dining room/windjammer/etc and the rear wheels on the B-ready are too wide IMO.

There is also no way i'll be carrying DD in an ergo...she's 25 lbs now and kills my back, plus add in heat/humidity and the fact that she wants to be down and on the go.

This is our plan as of now... We bought a Britax Blink before last cruise with DS (who was 16m at the time, on Oasis) which is similar to the G-luxe. We are taking that for DD since it has a recline and sunshade, and are bringing our Maclaren Volo (mall umbrella, no recline) for DS when he needs it or we need it (embarkation, debarkation, and in ports most likely- or to transport from kids club at night) and it will store under the bed or in a closet b/c its so small. I am buying umbrella stroller connectors (link below) so that I can convert the two into a double if I need it (in port, etc)- but also have the freedom to only use one stroller or to split up with each kid and one parent if need be. The Volo and the Blink both have shoulder carrying straps, so if DS doesn't want to ride I can either push it as a double with the one side empty or even carry it on my shoulder (its 7-8 lbs).

I also plan on taking carseats into port for taxi's, and I've found that the Costco Scenera car seat (our travel seat) sits perfectly down into the Mac Volo, I've strapped the carseat to the Volo, put DD in the carseat and we're set- getting a bubblebum inflatable booster for DS.

Good luck!! I'm hoping this works and will be interested in hearing what you end up doing and how it works!

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/strollers/stroller-accessories/munchkin-stroller-links-20075-3943876

I'm in an almost exact situation! Going on the Freedom in September with a 3.5 yr old and 18 month old, and I also have a B-Ready (which I LOVE!) However, I think it will be too wide for the cruise so we aren't taking it. I want something small and maneuverable to get into the dining room/windjammer/etc and the rear wheels on the B-ready are too wide IMO.

There is also no way i'll be carrying DD in an ergo...she's 25 lbs now and kills my back, plus add in heat/humidity and the fact that she wants to be down and on the go.

This is our plan as of now... We bought a Britax Blink before last cruise with DS (who was 16m at the time, on Oasis) which is similar to the G-luxe. We are taking that for DD since it has a recline and sunshade, and are bringing our Maclaren Volo (mall umbrella, no recline) for DS when he needs it or we need it (embarkation, debarkation, and in ports most likely- or to transport from kids club at night) and it will store under the bed or in a closet b/c its so small. I am buying umbrella stroller connectors (link below) so that I can convert the two into a double if I need it (in port, etc)- but also have the freedom to only use one stroller or to split up with each kid and one parent if need be. The Volo and the Blink both have shoulder carrying straps, so if DS doesn't want to ride I can either push it as a double with the one side empty or even carry it on my shoulder (its 7-8 lbs).

I also plan on taking carseats into port for taxi's, and I've found that the Costco Scenera car seat (our travel seat) sits perfectly down into the Mac Volo, I've strapped the carseat to the Volo, put DD in the carseat and we're set- getting a bubblebum inflatable booster for DS.

Good luck!! I'm hoping this works and will be interested in hearing what you end up doing and how it works!

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/strollers/stroller-accessories/munchkin-stroller-links-20075-3943876

Just ordered these for myself! So glad I found this thread. Wasn't sure what I was going to do as my double stroller is a side by side! I figured I'd bring my 2 umbrella strollers but was worried about DH and I wanting to go seperate ways! This solves the problem (I hope!)

OK, I am now thinking on getting this collapsible wagon. It has a canopy and everything

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QGUFDO/ref?=projecthaki03-20

Just look at how comfy these kiddos look sleeping in it! That was my main concern. I actually think my kids will sleep better in this that the B-Ready, since they can fully lay down.

61PrYGfHrtL.jpg

61sLArH2SVL.jpg

Plus, it can easily double-up as a place to carry tote bags, shopping bags, and beach stuff when the kids are out and about.

Sure, it is probably too wide to go through halls, but I think we'll be fine with getting the kids out and folding it to get into the hall, and viceversa. It sure seems easier to carry that the B-Ready when folded!

You might want to call the cruiseline to find out if you can actually use that on the ship. I did check the prohibited items list on the Royal Caribbean website and it doesn't list a wagon or anything close to it as being prohibited on the ship but I would check with them before you spend the money. In reading some of the reviews on the link you posted, a few people posted that Disney theme parks don't allow that wagon in their parks because they consider it a tripping hazard. It might be hard to pull that in port too if you plan on shopping. Probably a lot easier to push something instead of pull.

Something to consider would be two separate umbrella strollers and a set of Stroller Connectors.

We took a 17 day TA on the Carnival Magic, Barcelona to Galveston and this worked very well for us for my then 2 and 4 year olds. The benefits are they collapse smaller than a tandem stroller and you can separate them so parents can split up and do different things.

What we would do was keep the strollers separate when strolling off the ship and then connect them together and stroll around the port, shopping etc. If you go somewhere thats a bit narrow, disconnect them and push the two strollers separately.

Here is a link to the stroller connectors: http://www.princelionheart.com/site/t_str_6550.html

We always travel with two single strollers. That way, DH can take 1 kiddo somewhere, and I can take one kiddo somewhere else. Usually, we travel with a Baby Jogger City Mini for the baby, and a Maclaren Triumph for the older child. I also babywear, so we bring a BabyHawk Oh Snap for the 4 year old, and a Gemini for the 2 year old too. That way, we have lots of options depending on the situation. My 6 year old actually fits in the BabyHawk for short periods of time, though she only gets to ride if she is exhausted (42 pounds is killer, but doable for an hour or less).

I'm so sad! I just bought my $450 tike tech DOUBLE stroller for my cruise on 9/1-9/7 on the allure thinking it will help me carry stuff and my kids off ship with ease. Now everyone says its too big to get through the hallways with the cleaning carts. I wonder if they would just let me leave it at the front desk or something and I can grab it on the way out. Anyone know how I could find out?

The Phan Family

Cruising on Allure 9/1/13-9/7/13

I'm so sad! I just bought my $450 tike tech DOUBLE stroller for my cruise on 9/1-9/7 on the allure thinking it will help me carry stuff and my kids off ship with ease. Now everyone says its too big to get through the hallways with the cleaning carts. I wonder if they would just let me leave it at the front desk or something and I can grab it on the way out. Anyone know how I could find out?

The Phan Family

Cruising on Allure 9/1/13-9/7/13

They will not store items like this at the guest services desk. Even if they would, you would have to make a special trip to get it as guest services (closest thing to a "front desk" on the ship) is on deck 5 midship and you disembark for ports from deck 2 forward or aft. Also, there is an escalator down to disembarkation area (we folded & carried umbrella stroller so I'm not sure the way it works if you can't take the escalator--I know they have to have options but just not sure how it works).

Archived