Barcelona Taxi instead of cruise transfers

We booked our cruise on RCI Liberty OS in October and are going to stay at the travel agency offered Hotel 1898. I am trying to decide on whether to book transfers with them or just take a taxi. We need transfer from Airport to Hotel 1898 and then from Hotel 1898 to cruise and then at end of cruise back to airport. They are charging about $210 for two of us. Does anyone know approximately what a taxi fares would be? We have an early flight at 10:30AM at end of cruise so need to get off ship early - wondering if a taxi would be better or use the transfers. Any help would be appreciated.

We took taxi's, for 4 people and 4 suitcases from the airport to Sagrada Familia area was E50 (even though I read on here that it would be E30 - 35) then from Sagrada Familia to the port was E27, with again 4 people and 4 suitcases. The meter read E17 but the lady taxi driver insisted that there was extra charges so we paid what she said. Wish we hadn't. It still was a better deal than Carnival's transfers for 4.

Taxi from airport to cruise port is about €35, make sure you let the taxi driver know you want a receipt for the meter price and only pay that price, no matter what they say. If you want to tip for handling of luggage, it's usual to pay €1 - €2 per case.

The approximate costs for taxis (depending on time of day and traffic) would be

Airport to Hotel 1898 €25-30

Hotel 1898 to cruise terminal €15-20

Cruise terminal to airport €30-35

The total for the 3 journeys would be about €70-85 ($90-112). Much cheaper than the $210 quoted by the cruise line. Also, if you go by taxi, you can go when you want to without having to wait for others.

To get a 10.30am international flight you will need to be at the airport by 8.30 at the latest. The journey to the airport is about 30 minutes but could take longer if traffic is bad.

What time is your ship scheduled to dock?

I would suggest you do RCI’s self-disembarkation (assuming you are able to carry your own luggage). That should get you off early and near the front of the taxi queue.

For more information and for other transport options have a look at my Barcelona Information pages (link in my signature)

We took taxi's, for 4 people and 4 suitcases from the airport to Sagrada Familia area was E50 (even though I read on here that it would be E30 - 35) then from Sagrada Familia to the port was E27, with again 4 people and 4 suitcases. The meter read E17 but the lady taxi driver insisted that there was extra charges so we paid what she said. Wish we hadn't. It still was a better deal than Carnival's transfers for 4.

Was this in 2013 (taxi fare structures changed in January 2013)?

Assuming it was a weekday between 8am and 8pm airport to Sagrada Familia should have been about €30. This includes the extra airport charge of €4.20. Sagrada Familia to the port should have been about €20 including the €4.20 extra port charge.

If it was before 8am or at a weekend it would have been more. Also, if you were held up in traffic there would have been an extra cost. There is no longer any extra charge for luggage.

However, these extras should have been on the meter. You should never pay more than is shown on the meter.

:) Hi Carol!

Figured I ask. Of the private ptranser from BCN to barcelona city, do you prefer one over the other? We are a party of five and only one of us truly speaks spanish. Of the fivem 2 are seniors that is why we are considering the private transfer.

Thanks!

:) Hi Carol!

Figured I ask. Of the private ptranser from BCN to barcelona city, do you prefer one over the other? We are a party of five and only one of us truly speaks spanish. Of the fivem 2 are seniors that is why we are considering the private transfer.

Thanks!

The company we always use is BCN Travel. Just ask for an English speaking driver when you book.

Other companies that people on CC have used and have been happy with include

Sun Transfers

Barcelona Airport Transfers

A2B Transfers

I don't know if these companies have English speaking drivers - you can always ask them when getting a quote.

The company we always use is BCN Travel. Just ask for an English speaking driver when you book.

Other companies that people on CC have used and have been happy with include

Sun Transfers

Barcelona Airport Transfers

A2B Transfers

I don't know if these companies have English speaking drivers - you can always ask them when getting a quote.

Thanks Carol! I used BCN :)

Taxi, have your hotel arrange a taxi in the morning, even with traffic, luggage and port fees it will be far cheaper than shipline transfers.

As I have said before, taxis no longer charge extra for luggage but remember - if your hotel arranges a taxi you will pay extra. It is always possible to find a taxi in central Barcelona at any time of day or night.

I agree though that either a taxi or a private transfer is usually much cheaper than a cruise lines's transfer. And, usually, more convenient.

We are just back from Barcelona, and want to warn people that the quoted fares are not what you pay! Our friend lives in Barcelona, and both he and the hotel said the taxi's WILL charge extra per piece of luggage and extra people. We were quoted 25-30e from airport to our hotel on Las Ramblas, and it was 40e. To the ship we were quoted 10e, and it was 20e! either I was ripped off (very possible) or English in Spain has not taken a taxi lately. That said, it still may be better to do a taxi.

I was going to do a private transfer, but be careful. The ones I looked at are prepaid, and they state they will only wait for so long (usually an hour) for you. Our plane was 2 hours late, so I'm glad I didn't prepay. Maybe they would have waited, but who knows!

We are just back from Barcelona, and want to warn people that the quoted fares are not what you pay! Our friend lives in Barcelona, and both he and the hotel said the taxi's WILL charge extra per piece of luggage and extra people. We were quoted 25-30e from airport to our hotel on Las Ramblas, and it was 40e. To the ship we were quoted 10e, and it was 20e! either I was ripped off (very possible) or English in Spain has not taken a taxi lately. That said, it still may be better to do a taxi.

I was going to do a private transfer, but be careful. The ones I looked at are prepaid, and they state they will only wait for so long (usually an hour) for you. Our plane was 2 hours late, so I'm glad I didn't prepay. Maybe they would have waited, but who knows!

I am sorry I disagree.

Here is the 2013 taxi fare chart

You will see that luggage is 'free and mandatory'

For comparison, you can see the previous chart here

Even then you will see they only charged €1 for each piece of luggage. To take your fare from €30 to €40 you must have had a lot of luggage :rolleyes:. A standard taxi is only licensed to take 4 people - if they charged you extra how many of you were there?

Even though your friend lives in Barcelona, he may not be aware of these new fare structures. They are no longer allowed to charge extra for luggage or extra people. Other elements of the fare have been increased to make up for this.

You should never pay more than is on the meter. Ask for a receipt and you will find the price will be as metered. If they charge more they are liable to lose their licence.

What time of day was your journey from the airport to Las Ramblas? Was it a weekday? Were you held up in traffic?

City centre to the ship I always give an estimate of €15-20 so your fare there was about right.

I was in a taxi from the airport recently to Hotel Colon (2 people with luggage and a walker). It was a weekday at around 11am and the fare was €27

We too are recently back from Barcelona and used a taxi on 3 occasions. Each time we paid the amount shown on the meter which was in line with what Carol has posted above. None of the times did we pay extra for luggage.

I emailed The Metropolitan Taxi Institute (IMET) in Barcelona to double check the current situation of extra charges for luggage and additional passengers.

This is a translation of their reply

Good morning.

In Barcelona there are now NO supplements for luggage and number of people.

You must report these acts because it is a problem that affects you and us

Hi Carol: I have been reading all your helpful tips and have a question. We are staying in Barcelona after our cruise and I have just started searching for transport to the airport. Our flight leaves on a Sunday morning at 7am, so we have to leave quite early to be checked in. I am assuming that a taxi would be the best way at that time of day. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Carol: I have been reading all your helpful tips and have a question. We are staying in Barcelona after our cruise and I have just started searching for transport to the airport. Our flight leaves on a Sunday morning at 7am, so we have to leave quite early to be checked in. I am assuming that a taxi would be the best way at that time of day. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, I would say, at that time in the morning, a taxi would be your best alternative.

For a 7am flight you will need to be at the airport by 5am which means leaving Barcelona by 4.30.

It is normally possible to get a taxi at that time. Where are you staying? You can get your hotel to order a taxi but that will cost an extra €4-5.

The alternative is to pre-book a private transfer.

I emailed The Metropolitan Taxi Institute (IMET) in Barcelona to double check the current situation of extra charges for luggage and additional passengers.

This is a translation of their reply

Good morning.

In Barcelona there are now NO supplements for luggage and number of people.

You must report these acts because it is a problem that affects you and us

Carol,

I have appreciated reading your postings, you seem very knowledgeable too!

Can you tell me how I would purchase a cell phone that I would be able to use in Europe for a few weeks?

My husband & I are traveling with our daughter and family so we are a party of 7; I do foresee getting separated and needing to find one another.

Carol,

Can you tell me how I would purchase a cell phone that I would be able to use in Europe for a few weeks?

My husband & I are traveling with our daughter and family so we are a party of 7; I do foresee getting separated and needing to find one another.

I am not sure how it works for people from US.

For those of us that live in Spain we have to register to buy a cell phone (we call them mobile phones) - even a pay as you go phone. We need to show ID and prove where we live.

Is it not possible to use your normal phone with a roaming facility added. This is what we do when we go abroad.

Maybe someone else can join in to give you more information from their experiences

Carol,

We use this with success:

http://www.telestial.com/

Archived