When did you let your kids....

kiwi121210

Stay in their own room??? We are planning on Hawaii in Dec '15 and our kids will be 12, 9, and 8 by that time. They are good girls and even better sleepers! When they are out they are o-u-t, OUT!

I want a Balcony room for DH and I so we would try to find a room across the hall for the kids. Just looking for ideas as to when people start letting their kids sleep in their own room.

We do have a plan to share two extended balcony rooms with my Dad, so that is plan number 1 but just planning in case he can't go.

At that age, you will have to book one of the adults and 2 kids in one room and another adult and the other child in the second room. They are too young to be booked in their own cabin. Once you are onboard you can sleep anyway you choose.

We had our kids in the room with us till they were teenagers, but you know your children better than anyone else.

While you have to book them that way once you are on the ship they can all go into the same room.

They are at the right age where they should be able to be in their own room. Just be very clear about the rules and be sure there room is adjacent to yours.

Keith

We have 3 kids and until they were in thier late teens we always brought along my DH's brother and he stayed with the boys and our DD stayed with us. BIL was very sad when the kids were old enough to stay by themselves. He got a lot of great trips. We paid his cruise fair and airfair and he usually paid for his excursions and bar bill.

we just did this in March. This was our first cruise though. I booked 2 rooms...balcony was named with husband and son, inside room across the hall was named with myself and daughter. onboard, we went to guest services and arranged the keys. My kids were 11 and 12 at sailing and they loved it!! We were thankful for the extra space, and they loved having "their own space". We had no behaviour issues either.

You know your kids. Talk to them about it! I'm sure they will be just fine with it;)

They should be fine. On our upcoming cruise I have my daughter (12) and my girlfriend's son and daughter (14 and 12) in their own room right next to ours. I actually booked the rooms with the kids in 1 room and the adults in the other room. My daughter is the head of the room as she is a past guest for the room rate. We have just told them that after a certain time every night we will be calling their room and they better answer or we will have to start restricting them. They are all good kids though and I don't foresee any issues.

My girls are good kids. And being all girls they really tend to stick together. I just hope my dad can come so we can have the two balconies together.

Looks like I am on the right track for ages! Thanks so much for input!!

We are looking at doing the same thing. Does anyone know if guest services can program my room key open both my room and my kids room ?

That is a very good question! I was considering just having one of the kids leave their S&S card in our room at night so we can get in if necessary.

We are looking at doing the same thing. Does anyone know if guest services can program my room key open both my room and my kids room ?

No, but you will get another key for their room so you will have one for yours and one for their room.

Keith

When at home they sleep in their own room(s) down/across the hall, why not on the ship?

They are at the right ages for this.

With that said if you have two five year olds just because they have their own room(s) at home they are certainly not ready for a separate room on a ship.

The key in this case is two fold: Age along with maturity.

Keith

They are at the right ages for this.

With that said if you have two five year olds just because they have their own room(s) at home they are certainly not ready for a separate room on a ship.

The key in this case is two fold: Age along with maturity.

Keith

I disagree.

Stay in their own room??? We are planning on Hawaii in Dec '15 and our kids will be 12, 9, and 8 by that time. They are good girls and even better sleepers! When they are out they are o-u-t, OUT!

I want a Balcony room for DH and I so we would try to find a room across the hall for the kids. Just looking for ideas as to when people start letting their kids sleep in their own room.

We do have a plan to share two extended balcony rooms with my Dad, so that is plan number 1 but just planning in case he can't go.

No comment/advice on if to do it but...

You may want to check with Carnival about them allowing the girls to be booked into a non-balcony cabin. There is something about children under 13 having to be booked into a balcony room I believe.

SERIOUSLY - leave 3 young girls in their own room on a cruise ship - NEVER!. Not at even 18 would I want it.

:eek: So when will they be old enough to have their own cruise cabin? after college? 25? Once they're married?

I don't have any children so this is interesting to me how some parents are OK at preteen, teen years? But not even at 18? What gives?

Guest services will give you an extra key to their room. I gave a friend a key to my room on my last cruise. It said: Mr. Key Only on it :)

My kids all sleep in their own rooms now and in our new house 2 kids will be in the basement all by themselves. Yes they would be in an interior room, but this is ONLY if my dad can't come with us. They have been cruising before and will be cruising again. I think on a cruise that long we all need our own space anyway.

I didn't want to start any drama, just when people started letting their kids have their own room.

People often say you must book one adult with one child in one cabin and another cabin with another adult and child. I guess that would apply for special past guest rates or whatever that your children may not be eligible for but from Carnival's standpoint they make exceptions for families travelling with children and allow children or minors (age specific to types of rooms and locations that can be booked) to be booked into cabins alone. I think this would save the headache of having to go to guest services upon boarding and switching out keys etc. Just seems like it should be booked as desired from the get go. I guess I often wonder why its not done that way, other than the one poster above who said he did :)

As someone already pointed out no they will not program your card but you will get the extra card that looks like this.

ImageUploadedByForums1371835765.106539.jpg.d895e96905903df3895b07eff294b0da.jpg

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

Yes they would be in an interior room, but this is ONLY if my dad can't come with us.

This is the thing I think you need to check on with Carnival. Because I believe there is something about under 13 having to be in a balcony room not an interior. I'm not postitive but I would check.

When at home they sleep in their own room(s) down/across the hall, why not on the ship?

Because the ship is like a floating city. You have the good and the bad. Running a background check on all the passengers and crew? Would you let 3 girls sleep alone in a big city hotel? If and when something happens to one of your girls you will be the first one to blame Carnival. It is not about whether or not they are good girls - it is about protecting them from predators.

We let our BOYS have a room when they were 14 and 18. The younger one was bigger and stronger than his older brother. We knew they could defend themselves if need be.

Archived