what to do on a rainy day with kids?

D&beach&J

Hello.

My granddaughters (age 7 and 11) will be cruising for the first time at the end of June. What do you do with kids when you encounter a rainy day at sea?

Is there a game or craft you bring from home that has helped occupy your child?

Thanks!

When I took my boys (5 and 7 at the time) on their first cruise I found that I didn't have to bring any "extras" to keep them occupied. We had a total of 8 sea days on that cruise and they were never bored. They were begging to go to the kids' club all the time and I practically had to drag them out of there at closing time. We also spent a week at Disney World that year, and when asked whether they would prefer to cruise or go to Disney again, they both said cruise. (With only a moment's pause to think). So, if the kids' club appeals to them you may not need anything. It would have been wasted space for me if I'd brought much of anything.

That's right....the kid's clubs will keep them busy and occupied...they probably won't even notice if it's raining! And remember...it will be quite warm, even if it's raining...unless there is lightening or thunder, the pools will still be usable!

There are usually plenty of things to do. Usually there will be things for kids to watch on the TV, movies, kids club activities, etc. My 7 year old granddaughter took a coloring book and crayons but they never came out of her backpack.

When you first get to your cabin, there should be a packet of info with the day-by-day schedule included, about the groups your kids will be in. You take them to the rooms the first night and sign them up while they're meeting their new friends. The next morning the activities begin.

My girl started cruising at 23 months and was able to be in Camp Carnival on her second cruise when she was 3. Every morning she would wake up and ask if "ship's school" was open.

• 2 weeks later...

My kids have never been one to beg to go the kids club. We always encourage them to check it out, which they reluctantly do, but when we go to pick them up, they ask us what took us so long! To each their own.

We often stop off somewhere before we board to pick up some snacks for the cabin, extra sunscreen and we let the kids pick out some kind of toy, usually Lego to play with in the cabin. We often have some quiet time in the afternoon in the cabin as a respite from the crowds and the heat, and the kids don't complain about leaving the pool because it is a chance to play with their new toys.

Archived