Island Princess Inside vs Obstructed OV

Cy'all@C

This will be our fourth cruise to Alaska and decided to do it "on the cheap" this time and just get on the ship to join some friends. Last minute deals for a week are insane right now. (Inside at $302 and Obstructed OV at $352.) From the pics I've seen of the obstructed views, I think I'd rather an inside. Would we be lowering our chances of an upgrade to a non-obstructed OV (or better yet, a balcony) by booking the inside? Those who have had an obstructed view, what was your opinion on it? Would you do it again? I appreciate your thoughts.

Trudy

Everyone has a different opinion as it's a personal choice. I would prefer the OV if only because I like natural light, even if there's no view. With the OV, you can still see whether it's sunny or raining. Of course, you could also see that by turning on the TV and checking the webcam but looking out a window is better. At least, to me.

Upgrades are based on supply and demand which changes with every cruise. No way to predict. Most upgrades are the same cabin to a different location.

Most of my Princess cruises have been with the obstructed view. Once almost the entire window was not obstructed, the other 2 times, the lifeboat was in front of our window. To me, the light in the morning is important so I favor the OV even though not perfect.

i would prefer the OBV to an Inside. But in Alaska the best views are from one of the upper or promenode decks so if money is important go with the inside. You can use the $100 you save on something else.

Three for three for obstructed over inside. The price difference is minimal so I think we'll go for the obstructed view and hope we get one with more light than lifeboat!

This thread has wonderful photos of the cabins with obstructions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1501475&highlight=obstructed+cabin+pic

Thanks for responding.

Trudy

I also opted for the OBV on our upcoming Diamond cruise. Here was my reasoning:

If I book an inside and get upgraded to an inside, I haven't really gained anything in my view, although Princess values some insides over others. I also could end up very low in the ship.

With an OBV, if we don't get upgraded, I'm on a floor not far from outside access, handy for Alaska. If I get upgraded, I would still probably be on a deck that would be close to the outside exits, and I could get a cabin that I would consider an upgrade.

I'd definitely do the Obstructed Oceanview if you can. We've sailed in both and prefer the OBOV because you at least get some view. Ours have been virtually unobstructed, so we've been blessed. The ones that are mostly blocked would be frustrating, but you'd still at least be able to see the ocean a little. See if you can choose your own and use Renmar's resource for views. If you have to do a Guarantee, it'll be a gamble but still worth it in my opinion. Have a great cruise!

• 3 months later...

We had an inside on an Alaska cruise several years ago. I liked it because it was dark at night. In Alaska in June the sun is up until after midnight. I have a hard time sleeping if the sun is shining. I know you can close the curtains but it is nice to have a dark room to sleep. We had to go up top to really see anything anyway.

Archived