International Flight out of Vancouver (to US)

PeterTellus

I meant to post this in the Vancouver forum and can't figure out how to delete it.

I haven't flown from Canada to the US in a long time.

I see people talking about going through immigration at the YVR before getting on the plane.

What is involved? The last time I flew from Canada I went through customs after I landed?

I am confused.

I meant to post this in the Vancouver forum and can't figure out how to delete it.

I see people talking about going through immigration at the YVR before getting on the plane.

What is involved? The last time I flew from Canada I went through customs after I landed?

I am confused.

When we returned to the US through YVR on our last trip, first we checked in at the airline desk. Then we took our bags through/to security (that took about 5-10 minutes). The bags were then taken to the airplane. We went through security (where you have to take off shoes and send all your stuff from your pockets through the scanner) (about 20 minutes). Then we went through a really long line (last time it was an hour and 10 minutes) before presenting our passports to immigration. Then we were off to the gate to wait for the plane.

I am confused.

As most US airports don't have significant Customs and Immigration, most Canada-USA flights are pre-cleared before leaving Canada. It's a matter of having 8 stations in Canada (YVR,YYC,YEG,YWG,YYZ,YOW,YUL,YHZ) vs having 40 or 50 in the US for airports that only have one international flight, and that's to Canada. There was a stat somewhere that YYZ/Toronto is something like the 5th busiest US Airport of Entry, and I do know that YVR clears waaay more flights into the USA than SEA does

Anyway, you check in, go through security, and after security you clear US Immigration and Customs (notoriously long lineups unless you have Global Entry or Nexus). Once you're through that you're in a special wing of the airport with no access to other wings, and no exit without 're-entering Canada' 1st. This at YVR is called the "Transborder Wing" or easier to think of it as all the E-gates.

It does have a nice advantage that you arrive in the USA as if you were a domestic flight, and nothing special to do other than pick up your luggage.

Last I checked there were still a couple of flights that left YVR late in the evening to the USA out of the C or D gates, after US Immigration closes, and weren't pre-cleared; as well as the one 5th freedom flight on Cathay Pacific YVR-JFK. For those flights you're still going to have to clear at your destination.

You will check in at the desk.

You will then go through security.

You will then clear USA immigration.

All of this can take a while so don't book a flight before Noon if disembarking a cruise ship that morning.

Keith

You will check in with your airline then walk with your luggage a few paces behind the podium where you will place your luggage on conveyor belts. You will then pass trough a large duty free store then on to US Customs followed by security.

Passport scanning kiosk were installed at YVR last month and are available for all US citizens with passports returning home. These have eliminated the need for US citizens to complete the CBP declaration form, 6059B. By all reports these have dramatically reduced line ups at US customs. Here is a link that describes the process.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-YVR/customs-immigration/us-customs-border-protection/AutomatedPassportControl.aspx

You will check in with your airline then walk with your luggage a few paces behind the podium where you will place your luggage on conveyor belts. You will then pass trough a large duty free store then on to US Customs followed by security.

Passport scanning kiosk were installed at YVR last month and are available for all US citizens with passports returning home. These have eliminated the need for US citizens to complete the CBP declaration form, 6059B. By all reports these have dramatically reduced line ups at US customs. Here is a link that describes the process.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-YVR/customs-immigration/us-customs-border-protection/AutomatedPassportControl.aspx

Thank you for the detailed response. We are flying home from YVR for the first time next year so this is good news :)

Is there any way to find out how many international flights will be leaving around 6:00AM on August 7?

PT

Check the YVR.CA website next Wednesday for departures; that will be the best way of seeing roughly how many flights leave around that time on a Wednesday.

Is there any way to find out how many international flights will be leaving around 6:00AM on August 7?

PT

What time do you plan to arrive at the airport for your 6:00am?

We have a 6:30am flight and wondered how early counters and security lines open up. We're trying to figure out when to arrive.

We have a 6:30am flight and wondered how early counters and security lines open up. We're trying to figure out when to arrive.

US customs opens at YVR at 0400, at that hour of the morning you will have lots of time even if arrive as late 0500, you will be well ahead of the masses from the cruise ships. Take advantage of the new passport scanners and you will go to the head of the line.

We got through security and customs in 15 minutes at 11AM yesterday...the passport scanners were great!

This is the first I ever heard of the passport scanners.

Can you still go through as a family, scanning all passports in for only 1 customs declaration form?

Or does each person have to do their own?

I am only guessing but as a passport is personal, I would expect each person has to scan their passport and answer the questions then each take the receipt it issues to the CBP agent. This is the only way the CBP and DHS knows who is entering your country. Effectively what these scanners do is save the CBP agents the time and effort of scanning everyone's passports, asking how long you have out of the country, where have you been then examining the 6059B form, stamping it ......

I have a 6:30AM flight and am staying at the Holiday Inn Express Richmond. Their first shuttle is at 4:15AM and takes 10-15 minutes to get to the terminal. We plan to be on that shuttle or the next one.

Dave

I am only guessing but as a passport is personal, I would expect each person has to scan their passport and answer the questions then each take the receipt it issues to the CBP agent. This is the only way the CBP and DHS knows who is entering your country. Effectively what these scanners do is save the CBP agents the time and effort of scanning everyone's passports, asking how long you have out of the country, where have you been then examining the 6059B form, stamping it ......

Yes, I know that each passport would have to be scanned. But US immigration/customs declaration forms are usually 1 per family. Usually the whole family goes up to the agent together and fills out only the 1 form with all family members names on it. If each person has to answer all the immigration/customs declaration questions individually at the kiosk then that might not save significant time. Possibly after scanning the first it may ask if other family members are traveling with you, and give you the opportunity to simply scan the other passports also before completing the customs questions?

I have a 6:30AM flight and am staying at the Holiday Inn Express Richmond. Their first shuttle is at 4:15AM and takes 10-15 minutes to get to the terminal. We plan to be on that shuttle or the next one.

Dave

Thanks. Knowing when the shuttles start running is a good guide. We are also staying near the airport but will have a rental car to return so will have to allow a few minutes for that.

Yes, I know that each passport would have to be scanned. But US immigration/customs declaration forms are usually 1 per family. Usually the whole family goes up to the agent together and fills out only the 1 form with all family members names on it. If each person has to answer all the immigration/customs declaration questions individually at the kiosk then that might not save significant time. Possibly after scanning the first it may ask if other family members are traveling with you, and give you the opportunity to simply scan the other passports also before completing the customs questions?

Yes, I am quite familiar with the 6059B procedure and it is possible that one person can answer for the immediate family on the passport scanner. However, somehow I doubt it as when using the NEXUS scanners at YVR and other airports each person must answer for themselves.

Maybe someone else will be along with a more informed answer.

I put this in the wrong area earlier. I am flying out of Vancouver at 1:09pm after a Millennium cruise. Will I have any problem with this flight time if I take a cab from the ship to the airport? H

You should have no problems with just after 1pm.

I put this in the wrong area earlier. I am flying out of Vancouver at 1:09pm after a Millennium cruise. Will I have any problem with this flight time if I take a cab from the ship to the airport? H

None what so ever, in fact you will probably be twiddling your thumbs at the gate a full hour or so before your flight time.

If you click on this the link to this thread you will some very good information re the passport scanner kiosks at YVR.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38911849#post38911849

None what so ever, in fact you will probably be twiddling your thumbs at the gate a full hour or so before your flight time.

The Hotel I got downtown was the

Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites

I got it for a total cost with taxes of $147.30. Base rate was $118.75.

Did I get a hotel that is OK for that price? I am just sleeping there for one night. I get there around 9:00pm and leave around 11:00 am the next morning. H

Archived