First one on RCI

Ok if I were to take a cruise on one of these ships which one would you take first?? I have only been on Carnival so I don't know these ships at all!! Not that I am going to jump ships but you never know what might happen!! Do I go BIG or do I go small??;)

When I am thinking of cruising, I look at the itinerary and then the ships. I compare time in ports then narrow my search down to the ship. We love the Radiance Class because of their ease of getting around and the views it offers. Each ship offers their own good points. The Freedom Class is a stretch version of the Voyager Class with a Royal Promenade ( Shops places to eat, drink almost the intire length. Now we have the Oasis and Allure & QOS. I would start off with at least a Radiance Class then move up so you have something to compare to. You will have a wonderful cruise I am sure whichever Class you go with.

It would help if we knew what you look for in a cruise. Are ports or ships most important to you? What do you look for in a ship? RCI has very beautiful and tastefully decorated ships. However, the different classes of ships offer very different design features and amenities. And that can very much affect your cruise experience. When I choose an itinerary I am just as concerned with the class of ship that is sailing it as I am with the ports of call.

It would help if we knew what you look for in a cruise. Are ports or ships most important to you? What do you look for in a ship? RCI has very beautiful and tastefully decorated ships. However, the different classes of ships offer very different design features and amenities. And that can very much affect your cruise experience. When I choose an itinerary I am just as concerned with the class of ship that is sailing it as I am with the ports of call.

Same here. I love the Southern Caribbean. I've sailed on AOS and Serenade.

I preferred AOS for the promenade . Loved the sea views on Serenade but the centrum is very small for events. JMO.

When I am thinking of cruising, I look at the itinerary and then the ships. I compare time in ports then narrow my search down to the ship. We love the Radiance Class because of their ease of getting around and the views it offers. Each ship offers their own good points. The Freedom Class is a stretch version of the Voyager Class with a Royal Promenade ( Shops places to eat, drink almost the intire length. Now we have the Oasis and Allure & QOS. I would start off with at least a Radiance Class then move up so you have something to compare to. You will have a wonderful cruise I am sure whichever Class you go with.

Gay, this is exactly the same advice I would offer a new cruiser to RCI;):)

It may or may not help since we haven't done any RCI cruises yet but all of my research has led me to choose Jewel as our first. Itinerary and time of year gave us our initial guidelines.

Good choice. Jewel is stunningly beautiful, probably the most beautiful of all the Radiance-class ships (which I happen to love):)

Ok if I were to take a cruise on one of these ships which one would you take first?? I have only been on Carnival so I don't know these ships at all!! Not that I am going to jump ships but you never know what might happen!! Do I go BIG or do I go small??;)

Look at itinerary that you like on:

Voyager class

Freedom class

Oasis class

We have enjoyed them all. We have sailed smaller class ships too. Our favorite cruise was on Adventure of Seas, a Voyager class ship. It was a special cruise with special friends and lots of fun memories. DW and I sailed Allure of Seas, an Oasis class ship by ourselves and really enjoyed the variety of activities on ship, including the Solarium where we landed most mornings next to a small bar who when opening at 11:00 am would, after the first day, just bring me my Boddington's beer! :)

I like the southern and western ports!! mid size ship I guess is what I like!! I haven't been to ST. Thomas, St john's or any other ports like these!! I like a good sea day port day cruise mix it up!! In truth I just like to cruise and thought I would try out RCI:)!!!

Guest maddycat

Try an Eastern Caribbean cruise. I like the ports much better than the Western Caribbean ports. Or maybe you'd like a Bermuda cruise or one that includes Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Afternoon Karen, I know we will never cruise below the Radiance Class ships and would love to sail on the Jewel. We have done the Brilliance 2004, Radiance 2008 and again for our 2014 Australia trip and can't wait to be on that ship again for that one. We had a wonderful time on the LOS but prefer the Radiance Class.

Gay

Are you taking kids with you or is it just adults? In my experience, when taking the kiddos, the bigger the ship, the better.

If its just my wife and me, then we might opt for a Radiance class ship and a Southern Caribbean itinerary. But with the kids, Freedom or Oasis class all the way for the Flow Riders and myriad other activities aboard. Whatever you select, I'm sure you'll enjoy, but the Allure and the Oasis are true spectacles.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm in the same boat as you, I have never cruised RCI but we are looking into it for next year but it's going to be for ports this time. I have been to Bermuda on Carnival but it was only for a very very short time and then it was over a Sunday. So looking at the Grandeur for next year, we haven't exactly pinned down the dates yet, but having more than one day there will be so nice. But my dream cruise would be to experience the Allure, maybe one day that dream will come true. I wish Carnival would go back to Bermuda but doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon, we can only wish. Enjoy which ever cruise you pick.:)

If you really want to see something different than what you'll find on Carnival, go big. Try Oasis or Allure for tons of things you won't find on other lines. A bar that moves up and down 3 stories, water shows, dancing fountains, broadway shows, ice shows, surfing, zipline, and a lot more.

...Good choice. Jewel is stunningly beautiful, probably the most beautiful of all the Radiance-class ships (which I happen to love):)

Thanks for the vote of confidence! It helps that we found a really fabulous rate, a nice chunk of OBC and dates that fall right over my partner and I's birthdays. Having to fly to San Juan adds a bit of cost but it's an easy jump from central Florida!

OP, if you are attracted to the southern itinerary, that's what Jewel is doing. We come from having cruised only Disney so it's a different kind of transition but I'm ready to branch out and see new things.

Our schedules are pretty darn flexible, we have no kids, and are a sucker for a last minute deal. So here we are.

We have sailed on the Jewel, right up to the Allure. My favourite is the voyager class has everything you need, but not too big. Eastern caribbean is my favourite itinerary.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived