Radiance best cabin?

I know that everyone seems to think 9256 is the best cabin but what if it's not available? We are looking at booking southbound on Radiance next summer. We have sailed with Royal many times but never on this class ship. Obviously, want a balcony (maybe a jr suite). Also do the balconies open between two cabins. We are traveling with friends and so enjoyed our balconies opening between us when we were in mini suites on Princess.

Thanks for any tips!

Our favorite cabin is 9660 on the aft. We love the depth of the balcony, the center view of the wake and the larger overhang for shade. The partition on the balcony did not open. Radiance class afts are our favorite!

Dolfans from Miami

I know that everyone seems to think 9256 is the best cabin but what if it's not available? We are looking at booking southbound on Radiance next summer. We have sailed with Royal many times but never on this class ship. Obviously, want a balcony (maybe a jr suite). Also do the balconies open between two cabins. We are traveling with friends and so enjoyed our balconies opening between us when we were in mini suites on Princess.

Thanks for any tips!

Balconies do not open between staterooms in Radiance class ships.

We book more Mid Ship and presently have the JS 1044 booked for our two cruises next year out of Sydney, Aust. Everyone has their favorite location so that will be the best for them. For the Radiance Class I book 6 to 10 rooms forward of the lifts. I don't wish to be next to the corner hump because then you can't see around so move a little forward of that area.

Just back from Radiance southbound and we had JS 1602 which was a fabulous size room & balcony. We've had D2 9256 on Brilliance and it was great also. Have JS 1100 booked on Serenade for Europe so then I'll be able to compare all three!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How come no one mentioned the RS as the best? I'll trade my 1100 for the RS if I don't have to pay extra:eek::p

This is exactly what I was thinking. Every time someone asks "Which is the best Cabin?", The only answer could be the ROYAL SUITE 1558!

Especially on the Radiance because there is only one of them. ;)

The best cabin for SOUTHbound Alaska is port side. You can see the scenery of the snowcapped mountains from INside your stateroom with the curtains open. 1100 would be fine but the view is much better from inside if you are directly port side. I'd pick something between the forward stairs and the centrum stairs. That way you will be able to see into the bridge when they are bringing the ship into port. I like watching the captain and his team at word. If I'm not directly mid hump, which you can't be from the port side, I prefer to be half way forward from the hump.

We are recently off northbound Radiance, starboard side, and the views were beautiful nearly the entire way to Seward.

Also, if you get to pull in closely to Hubbard Glacier and want to see it from your balcony, the captain will have one side of the ship facing the glacier, then slowly turn so the other side faces it. The view while you are sitting there isn't as great from aft. Sure it's nice...but definitely not as nice as a full on side view when your side is facing the glacier and you have the full 180 degree view - left to right - of the entire massive Glacier.

Gina

Edited by mommabean

JS 1100! Huge aft balcony. It's right above 9256.

1100 is OUR cabin for our next cruise.

I find just about anything facing aft. If we plan a D1 vs. the Junior Suite, 1100, we generally go for 1104....center facing aft.

Best thing about aft-facing cabins you ask? You will be able to enjoy the view on BOTH sides of the ship. No worries about missing something because you are on the wrong side.

Check them out on You Tube....

Radiance of the seas cabin 1100

Radiance of the seas cabin 1104

Nothing beats an aft! Enjoy

Edited by Donut23

Just back from Radiance southbound and we had JS 1602 which was a fabulous size room & balcony. We've had D2 9256 on Brilliance and it was great also. Have JS 1100 booked on Serenade for Europe so then I'll be able to compare all three!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Awwwwwwwwe. That was our cabin 7 years ago tomorrow when we were married in Juneau. Great cabin.....especially filled with flowers and Just Married decorations.

1100 is OUR cabin for our next cruise.

I find just about anything facing aft. If we plan a D1 vs. the Junior Suite, 1100, we generally go for 1104....center facing aft.

Best thing about aft-facing cabins you ask? You will be able to enjoy the view on BOTH sides of the ship. No worries about missing something because you are on the wrong side.

Check them out on You Tube....

Radiance of the seas cabin 1100

Radiance of the seas cabin 1104

Nothing beats an aft! Enjoy

Hi donut

I have sailed on Radiance class several times in aft 9660. Have secured it again for our upcoming Med/Greek cruise in 2014. Usually book a year in advance to get it. Was wondering if you get any noise from the Windjammer in either 1100 or 1104? May want to try specifically the corner JS aft cabin in the future. Is it worth the extra $ for the JS?

Dolfans from Miami

Edited by dolfans0704

Hi donut

I have sailed on Radiance class several times in aft 9660. Have secured it again for our upcoming Med/Greek cruise in 2014. Usually book a year in advance to get it. Was wondering if you get any noise from the Windjammer in either 1100 or 1104? May want to try specifically the corner JS aft cabin in the future. Is it worth the extra $ for the JS?

Dolfans from Miami

We have sailed on the Radiance and the Brilliance a few times....always aft-facing cabins. We have sailed on deck 9 but prefer deck 10 for the convenience to the Jammer. (DH makes late afternoon runs for beer and snacks and bypasses the elevators).

Next trip is anniversary next year. We have not sailed since the renovations.

We have never been bothered by Jammer noise. I WILL say we are late night people and are generally tucked in bed early in the morning so we may sleep through any noise. Having said that, I have been known to sleep on a lounge chair on the balcony at night and still have not been bothered by noise from the Jammer.

This brings to mind a wild moment when it rained.....and I had my lounge chair out by the railing. DH does not wake gracefully and was shocked when I came tumbling back into the cabin with pillows and blankets in the middle of the night.

.....and again he was not as thrilled as I was the first time I saw the Southern Cross....at 3 am and wanted him to enjoy it too.

Perhaps WE made more noise than the Jammer later in the mornings!

Hi donut

Dolfans from Miami

Yes, me again.

Specifically - cabin 1100

Obviously the cabin is roomy but you will enjoy the bigger bathroom with the tub. I have had 2 knee surgeries and worried about launching over the edge of the tub but the extra room outweighs the inconvenience.

Large closet an added bonus but I find a regular D1 has plenty of storage for the 2 of us....and we always bring too much.

Cabin 1100's best feature is her balcony. Deep and wide, it wraps a little around the side of the ship...this area a little more roomy than 9256 just below. Not that we are antisocial, but you will only have neighbors on one side.

Downside, jammer guests can look over and see you. We have sailed "aft" on the Explorer (1688) and that Jammer is glassed in.

Checkout the you tube videos.

Hope this helped.

Ok, ok one more thought. :-)

You know how there is a big big overhang above cabins on the side of the Radiance? You don't have that aft. Yes, you will get rain on the outer edge of the balcony where the side balconies are protected. If you enjoy the night sky and stars, you have a better range of view from these balconies.....and the stars at sea are fabulous. You see so much more.

I am a former yacht captain so it's like visiting my old friends.

Since I was little I have stared at the night sky waiting for ET ( a UFO ). My 12 years on boats I watched every night. I am still waiting and watching.

TThanks, Donut, for all your info! You are welcome to "ramble on" regarding afts! I never get tired hearing others talk about their experiences on the different varieties of cabins. We just sailed Brilliance on the Baltics itinerary...fabulous! Sailing through the archipelago into Stockholm on the aft...amazing! Enjoyed it almost as much as the views in Alaska. The updates are great on Brilliance. She is a stunning ship and looking forward to welcoming her to Tampa, FL. We will be sailing her sister ship Serenade in May/2014 which has had the renovations in 2012. Thanks again for sharing your aft experiences. Maybe JS 1100 will be in our cards one day!

Dolfans from Miami

Edited by dolfans0704

TThanks, Donut, for all your info! You are welcome to "ramble on" regarding afts! I never get tired hearing others talk about their experiences on the different varieties of cabins. We just sailed Brilliance on the Baltics itinerary...fabulous! Sailing through the archipelago into Stockholm on the aft...amazing! Enjoyed it almost as much as the views in Alaska. The updates are great on Brilliance. She is a stunning ship and looking forward to welcoming her to Tampa, FL. We will be sailing her sister ship Serenade in May/2014 which has had the renovations in 2012. Thanks again for sharing your aft experiences. Maybe JS 1100 will be in our cards one day!

Dolfans from Miami

Thanks!

We find the Radiance class to be our favorites and enjoyed the Brilliance last fall in the Canadian Maritimes. Her crew was exceptional to me. I had heart surgery earlier this year and the problems became worrisome on this trip. Everyone took such good care of me.

At the last moment DH arranged fir a scooter which made the trip possible for me. By the end of the cruise everyone knew the sound of my little bike bell I added to the scooter.

By the way, we found the scooter fit surprisingly easy in 1104. It is a D1. I would come in, turn around and park alongside the sofa. There was still plenty if room to walk around. Only challenge was the doorway.

Some people left their scooters in the hallway which, in my opinion, obstructed the hall. It's very easy to deal with inside the cabin.....and easier to recharge.

By our anniversary trip I'll be back to total spunkiness with no need for a scooter! Woo Hoo!

We have it starting FRIDAY! I'll report back after! GIDDY!!

I think we have the best of all worlds...firstly we're doing the round trip up and back to Vancouver and we are in 9256, our buds are in 9594 Starboard. We'll be spending lots of time on both balconies.:D But for Hubbard, I think we've decided we'll be topside at the highest point we can be.

The best cabin for SOUTHbound Alaska is port side. You can see the scenery of the snowcapped mountains from INside your stateroom with the curtains open. 1100 would be fine but the view is much better from inside if you are directly port side. I'd pick something between the forward stairs and the centrum stairs. That way you will be able to see into the bridge when they are bringing the ship into port. I like watching the captain and his team at word. If I'm not directly mid hump, which you can't be from the port side, I prefer to be half way forward from the hump.

We are recently off northbound Radiance, starboard side, and the views were beautiful nearly the entire way to Seward.

Also, if you get to pull in closely to Hubbard Glacier and want to see it from your balcony, the captain will have one side of the ship facing the glacier, then slowly turn so the other side faces it. The view while you are sitting there isn't as great from aft. Sure it's nice...but definitely not as nice as a full on side view when your side is facing the glacier and you have the full 180 degree view - left to right - of the entire massive Glacier.

Gina

Gina, we always go north and then south. So what does that do to your perfect side:D:p

Gina, we always go north and then south. So what does that do to your perfect side:D:p

If I wanted the perfect side, I'd move sides. If I wanted convenience, I'd stay put. If I wanted an upgrade, I'd take the side they gave me. :)

It was cold out on our recent northbound cruise. Having starboard side provided beautiful views just standing there looking out from our balcony window. This was the first time we were on the perfect side in Alaska for the direction we were going.

No, we don't spend a whole lot of time hanging out on our balcony in the cold which is why I don't see an aft balcony as especially desirable for Alaska.

Gina