Canada/New England - Any advice appreciated!

This is our (husband and myself) first cruise and I'm bursting with questions. We are sailing on the Sea Princess to Canada/New England on October 14. I was wondering if anyone could advise on what to pack for the fall weather. Being from California, I am a little bit at a loss on what the temperatures will be at this time of year on the east coast. Don't want to overpack but don't want to freeze either.

Also, does anyone have any favorite excursions on this itinerary? We are on the 10-day cruise which includes Newport, Bar Harbor, Saint John, Halifax and Quebec City. Anything we shouldn't miss or shouldn't waste time on?

Bring some warm clothes ...fleece jacket , rain jacket, good walking shoes, Layers is the word... you never know what the weather will be like in Oct.

Old Quebec city is great place ..you can do it on your own

Check some of the tourism website for things you would enjoy doing.

There is lots to see and do

Hi !

I live in Quebec city so feel free to ask your questions and I'll try to do my best.

About October temperature, here is the link to "the weather network" web page. This page will give you the statistics for Quebec city month by month (max temp, min temp, average rain etc...) Don't forget that the temperature you see there are in Celsius. So you might have to do a little math to convert it in Farenheit...

As LHT28 said, you can walk by your own in Quebec city old town. But there are so many things to do / see around here. This is a link for the official Quebec city web site. You might find many answers to your questions there...

Have a great cruise !

Alain R.

Quebec city

Bonjour Alain R.!

We will be staying in Quebec City for 3 nights prior to our October 2 cruise. I am extremely excited to visit your city. We have reservation at the Auberge St. Antoinne, which is near the Old Port. Do you know anything about it? Is it in a good location for walking around? Unless they change our airline times again (it's changed 3 times since I booked the flights!) I expect to be to the hotel in the early afternoon. My basic plan is to take a horse and buggy ride that afternoon to get a feel for the area. I know I can ask my concierge, but do you know where the nearest buggy loading area would be? Are they all within the walled city?

Day 2, I think we are going to check out the old port area in the morning and take the afternoon tour which takes us to Montmoncery Falls.

Day 3 we'll go back to the walled city and walk around the area that looked most interesting when we took the buggy ride and maybe check out the Chateau Frontenac.

Any big things that I missed with this itinerary?

Bonjour Alain R.!

We will be staying in Quebec City for 3 nights prior to our October 2 cruise. I am extremely excited to visit your city. We have reservation at the Auberge St. Antoinne, which is near the Old Port. Do you know anything about it? Is it in a good location for walking around?

This auberge has a web site. Just click here to access their page. There is a map of the area and you will see that you are right in the middle of everything you want to see ! I have never stay there (well, don't have to ! :rolleyes: ) but from what I understand, it is a great place... You ship will be right accross the street.

About the buggy ride, I think there is a stop near the "traverse de Lévis" (the ferry to Levis). It is less than 2 minutes from the auberge.

By the way, as I write to you, we just got back from a walk in the area you will be... We love to go there every now and then in the summer and when there are cruise ships...

As for your plan for days 2 and 3, these are good choices. If you have not done so yet, please take a look at the links I gave you. You will find many many many information...

Any big things that I missed with this itinerary?

Well, yes and no... There are so many things to see and do around here. Of course you will miss things. But I think your choices will give you a good idea of our city... And I am pretty sure you'll want to be back soon ! ;)

Alain R.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year at this time, I spent 5 days in Quebec City. AlainBob is right. I want to go back again!!

I would add that if you want to find nice souvenirs and not spend a lot of time looking, there is a great gift shop in the Musee de la Civilizaiton directly in front of you at the dock. You do not need to pay an admission fee to reach the gift shop.

We will be on our fourth Canada New England cruise Sept 18-29th on the new Norwegian ship The Jewel. We love this area and just keep comming back.

In Newport on one cruise we took the bus tour the cruise line offered around the old historic homes belonging to the Rockefellers etc. We did not tour the homes as that was not offered but the tour was lovely and pointed out all of the beutiful homes and their history.

In Bar Harbour, I love to shop there. It is an absolutely delightful little town with many boutiques and gift stores. The cruise line usually offers a trip to Acadia National Park. I have not taken it but hear that it is worthwhile.One year we took a whale watching excursion that was offered but the water was too rough and the tour company could not take the tour boat out far enough to see whales. However we enjoyed the marine life that we did see.

seals and some other large fish plus many large summer homes on the route.

Saint John New Brunswick offers a tout to the Reversing Falls. WE saw them and just did not get it! I have heard others who loved it but I guess it is up to you.

Halifax offers a lot to do. There is the Halifax Historic Properites right at the waterfront. There is a beautiful walk along the waterfront with all kinds of boutiques and other shops. I like to shop if you had not guessed!

There is an exhibit called Pier 21 which is well done. It is the history of the immigration process for all those who disembarked at Halifax. We were able to go in to the office there and find the immigration information on my mother in lawa who arive dthere from England when she was 19 years old. She is now 98 yrs old. They can track the history of anyone who arrived in Halifax by ship.

there is also a Titanic exhibit which i have not seen but is apparently very well done.

An excursion to Peggy's Cove is great.Lovely village and lighthouse. One of the restaurants there specalizes in fresh lobster.

Quebec City is one of the most wonderful places on the cruise. The ship docks in the lower town and you can access the upper town by a Funicular railway. it is full of history. Lots of cobblestone streets. It is North America's only walled city. You can walk beside the wall and take in the history.

It is one of our most favourite cities in Canada. You will love it.

If you vcan, a French-English dictionary would be helpful to take with you.

Enjoy

In Quebec City if you have three days have you considered renting a car one day (or part of a day) and heading to Ile D'Orlean, Montmorency Falls and St Anne??? IMHO if you have that much time they are worthy additions to your plans.. Have visited Quebec summer and dead of winter and all areas are lovely any time.. On the island there are lots of farmer's stands in the summer, beautiful views of the river, villages etc. .. a very nice drive.. The Falls and St Anne can be added without a lot of extra driving, esp the Falls whicih are just about at the bridge from the shoreline to the island in the river. Also check and see if the "Changing of the Guard" ceremony is being held at the Citadel one morning and try to catch that! The old city/lower town area is quite charming and there are several museums etc. down there. There is also a beautiful mural on one side of the buildings in a square past the funicular heading north (a couple of blocks).. well worth a look.. very very realistic!

Caroline,

Do they change the guards at the Citadele year-around? I thought I read somewhere that it is only until Labor Day. I would love to see it, but don't want to arrange our day around it only to find out they don't change in later September.

We are toying with renting a car. I also have some info on a tour that includes Montmoncery Falls and Ile D'Orleans. Thanks for the great info!

Caroline,

Do they change the guards at the Citadele year-around? I thought I read somewhere that it is only until Labor Day. I would love to see it, but don't want to arrange our day around it only to find out they don't change in later September.

I found this link for the official web site of "La Citadelle de Québec"...

And this is what they say about the "changing of the guard":

The Changing of the Guard takes place daily from June 24th to the first weekend of September at 10 AM

Beating of the Retreat at 7 PM Friday, Saturday and Sunday at July 1st till the last Sunday in August

Ceremonies can be cancelled due to bad weather or operational consideration.

Hope this help !

Alain R.

Québec city

Well, dang, you will miss the ceremony.. I've only been to Quebec in the summer and the dead of winter! There are some good tours to the Falls and Ile D'Orlean if you don't want to rent a car... falls are lovely and if foliage is changing at all that would be a lovely half-day trip!

Archived