Goodie Bags

Most room stewards I talked to sent cash back to their family (if they were married especially). I think cash is best - but if you want to put a little something in there, feel free. It's always nice to add chocolate.

I usually do non-chocolate because of allergies. Felt a little validated when our main server on our last cruise (14 night WBPC) said he is allergic to chocolate.

If you want to make it more personal bring Thank You cards for either just a personal note or a note with additional tip. Nice thing is they don't take up valuable space or add weight if your flying. Our room steward took the time to write us a Thank You note one cruise and it meant the world to us. I always bring some, sometimes they get used and sometimes they don't. :)

BonVoyage

Dawna

Your cabin steward wrote you a thank you note? What on earth for? ("Thank you so much for the opportunity to wait on you?")

(I mean no offense by this question -- I seriously would like to know...)

Agree with those that say "cash is king." I always tip above the minimum so I bring thank you notes and thank them for the specific reasons they made my cruise memorable and then add my extra gratuity.

Another thing I have started to do is ask my cabin steward, waiter, etc if they are getting off in port. If so, I give them part of the added gratuity so they have some spending money for whatever they may need.

They seem to appreciate it.

One poster mentioned offering to pick up a few things for them if they are unable to get off the ship (toiletries, etc. ).

I plan to do that on my next cruise.

Hmmm --- passengers asking their cabin steward what they can pick up for him at the local discount store in port? I know that you are not the first to suggest this, but I certainly would love to hear how it would work out. This idea would never have entered my head... I know that ship employees work long hours for low pay (relative to U.S. standards), but somehow I never thought of treating them as objects of charity in this way. Rewarding them in cash, however generously, for their service seems a reasonable way to express one's satisfaction without robbing these people of their dignity. I have been served by some very attentive and capable waiters, hotel maids, and other service workers in various parts of the world, but having tipped them according to my satisfaction with their service, I have never thought to ask them if I could pick up some shampoo, deodorant or shoe laces for them at the local discount store. Am I missing something here?

Hmmm --- passengers asking their cabin steward what they can pick up for him at the local discount store in port? I know that you are not the first to suggest this, but I certainly would love to hear how it would work out. This idea would never have entered my head... I know that ship employees work long hours for low pay (relative to U.S. standards), but somehow I never thought of treating them as objects of charity in this way. Rewarding them in cash, however generously, for their service seems a reasonable way to express one's satisfaction without robbing these people of their dignity. I have been served by some very attentive and capable waiters, hotel maids, and other service workers in various parts of the world, but having tipped them according to my satisfaction with their service, I have never thought to ask them if I could pick up some shampoo, deodorant or shoe laces for them at the local discount store. Am I missing something here?

I guess I was thinking it would go more like this: "Hey, getting off the ship for the day. Is there anything you need that I could bring back for you? Something you don't have access to on the ship or can't get otherwise?" I wasn't looking at it as treating them as objects of charity or robbing them of their dignity. I'd do the same thing for someone I share a dinner table with in the MDR if they weren't getting off the ship. Just a nice gesture, nothing else intended.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You should bring them big stuffed animals.

They love those.

Another lady gave them photos of herself because the stewards like to have pictures of their favorite passengers to show to their own family..

Snicker....:p

Or you could bring them a sandwich from the buffet............where is that lady that does that?

CASH

I guess I was thinking it would go more like this: "Hey, getting off the ship for the day. Is there anything you need that I could bring back for you? Something you don't have access to on the ship or can't get otherwise?" I wasn't looking at it as treating them as objects of charity or robbing them of their dignity. I'd do the same thing for someone I share a dinner table with in the MDR if they weren't getting off the ship. Just a nice gesture, nothing else intended.

Precisely my point.

Awkward. I'd wait until they ask. These people are not your friends, companions, buddies. Their job is to serve you and make sure you are happy -- not vice versa. If they do a great job at that give them an extra tip. Don't make more of it than it is. Enjoy your cruise -- the sun, the food, the service, your husband, your friends -- don't concern yourself too much with the staff onboard because they will be different on your next cruise.

Before our last cruise, I found a list (perhaps here) of the most common nationalities of the dining room staff. I then made up a thank you note with thank you in all the languages of those countries. We were traveling in a group and all signed it. Our assistant server who I think was fairly new seemed very touched by it. Cash, of course, could be included.

Don't listen to the "grumblers."

Last cruise on the Brilliance we had an especially good waiter in Portofino....we enjoyed him so much, we dined there 3 times in 11 days and we are excellent tippers.

He had just returned from his break home where he had met his brand new baby girl. Listening to him talk about saying good bye to her at the airport would melt the heart of the most rabid grumbler here.

I always carry a phone card for me, for possible emergencies. I gave it to him the second night we dined with him. His eyes filled with tears and thanked us enthusiastically. The next time we saw him, he told us he had used the card.....just to listen to her giggle and coo.

Take the phone card, take your favorite candy bars, write a little note to go along with your extra tip. Don't be surprised if they are shocked you would take the time to do something special..........after all, they are probably used to the grumblers!

Your cabin steward wrote you a thank you note? What on earth for? ("Thank you so much for the opportunity to wait on you?")

(I mean no offense by this question -- I seriously would like to know...)

We've had thank you notes from several cabin stewards and once, from a waiter. Basically, they've said they enjoyed meeting us, thanked us for the tip (it was extra above the recommended) and wished us a safe journey home.

We also had a waiter who gave our 5 year old grandson a present the last night at dinner. She said he reminded her of her own son at home, and mentioned how much she enjoyed being able to interact with him each night.

Sherri:)

The only language universally spoken is "cash." What ever you pick will most likely not be anything your cabin attendant or other server will have any use for. They have a routine when they are able to leave the ship in port and know ahead of time if they are going to K-mart for something particular on that stop or something different.

Just save yourself the prep time and space in your suitcase and add that value to the cash you were planning to give. The only "gift" they want from you is a smile when you hand them the tip.

Totally agree. :cool:;)

You should bring them big stuffed animals.

They love those.

Another lady gave them photos of herself because the stewards like to have pictures of their favorite passengers to show to their own family..

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I actually burst out laughing after reading this. Self-photos, really? Also, in my opinion, giving mainstream candy like M&M's as a gift, is borderline insulting to anyone over the age of 12. Giving them as a gift is being patronizing to the crew. They're full-grown men and women who came from halfway around the world to find work, not uneducated heathens who are wow'ed by a bag of M&M's. Plus, American candy is sold in everywhere around the world nowadays. More often than not, it's inferior to the local kind in the crew members' respective countries. Heck, I've tried Polish chocolate bars sold in ethnic supermarkets around Chicago; so much better than Hershey's.

Despite the merits of giving candy, I stick to the classic, time-tested form of thanking the crew: a small amount of cash in an envelope (on top of pre-paid gratuities) and a handshake. I trust them to make their own decision on which candy to buy with the cash, whether the American kind from the ship's candy shop or the local kind in ports of call.

Phone cards are most welcome .:)

This never fails to come up and I just don't get it. If you're going to BUY a phone card, just give them the extra cash. Why put it on a phone card and make them use the money that way......:rolleyes:

You are at work, your boss tells you did a great job, you get your regular paycheck.

You have a choice

Your boss could put together a goody bag, he know nothing of your persobal tastes, think of all the crap it may have candy bars you do not like, trinkets from his home town, a phone card which you may not be able to use. It could be a bag of junk to you but precious items to your boss.

or

cash.

What would your family like crap or cash?

Very well put!

This comes up here from time to time, and the reality is that whomever is inquiring isn't looking for anyone's opinion, but rather simply validation of their own idea.

Personally, I think it's all crap. Give them cash and say thank you. Anything else is, in my opinion, a self-serving gesture. It's people trying to be unique and memorable. They're doing a job. They don't care about your home town, they don't want 50 random phone cards, and if they want a chocolate bar, they'll get one.

Give them cash. It's easier to bring with you than a bag of trinkets they are just going to throw away anyhow.

Of course, like I said at the beginning, I'm sure those who insist on giving them stuff will simply dismiss this opinion, because it doesn't serve their interest...

I usually bring thank you notes and write a personal thank you with the extra cash tip we give... I know how small the space is for the crew. We actually had a great waiter on our first 2 cruises that gave my daughter a small gift thought that was so special. She still has it (a small elephant from India)

You could give some beef jerky in exchange.

I say write that thank you card to the steward, but don't give it to your steward. Show it to them, and ask for the address of their boss. Address and mail it. As my boss is fond of saying, it takes 100 'atta boys' to make up for one 'awww s**t'. Most employers keep thank you cards from customers in their employee files and refer to them when review time comes. ;)

I usually do non-chocolate because of allergies. Felt a little validated when our main server on our last cruise (14 night WBPC) said he is allergic to chocolate.

Of course I'm so cynical that I would think his "allergy" claim really meant, "please give me money, not candy".

This topic never fails to amaze me. Want MORE ugly, unnecessary comments? Whisper the word tip and mousekeepers in the same sentence on the Disney boards. One grumbler showed their true colors when they said.....the $$$$ used to tip a mousekeeper is better served by buying myself a T shirt.

What's the big deal?

Why do you care if someone wants to take the extra step?

There was a thread recently about a group of Girl Scouts cruising. The "sprouts" wanted to take Girl Scout cookies for their cabin attendant, waiter, assistant waiter. Now how much more cute could that be!!!

I was shocked how ugly people were to the OP.......over a simple box of Girl Scout Cookies!!

Take that emotion and apply it toward something positive and let this poor OP enjoy planning something nice.

Nice can sometimes be highly under rated.

I say write that thank you card to the steward, but don't give it to your steward. Show it to them, and ask for the address of their boss. Address and mail it. As my boss is fond of saying, it takes 100 'atta boys' to make up for one 'awww s**t'. Most employers keep thank you cards from customers in their employee files and refer to them when review time comes. ;)

Send your letter to RCI in Miami. They make a very big deal both on the ship and in their personnel file. Last trip I mailed 3.

Awkward. I'd wait until they ask. These people are not your friends, companions, buddies. Their job is to serve you and make sure you are happy -- not vice versa. If they do a great job at that give them an extra tip. Don't make more of it than it is. Enjoy your cruise -- the sun, the food, the service, your husband, your friends -- don't concern yourself too much with the staff onboard because they will be different on your next cruise.

Exactly.

Don't listen to the "grumblers."

Last cruise on the Brilliance we had an especially good waiter in Portofino....we enjoyed him so much, we dined there 3 times in 11 days and we are excellent tippers.

He had just returned from his break home where he had met his brand new baby girl. Listening to him talk about saying good bye to her at the airport would melt the heart of the most rabid grumbler here.

I always carry a phone card for me, for possible emergencies. I gave it to him the second night we dined with him. His eyes filled with tears and thanked us enthusiastically. The next time we saw him, he told us he had used the card.....just to listen to her giggle and coo.

Take the phone card, take your favorite candy bars, write a little note to go along with your extra tip. Don't be surprised if they are shocked you would take the time to do something special..........after all, they are probably used to the grumblers!

Please.... Is there no limit to what you will believe?

We've had thank you notes from several cabin stewards and once, from a waiter. Basically, they've said they enjoyed meeting us, thanked us for the tip (it was extra above the recommended) and wished us a safe journey home.

We also had a waiter who gave our 5 year old grandson a present the last night at dinner. She said he reminded her of her own son at home, and mentioned how much she enjoyed being able to interact with him each night.

Sherri:)

Are you so gullible that you don't realize what they are doing?

This topic never fails to amaze me. Want MORE ugly, unnecessary comments? Whisper the word tip and mousekeepers in the same sentence on the Disney boards. One grumbler showed their true colors when they said.....the $$$$ used to tip a mousekeeper is better served by buying myself a T shirt.

What's the big deal?

Why do you care if someone wants to take the extra step?

There was a thread recently about a group of Girl Scouts cruising. The "sprouts" wanted to take Girl Scout cookies for their cabin attendant, waiter, assistant waiter. Now how much more cute could that be!!!

I was shocked how ugly people were to the OP.......over a simple box of Girl Scout Cookies!!

Take that emotion and apply it toward something positive and let this poor OP enjoy planning something nice.

Nice can sometimes be highly under rated.

I read that thread and I don't think it was ugly at all. Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't make them rude. IMO it is for the benefit of the guest to give anything other than cash. The giver wants to be thanked and feel appreciation for giving something. Just as in the other thread my opinion is they don't want your trinkets or candy. They work for money just like everyone else.

Archived