Not eating in MDR at all, fair to remove part of gratuities?

A tip is a VOLUNTARY payment for excellent service that you HAVE RECEIVED.

Not "could've received".

If you don't use a service, then you sure don't have to tip for that service! For example, if you go downtown and eat in one of the 8 restaurants on the block, do you tip YOUR waiter, and then go into the other 7 restaurants you DIDN'T dine at and tip 7 waiters who DIDN'T serve you? Of course not.

Do you tip the hairdresser even though you didn't go have her fix your hair? Of course not.

Do you give additional tip to the laundry service for being very careful with your 3 formals you "could've" had them press, but didn't? Of course not.

Do you tip the pool guard who "would've" gone out of his way to move extra chairs for your large party, but didn't because your large group never actually went to the pool at all? Of course not!

You have already paid for the cruise, which covers meals, basic activities, and the salaries of all parties who make the cruise/activities/meals possible. Now if you receive excellent service, you should tip the people who served you excellently.

But don't let anyone GUILT you into tipping for service you didn't receive! (Or call you names). If you don't use the Main Dining Room, do not tip for it. That's not called being cheap... it's called being conscientious, showing appreciation, and keeping others accountable and productive.

(Unless you're a person who DOES tip every restaurant on the block even when you don't eat there. In that case, go ahead and tip everyone on the ship, and tip me too, for the excellent conversation I COULD'VE provided if you had ever met me. I was there, just offering my conversation, and it's not my fault you didn't take advantage of the conversation service I provided... tip me, tip me, LOL)

To many posts to go thru all of them, but what kind of cheapskate would remove gratuities because they didn't use a service ? You may not see them in the MDR, but that's because they were working Windjammer or something else !

Who would leave a tip for a service that they are not going to use?

:rolleyes:

Not "could've received".

If you don't use a service, then you sure don't have to tip for that service! For example, if you go downtown and eat in one of the 8 restaurants on the block, do you tip YOUR waiter, and then go into the other 7 restaurants you DIDN'T dine at and tip 7 waiters who DIDN'T serve you? Of course not.

Do you tip the hairdresser even though you didn't go have her fix your hair? Of course not.

Do you give additional tip to the laundry service for being very careful with your 3 formals you "could've" had them press, but didn't? Of course not.

Do you tip the pool guard who "would've" gone out of his way to move extra chairs for your large party, but didn't because your large group never actually went to the pool at all? Of course not!

You have already paid for the cruise, which covers meals, basic activities, and the salaries of all parties who make the cruise/activities/meals possible. Now if you receive excellent service, you should tip the people who served you excellently.

But don't let anyone GUILT you into tipping for service you didn't receive! (Or call you names). If you don't use the Main Dining Room, do not tip for it. That's not called being cheap... it's called being conscientious, showing appreciation, and keeping others accountable and productive.

(Unless you're a person who DOES tip every restaurant on the block even when you don't eat there. In that case, go ahead and tip everyone on the ship, and tip me too, for the excellent conversation I COULD'VE provided if you had ever met me. I was there, just offering my conversation, and it's not my fault you didn't take advantage of the conversation service I provided... tip me, tip me, LOL)

Pfffttt exaggerate much?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Those are not good analogies. Do the waiters at land restaurants also bus tables and get drinks for you at the other restaurants on the street?

Not "could've received".

.......,, If you don't use the Main Dining Room, do not tip for it.

I don't agree with you. That definition is NOT how we tip anywhere I've lived. We tip whether the service we receive is excellent or not because the server only makes $2 an hour if we don't.

Also, the tips you are removing are not for the MDR but for everyone on the ship who serves you... Picks up your trash.... Cleans your toilet....washes your DOD glasses, etc. Petty to remove them IMO, shouldn't rob workers of their weeks pay just because of your choices. jmho

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Also, the tips you are removing are not for the MDR but for everyone on the ship who serves you... Picks up your trash.... Cleans your toilet....washes your DOD glasses, etc. Petty to remove them IMO, shouldn't rob workers of their weeks pay just because of your choices. jmho

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Whoa!!! Beep beep back up the truck!!!

Now you want me to believe the dishwashers and maintenance crew work for tips too!! Holy crap!! People-you are out of control!!! At least now it's getting funny and something to laugh at!!

Where's that post that someone wrote and said she throws money off the balcony to the guys taking the ropes off at sail away?? That was hysterical too!! And yes, that was in jest and made to be funny.

styxfire-I agree and many more here!!

Opinion poll....

On our upcoming Allure cruise, due to eating at 4 specialties and in suite the other nights most likely, we do not forsee us eating in the MDR at all.

We are on MTD (because early/late normal was not available), so our gratuities were prepaid when we booked the cruise. (that's a separate issue, we always pay gratuities gratefully, but do not like it being pre-applied).

Are we justified/ok with removing part of the gratuities from our bill? The webpage doesn't even break it down anymore, just 14.25/day/pp for our suite.

Again, we always tip, and often give extra for service above and beyond. And we do appreciate that the MDR service folks depend on their tips to flush out their wages.

We just do not see it as appropriate in tipping someone that we will never use and that will perform no service for us.

Your thoughts?

Someone who receives service in the MDR will tip those servers unless you have left your seats empty on hold for yourself and not released them for someone else to fill.

From dictionary:

Tip = something given voluntarily or beyond obligation, usually for some degree of service.

A tip is not a salary-subsidy. Stewpapa, I commend you for wanting to give people your own money so they have higher salary. BUT I do not feel you should use the word "rob" to describe people who don't want to tip for services they didn't receive. You may feel that YOU personally are "robbing" someone, but that comes from within. When you force someone (by using guilt, or words like "rob"), then they are no longer voluntarily giving.

Also, the original poster did not plan to remove ALL tips, just the portion the cruiseline allocates for Dining room head waiter/waiter.

I guess the reason people will never agree on tipping is because some view it as a reward for good service, while others view it as paying someone's salary unrelated to the degree of service they gave (or no service at all).

I would prefer to tip the people who truly provide me with great service. (And, if their service was completely dependent on behind-the-scenes people giving something to THEM so they could bring it to me, then I trust that the person I rewarded with a "tip" will pass on a level of reward to the person aiding THEM, so that their necessary support will continue...)

When you give "rewards" for excellence, people continue to outperform. But when you give "salary", all people do is SHOW UP.

my response would be ..do you also feel better about depriving the MDR staff, who, through zero fault of their own, of the opportunity to make the money they can reasonably be expected to make since they are counting on being allowed to serve you, in whatever capacity? MDR, Buffet or park cafe?

I agree with Debde, I have no problem removing the auto tip and tipping WHO I WANT TO TIP, when I want and how much. I will be doing the same speciality dining, CL lounge, and I will tip in those dining venues and CL lounge as appropriate. I have budgeted $500 for this, I'm not adding another 199.50 to it for auto tipping.

You holier than thou people can keep on auto tipping, if that makes you feel better. I do better in tipping than you probably ever will.

The OP also said, they are sailing in a suite and on Allure. They can easily never set foot in any buffet.

They said-will eat specialty 4 times, in suite the rest and being they are in a suite-I'll bet they have breakfast and or lunch in the CL.

A person doing the above scenario should absolutely remove tips if they feel inclined to tip those who serve them. That would be the prime example of double dipping./tipping if you left your auto tips in place because none of those people mentioned are covered in any other time.

I agree with you here. On last two Oasis trips we never set foot in MDR or Wnjmmer. Spent a fortune in tips/fees in specialty rest and eat everyday in CL. It's b/c we are cheap? Double tipping it really is. ...........some people just aren't getting the point

Tipping ? Yes you should tip. It's an industry expectation and standard.

This is a classic and BORING subject.

However.........Things have changed It's 2013 and cruise ships do not expect you to take all meals in any one DR and RCI wants you to dine in their Specialty Venues..........

On Oasis class I eat every brkfst and lnch in cl and tip every day there too At every meal I pay the extra the specialty price for up to six of my diners. RCi has made it easy for me to envoy these other venues and not step one little toe in the MDR or WNJJMR......I should have to now pay for meals I never took and served by people I never knew? HUh? I used to but now I am thinking I should not be.

Tipping ? Yes you should tip. It's an industry expectation and standard.

This is a classic and BORING subject.

However.........Things have changed It's 2013 and cruise ships do not expect you to take all meals in any one DR and RCI wants you to dine in their Specialty Venues..........

On Oasis class I eat every brkfst and lnch in cl and tip every day there too At every meal I pay the extra the specialty price for up to six of my diners. RCi has made it easy for me to envoy these other venues and not step one little toe in the MDR or WNJJMR......I should have to now pay for meals I never took and served by people I never knew? HUh? I used to but now I am thinking I should not be.

Do whatever works for you, it's your money.

So, in reality, the arbitrary "tipping" has turned into a mandatory "service" charge even though they still want to call it, PC speaking, "gratuities".

How can something with the option to be removed be mandatory? :confused:

I wish they WOULD go to mandatory service charge! No option to remove any of them. In the event you get "bad service" you simply talk to guest services or put it on the comment card and let RCI deal with it. They seem to take those pretty seriously.

I mean come on, this is such a minimal amount when compared to the overall cost of a cruise.

From dictionary:

Tip = something given voluntarily or beyond obligation, usually for some degree of service.

A tip is not a salary-subsidy. Stewpapa, I commend you for wanting to give people your own money so they have higher salary. BUT I do not feel you should use the word "rob" to describe people who don't want to tip for services they didn't receive. You may feel that YOU personally are "robbing" someone, but that comes from within. When you force someone (by using guilt, or words like "rob"), then they are no longer voluntarily giving.

Also, the original poster did not plan to remove ALL tips, just the portion the cruiseline allocates for Dining room head waiter/waiter.

I guess the reason people will never agree on tipping is because some view it as a reward for good service, while others view it as paying someone's salary unrelated to the degree of service they gave (or no service at all).

I would prefer to tip the people who truly provide me with great service. (And, if their service was completely dependent on behind-the-scenes people giving something to THEM so they could bring it to me, then I trust that the person I rewarded with a "tip" will pass on a level of reward to the person aiding THEM, so that their necessary support will continue...)

When you give "rewards" for excellence, people continue to outperform. But when you give "salary", all people do is SHOW UP.

I agree with the content of both of your posts and like your style. Where are you from?

If RCCL would join a few other lines and call it what it is - a daily service charge (similar to a resort charge), it would help. I think HAL does call it this, and I know NCL does. There's the DSC, then there's the tip or gratuity - which truly is optional.

It's such a nominal amount compared to what you're paying for the entire cruise. Just pay it.

(Otherwise, the bird flew overhead and said, "cheep"!)

It is not a question of being cheap. It is the principle. If someone is paying the surcharge for specialty dining, which can be substantial, why should you make them feel like jerks for trying to keep it balanced. They asked if it was proper to adjust the amount, not remove.

It also should be noted that the term TIP is meant to imply extra given for above average service and not intended as their salary. Most don't mind because they receive good service and it is appreciated, however, if I ate in specialty restaurants for the majority of the cruise, I feel justified in making a small deduction for dining room services not provided (I.E. the Matre' D)

If RCCL would join a few other lines and call it what it is - a daily service charge (similar to a resort charge), it would help. I think HAL does call it this, and I know NCL does. There's the DSC, then there's the tip or gratuity - which truly is optional.

It's all the same thing across the lines - tips, daily service charge, etc..

It would be better if they just increase the price of the cruise and pay the staff more. Take the tip out of the equation.

Too often the late traditional has been impacted by people who book it purely to avoid tips and never show up. Nothing like wanting to meet new people requesting a large table and end up being the only ones. This has happened twice to us in recent times.

Archived