Not eating in MDR at all, fair to remove part of gratuities?

Too often the late traditional has been impacted by people who book it purely to avoid tips and never show up.

Worse are the people who do traditional dining for the entire cruise and then don't appear on the last night. If they don't wish to tip their waitstaff, that's fine, but why not turn up & say thanks or otherwise ignore - guilty conscience??

Worse are the people who do traditional dining for the entire cruise and then don't appear on the last night. If they don't wish to tip their waitstaff, that's fine, but why not turn up & say thanks or otherwise ignore - guilty conscience??

That's always a big assumption around here but there is no way to prove that. I in no way believe that everyone or even the majority that doesn't show up the last night is stiffing the staff. As I remember the last nights menu is nothing to write home about. That's when I usually order the Chops filet.

The good thing is with the new policy they at least have to go to Guest Services and give a reason why they are removing the gratuities.

This is all making my head hurt...........................

I just pay what they ask, don't worry about any "principles", and spend my vacation enjoying myself. The very last thing I want to do is go down to Customer Service every day and take off $22.

I have muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better things to do with my time.

This is all making my head hurt...........................

I just pay what they ask, don't worry about any "principles", and spend my vacation enjoying myself. The very last thing I want to do is go down to Customer Service every day and take off $22.

I have muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better things to do with my time.

OH, super like!:) Really, I would stand in a line in order to take some tips away form someone??? I paid lots of money to enjoy my cruise and standing in line to remove tips is not, not what I want to do. Even if I had really bad service, it still would not be worth my time and that almost never happens.

OH, super like!:) Really, I would stand in a line in order to take some tips away form someone??? I paid lots of money to enjoy my cruise and standing in line to remove tips is not, not what I want to do. Even if I had really bad service, it still would not be worth my time and that almost never happens.

What he said...........................

1801211919_thumbup.jpg.ee1b38485cf4ac58ea72eacd36335a8d.jpg

Exactly! I feel sorry for the people who even take the time to worry about this! Takes all kinds I guess...:D

On my last RCCL cruise, we had prepaid gratuities from the TA. But once on board I could never see confirmation of them on my account. So at least twice, I stopped at the Purser to verify. I just felt uneasy not knowing if they were actually being applied. So when I gave extra to specific crew members, I hoped they were also getting the normal amount.

Pre-paids should show up somewhere on the TV account listing.

On my last RCCL cruise, we had prepaid gratuities from the TA. But once on board I could never see confirmation of them on my account. So at least twice, I stopped at the Purser to verify. I just felt uneasy not knowing if they were actually being applied. So when I gave extra to specific crew members, I hoped they were also getting the normal amount.

Pre-paids should show up somewhere on the TV account listing.

Before the change to automatic gratuities, we used to get a letter thanking us for pre-paying gratuties. I guess they figure now that the gratuties are automatic, the fact that you don't see a $12 pp daily charge on the TV account is enough of a confirmation.

Various times, TA promised items such as OBC and wine have not shown up. For the OBC, I've had to fight with the TA afterwards. So they lose my business. Promises made and not kept for whatever reason are enough to go to someone else next time.

Various times, TA promised items such as OBC and wine have not shown up. For the OBC, I've had to fight with the TA afterwards. So they lose my business. Promises made and not kept for whatever reason are enough to go to someone else next time.

Were you sure that it was the TA's fault? My TA is always complaining that he submits the OBC and Royal somehow loses it. Last year, my DD got the note in her room that our TA had put OBC on her account, but it never showed up on her account. So, dad marched her down to GS and showed them the note. This time they fixed it without protest. It has been more interesting in the past.:eek:

Were you sure that it was the TA's fault? My TA is always complaining that he submits the OBC and Royal somehow loses it. Last year, my DD got the note in her room that our TA had put OBC on her account, but it never showed up on her account. So, dad marched her down to GS and showed them the note. This time they fixed it without protest. It has been more interesting in the past.:eek:

Another reason why it's a good idea to take written proof of obc. I always keep a copy of my ressie on my electronic device of choice (now an iPad since my Nook went semi-comatose last week).

Another reason why it's a good idea to take written proof of obc. I always keep a copy of my ressie on my electronic device of choice (now an iPad since my Nook went semi-comatose last week).

Oh, now you opened up the can of worms. Yes, I had 4 separate receipts for my OBC. It had come from my credit card and I made sure to print an bring all 4 receipts. GS had to send the receipts to Miami who said "no". The story twists and turns and I will not bore you with 5 days worth of them but that's how long it took. 5 days of visits to GS and my TA getting involved and a vice president of Royal. So for those who say "just bring your receipt" I say anything can and will happen with Royal.

If RCCL would join a few other lines and call it what it is - a daily service charge (similar to a resort charge), it would help. I think HAL does call it this, and I know NCL does. There's the DSC, then there's the tip or gratuity - which truly is optional.

Why do they have to call it anything? Just increase the cost of the cruise by the cost of the recommended tips and be done with it. It doesn't need to be broken down like port charges and taxes. Just incorporate it.

Like! Then there would be complaints of the cruise being too expensive...

Why do they have to call it anything? Just increase the cost of the cruise by the cost of the recommended tips and be done with it. It doesn't need to be broken down like port charges and taxes. Just incorporate it.

HAL did that years ago. "NO TIPPING REQUIRED" was their advertising. Now they have a mandatory daily service charge.

Doesn't work. So when we were last on HAL, we paid the mandatory service charge and then that was it, no additional tipping was warranted by the nominal service provided.

HAL did that years ago. "NO TIPPING REQUIRED" was their advertising. Now they have a mandatory daily service charge.

Doesn't work. So when we were last on HAL, we paid the mandatory service charge and then that was it, no additional tipping was warranted by the nominal service provided.

Not to mention, TAs would get commissions on the upped price so the price would be even more to hit bottom lines.

And BTW, service charges and gratuities are NOT the same - even if you choose to look at them as the same. If I choose to look at a stop sign as being purple instead of red, that didn't actually change it to red.

If RCCL would join a few other lines and call it what it is - a daily service charge (similar to a resort charge), it would help. I think HAL does call it this, and I know NCL does. There's the DSC, then there's the tip or gratuity - which truly is optional.

When we get our invoices from RCCL in the UK it is called a service charge.

I don't agree with you. That definition is NOT how we tip anywhere I've lived. We tip whether the service we receive is excellent or not because the server only makes $2 an hour if we don't.

Also, the tips you are removing are not for the MDR but for everyone on the ship who serves you... Picks up your trash.... Cleans your toilet....washes your DOD glasses, etc. Petty to remove them IMO, shouldn't rob workers of their weeks pay just because of your choices. jmho

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Blimey. I've tried (honestly) to not get involved in commenting my views on tipping in the later pages of this thread, but this post saying you whether OR NOT service is good you will still tip just because servers only earn $2 seems really strange.

I respect that this is your opinion and you do this but I don't feel tips are warranted for poor service just to make up someone's wage.

Blimey. I've tried (honestly) to not get involved in commenting my views on tipping in the later pages of this thread, but this post saying you whether OR NOT service is good you will still tip just because servers only earn $2 seems really strange.

I respect that this is your opinion and you do this but I don't feel tips are warranted for poor service just to make up someone's wage.

You are right. Tips aren't warranted for poor service. But truly poor service is extremely rare on a ship. Anyone that bad isn't going to be around long.

Why didn't it work? Using RCI's numbers for a 7 night cruise, do you really think that increasing the cruise fare by $84/$99.75 per person depending on your cabin level would scare people away? If that nominal amount would cause people not to cruise, that's just pretty sad.

Why didn't it work? Using RCI's numbers for a 7 night cruise, do you really think that increasing the cruise fare by $84/$99.75 per person depending on your cabin level would scare people away? If that nominal amount would cause people not to cruise, that's just pretty sad.

People would then still feel the need to tip. That's what happened on HAL years ago. It felt uneasy not to tip, at least for us. If HAL fares included the "tips" back then, I didn't see them lower fare prices when the applied the mandatory on-board service charges.

So, then we would pay the hidden included service charge and people (some at least) would start tipping all over again on top of that. And there here we go round and round again.

Not to mention, TAs would get commissions on the upped price so the price would be even more to hit bottom lines.

And BTW, service charges and gratuities are NOT the same - even if you choose to look at them as the same. If I choose to look at a stop sign as being purple instead of red, that didn't actually change it to red.

no, but it would still be a stop sign. so it would be the same thing.

Archived