Juneau via rental car - What to see?

HappyCruiser383

For our day in Juneau, we'll rent a car at Avis. Can anybody suggest things to do, people to see or photo ops spots?

Low budget

Would love bear photo ops (two of us have nice camera with zoom lens)

Traveling with active and healthy 72 year old aunt (no major hiking -trails ok)

Thanks a bunch!

Arleen

Mendenhall Glacier is a Juneau must. The drive north to the Shrine of St. Therese is good and a short distance past that is Eagle Beach. The hatchery is dumping fish near the Shrine so the whales seem to have it down and have been looking for food close to shore. It’s very deep near shore there so you may be able to see whales in that area as well as Eagle Beach although at quite a distance. We saw one about 30 yards from shore at the Shrine two weeks ago There’s road construction past Eagle Beach and we spoke to a flagger who says she’s been seeing whales every day from that area. There has been a black bear sow with 3 cubs that has been hanging around near the Auke Bay ferry terminal that you may want to look for if you’re going in the near future.

Head to your library and take out Alaska travel books. There are many places to drive to.

IF you want to see bears, then you need to plan on spending considerable time "camped" out at Mendenhall. Bears are around Lemon Creek and the dump, but limited to no parking for clear views. Plan on several hours, and ask the rangers if bears are being seen. This is an iffy chance at best.

I find Eagle Beach, nothing special. I would just keep driving and pulling over to the end of the road.

Chapel on the Lake is worth a stop, also spending some time at the marinas (there are several entrances) loaded with eagles, and at low tide, "stuff" in the water. Douglas Island can be of interest, also the Hatchery can be a quick stop and a "must look" if salmon is running.

Do your homework and find out what else may be of interest for you.

Thanks for the tips!

North of town, I see a Southeast Waffle Co. Is that good? Any other food hot spots that we should put on the itinerary?

How much time should we budget for the Mendenhall glaciers? Is parking going to be an issue?

Arleen

How much time should we budget for the Mendenhall glaciers? Is parking going to be an issue?

Arleen

As much time are YOU want. I think it's a mistake to be on any time schedule. Rather, I would suggest you do your homework, rank your interests and then route those so you see them. If time runs out due to extended visits, then your "miss" are less priority. Keep track of this during your drive, since you don't want to be going miles and miles backtracking. IF you spent half a day at stops a,b,c., and have 4 more of interest, you might want to skip stop d since its not as important.

Thanks Budget Queen. I appreciate your input. Unfortunately, I am a hopeless planner :rolleyes: and my spreadsheet has a blank hole :eek: LOL

Of course, we could probably spend all day here but if I were to plan a few hours, would that be enough time to traverse a couple trails and take some pictures?

What are the other highlights in Juneau that the tour buses don't generally get to? Salmon creeks with bears? Magnificent ocean view spots? :confused:

Thanks Budget Queen. I appreciate your input. Unfortunately, I am a hopeless planner :rolleyes: and my spreadsheet has a blank hole :eek: LOL

Of course, we could probably spend all day here but if I were to plan a few hours, would that be enough time to traverse a couple trails and take some pictures?

What are the other highlights in Juneau that the tour buses don't generally get to? Salmon creeks with bears? Magnificent ocean view spots? :confused:

At Mendenhall, a "couple trails" would only include, Photo Point, Nugget Fall, Trail of Time in your timeframe. Look at the trail descriptions, again, finding out what you may wish to do?

Bears are a big "chance" and require even more time, waiting potential out. Mendenhall is a decent area for that possibility, IF you are there in August/Sept. and ideally needing half a day. Based on my "viewing", I am never one, to "wait" for a single look and book out of there, I'll wait out multiple sightings, especially if they are in the "area". Depends on you and your "schedule".

For our day in Juneau, we'll rent a car at Avis. Can anybody suggest things to do, people to see or photo ops spots?

Low budget

Would love bear photo ops (two of us have nice camera with zoom lens)

Traveling with active and healthy 72 year old aunt (no major hiking -trails ok)

Thanks a bunch!

Arleen

Mendelhall glacier and nugget creek falls hike..a very easy hike...

Glacier gardens

Drive to Auke bay, visit the shrine,

drive over to douglas island.

Eagles beach.

Mendelhall glacier and nugget creek falls hike..a very easy hike...

Glacier gardens

Drive to Auke bay, visit the shrine,

drive over to douglas island.

Eagles beach.

Drive to Douglas island? That sounds like a nice little side trip. What's over there?

Depending on how many people will be with you, it may be cheaper to take the shuttle to Mendenhall and not worry about driving. The shuttle was $16 per person last I checked and you could easily spend a morning doing a walk, trying to spot bears, the visitor's center, etc... The shuttle will drop you off downtown if you prefer (which is also a short walk from ship) and you can explore downtown Juneau in the afternoon. The Alaska State Museum is insightful.

Drive to Douglas island? That sounds like a nice little side trip. What's over there?

Hiking trails, one of the helicopter vendors. A nice look at your cruise ship. The whole area can be driven in 30 minutes, with stops.

Thanks. The schedule is now in pencil. Lol

What other sites are around Juneau?

Arleen

Amalga Harbor, a few miles north of the Shrine of Saint Therese, is one of our favorite stops.

Thank you all for the great suggestions.

If the ship were to dock at the furthest dock, how far of a walk is it to the Avis at the Goldbelt hotel?

Arleen

According to Google Maps (a valuable tool in vacation planning!) it's about 1.5 miles.

Not sure why I didn't think of that! My brain must be on the ship already, drinking labadoozies on the way to the buffet. *sigh. :o Thank you!

Arleen

LOL! If you think your brain is on the ship already, note that I leave THIS SATURDAY. Where do you think my brain is right now?! :D

LOL! If you think your brain is on the ship already, note that I leave THIS SATURDAY. Where do you think my brain is right now?! :D

:eek: your brain must be completely gone. I'm so happy for you! :D

Take some pictures of the buffet for me. Lol that's a fav spot of mine. :rolleyes:

Arleen

Archived