Only Overnite Flights to Tahiti?

LewiLewi

As quoted by Gigianne: "A visit to Pitcairn and Easter Islands were the one of the reasons we booked this cruise. I never had any expectations of actually setting foot on Pitcairn Island. Reading the blogs from last years Holland America World cruise on the Amsterdam - the islanders contacted Noro Virus and so it became problematic for the them to board the Amsterdam to visit the passengers and to sell their goods. HA never advertises Pitcairn as a stop - rather a "cruising" with narrative, I am not sure how other lines advertise the island."

Wait a minute........so most ships don't LAND pax on Pitcairn but rather bring the islanders on board to sell their wares and to narrate the circumnavigation of the island? That's certainly not what Oceania's itinerary indicates.

I was ok with not being able to land if weather conditions weren't favorable. Safety First of course. But if O does not INTEND to tender in pax, that's not ok.

HollDoll, I was told it was the French authorities in Papeete who control when planes can land and take off which creates problems for all the cruise lines. Some just have better ways of handling it than others.

The authorities in French Polynesia seem relatively bureaucratic. They insisted on a face / passport inspection soon after we entered their waters. We had to line up with our passports within a certain time slot (depending on your floor). It didn't take long but it seemed unusual to us. Other people said it was their normal practice.

Vaitape - as I wrote in my post - I do not know what other cruise lines do - I just know what I read on blogs written by passengers on the Amsterdam.

Gigianne, I understood what you wrote.

I'm still looking to find blogs/postings affirming O tendered their pax into Pitcarin and haven't found any yet.

If O isn't/wasn't intending on tendering their pax but rather "cruising" Pitcarin, well, that's not what is shown on the itinerary and changes things.

We are becoming more and more disillusioned with this cruise. I enjoy cruising on O, they have a wonderful product, but we don't seem to be getting what we signed up for. No one should have to start a vacation stressed out because of obstacles placed in our way. I am hoping that O steps up to the plate and once again provides a cruising experience that we were looking forward to.

In truth we choose what is a problem and what is not. Trying to make a trip dependent of lots of details is a sure way to frustrate.

My suggestion is to relax and let go and go with the flow and be happy for what ever happens.

For me My attitude is I am happy to be on the ship ..the rest is gravy.;)

Expecting less means you receive more in the longrun..at least to me

As for flying to very remote places with sparce air service, remember that is part of the grand adventure of travel. If it was easy it would be overrun like the MED and Carribe

Too. anyway you slice it it beats the drive.

We were aboard the Marina this past April, 2013 from Papeete to Lima and then on to New York.

Pitcairn Island was on the itinerary, but after leaving French Polynesia a passenger injured herself and was in need of medical attention at a hospital. I believe she fell and broke a hip. We were informed that we were now headed directly to Easter Island and would by-pass Pitcairn. It is confirmed that when the Marina was here in January 2013 headed for Australia, Oceania was anchored at Pitcairn Island and the locals came aboard to show their wares. Infrastructure is not available for a ship of this size.

I was not aware when booking this cruise that all ports between Papeete and Lima are anchor ports, requiring to be shuttled in life boats. That was quite a challenge for people with disabilities or other handicaps. It was not until about a month before on the Oceania itinerary web page, that it was indicated all of these islands would be anchor ports. Something to be to think about before final payment.

Just a FYI.

On our April 7 2013 Tahitian Pearls cruise we were suppose to stop at Hiva Oa after Nuka Hiva. After final payment we received a notice stating that the ship will no longer be anchoring there due to a "lack of infra structure". We could only interpret this as the ship couldn't get a hold of enough tour operators for their excursions. They cancelled this stop on the cruise before ours as well. Oceania had to know before hand the nature of this island and what was available. The government was not about to build a suitable infrastructure to accommodate Oceania.

Back on ship Oceania was having their on board bookings for future sailings. Lo and behold they had the 2014 sailings that included Hiva Oa. I emailed the head office to confirm if the island was again in the itinerary or was this just because the literature was pre-printed. I was told yes it was a scheduled stop. I don't know what was going on but the island hasn't changed from one year to the next. You never really get a straight answer from Oceania.

We were in Hiva Oa last month on the PG. A 4 wheel drive vehicle is necessary to leave the port area as the roads are quite iffy. We had booked a jeep and driver to take us to the other side of the island to see the giant tiki statues, but as it was raining, the road was washed out and the driver took us to see the Paul Gauguin museum and cemetery with the graves of Gauguin and Jacque Brel. There was also an archeological site, which we slid around for awhile. Had we booked the ship's tour, there was only room for about 20 people, as there are not that many vehicles. There was also "le truck" which held around 25 people and made a loop to the cemetery and museum. There was a nice craft market at the pier, which could hold about 50 people at a time. There is no way to satisfactorily accommodate 1200 people. Niku Hiva is a bit better, as there are more jeeps and you can probably avoid off road driving, but that would be a tough one, as well. Part of the beauty is the fact that these islands are not built up (we went to two other islands as well in the Marquesas that have fewer than 100 inhabitants), but it is a tough dilemma for the cruise company when it offers a port, but can't get enough tours to accommodate the people.

We were in Hiva Oa last month on the PG. A 4 wheel drive vehicle is necessary to leave the port area as the roads are quite iffy. We had booked a jeep and driver to take us to the other side of the island to see the giant tiki statues, but as it was raining, the road was washed out and the driver took us to see the Paul Gauguin museum and cemetery with the graves of Gauguin and Jacque Brel. There was also an archeological site, which we slid around for awhile. Had we booked the ship's tour, there was only room for about 20 people, as there are not that many vehicles. There was also "le truck" which held around 25 people and made a loop to the cemetery and museum. There was a nice craft market at the pier, which could hold about 50 people at a time. There is no way to satisfactorily accommodate 1200 people. Niku Hiva is a bit better, as there are more jeeps and you can probably avoid off road driving, but that would be a tough one, as well. Part of the beauty is the fact that these islands are not built up (we went to two other islands as well in the Marquesas that have fewer than 100 inhabitants), but it is a tough dilemma for the cruise company when it offers a port, but can't get enough tours to accommodate the people.

I 100% agree with you. Oceania knew that going into the cruise agenda. They also kept the island listed for future cruises and the island really can't handle a cruise ship of nearly 1300.

This is the description of activities for Adamstown, Pitcairn from the cruise itinerary on O's website:

Adamstown

Stand atop Garnet's Ridge and enjoy the panoramic views from one of the highest points on the island. Ancient Polynesian petroglyphs can be found at Down Rope cliff, and an isolated sandy beach lies at its base. Remains of the Bounty, the ship on which the world's most infamous mutiny was staged, can be located throughout the island, or you can grab a snorkel and tour the wreckage on your own.

Dining:

Deep-fried bluefish, red snapper, tuna and wahoo are local favorites. Pilhi, a baked custard-like dish made from puréed fruit, milk and sugar, is a staple of the island.

Shopping:

Shop locally produced handicrafts like woven baskets, models of the Bounty and carvings of local wildlife. Philatelists will enjoy the local postage stamps.

To me, this sounds like passengers LAND on the island. The itinerary has the anchor icon next to "Adamstown, Pitcairn" indicating it is an anchor port. If pax are INTENDED to remain on board the ship, then something like "cruising Pitcairn" or "circumnavigating Pitcairn" should be posted.

There are only 50 people who live on the island so of course the infrastructure is limited. However, if there is no INTENTION for pax to go ashore, then O should clearly state this so pax know what to expect BEFORE final payment....better yet, it should be clearly stated when the itinerary is initially released.

This is the description of activities for Adamstown, Pitcairn from the cruise itinerary on O's website:

Adamstown

Stand atop Garnet's Ridge and enjoy the panoramic views from one of the highest points on the island. Ancient Polynesian petroglyphs can be found at Down Rope cliff, and an isolated sandy beach lies at its base. Remains of the Bounty, the ship on which the world's most infamous mutiny was staged, can be located throughout the island, or you can grab a snorkel and tour the wreckage on your own.

Dining:

Deep-fried bluefish, red snapper, tuna and wahoo are local favorites. Pilhi, a baked custard-like dish made from puréed fruit, milk and sugar, is a staple of the island.

Shopping:

Shop locally produced handicrafts like woven baskets, models of the Bounty and carvings of local wildlife. Philatelists will enjoy the local postage stamps.

To me, this sounds like passengers LAND on the island. The itinerary has the anchor icon next to "Adamstown, Pitcairn" indicating it is an anchor port. If pax are INTENDED to remain on board the ship, then something like "cruising Pitcairn" or "circumnavigating Pitcairn" should be posted.

There are only 50 people who live on the island so of course the infrastructure is limited. However, if there is no INTENTION for pax to go ashore, then O should clearly state this so pax know what to expect BEFORE final payment....better yet, it should be clearly stated when the itinerary is initially released.

Well said.

I wouldn't count on setting foot on Pitcairn soil (unless you believe in miracles) :)

Adamstown

Dining:

Shopping:

I also agree that this is well said. I know the fine print in any cruise contract gives the line the right to make substitutions but I suspect that some changes were known by O well in advance of all of us putting down our deposits. This is the most expensive cruise we have taken to date and, so far, I am not too impressed. We'll see what else occurs before final payment.

Packard

As quoted by Gigianne: "A visit to Pitcairn and Easter Islands were the one of the reasons we booked this cruise. I never had any expectations of actually setting foot on Pitcairn Island. Reading the blogs from last years Holland America World cruise on the Amsterdam - the islanders contacted Noro Virus and so it became problematic for the them to board the Amsterdam to visit the passengers and to sell their goods. HA never advertises Pitcairn as a stop - rather a "cruising" with narrative, I am not sure how other lines advertise the island."

Wait a minute........so most ships don't LAND pax on Pitcairn but rather bring the islanders on board to sell their wares and to narrate the circumnavigation of the island? That's certainly not what Oceania's itinerary indicates.

I was ok with not being able to land if weather conditions weren't favorable. Safety First of course. But if O does not INTEND to tender in pax, that's not ok.

I was on this years HAL World Cruise and there was NEVER a plan to land passengers on the island. The islanders did NOT have Noro Virus, they simply had the flu. There are only 47 people living on the island so not any infrastructure and no dock for the tenders. After seeing the island from a short distance, have no idea what you could do if you were able to land. They only have 4 wheel ATV's and motorcycles on the island. The roads appear to be gravel and not very well kept as you would expect.

As I understand things, the normal way the island is handled is to have the islanders come out to the ship and sell their wares on the ship. The ships are important to the islanders as they send orders to every ship coming in for food, beer, etc. that they take ashore. A longboat did come to the ship to collect what they had ordered from HAL and one of the premium things was ice cream which is eaten almost immediately and beer.

The only regular service to the island is from New Zealand about every three months (they are administered by New Zealand so would expect any infrastructure money to come from them and not Europe.

Can comfortably say you will not land as don't think any ships have taken passengers ashore let alone a 1200 passenger ship to be taken care of by 47 people.

Hope this answers your questions from a first hand experience. Will answer any further questions, if I can.

Ok, your on a great ship. great crew, great food, great ambiance... whats to miss about not seeing a 15 sq mile island with no possibility of seeing anything but the beach.......

Cruising by is to me more than enough.

If you have not been to the south pacific you can not understand that these places are, or have so little resource that to host more that 100 people is impossible. To expect otherwise is folly.

Part of the allure for this region is its remote nature. Respect that and understand this is not the Carribe. Even getting to the Tahiti region is hard enough. And to Pitcairn even rarer.

Be happy that you can even see it from a ship because for centuries explorers all missed it....

Hey Hawaiian Dan.

Aloha, Ia Orana, Kaoha, and Mabuhay.

You are spot on regarding being on a nice ship with heaps of ambiance and comfort.

The problem is this: O should not advertise that their ship stops and tenders pax to Pitcairn. There will be pax who are pretty darn disappointed when they learn that Pitcairn was never a designated port.

Hey Hawaiian Dan.

You are spot on regarding being on a nice ship with heaps of ambiance and comfort.

The problem is this: O should not advertise that their ship stops and tenders pax to Pitcairn. There will be pax who are pretty darn disappointed when they learn that Pitcairn was never a designated port.

Have to agree with you.

Advertise it as a cruise-by with a visit from the locals with an opportunity to meet them, talk to them and buy souvenirs.

Truth in advertising :)

Have to agree with you.

Advertise it as a cruise-by with a visit from the locals with an opportunity to meet them, talk to them and buy souvenirs.

The thought of being at anchor for 10 hours is not an appealing proposition especially if the sea is above a force 5, this cannot be what they are going to do.

If it were possible maybe we could draw lots for a few parties to go ashore.

Have to agree with you.

Totally agree. Just say what it is.

Hey Hawaiian Dan.

Totally agree - we take cruises for their itineraries and try to include places which are difficult to get to by any other means.

I find Dan's comments about O strange as I am sure I read he hasn't yet taken his first O cruise.:rolleyes:

Pitcairn is a reminder of what happens when those on a ship turn against one another. I certainly hope we don't start to squabble among ourselves as to whether we actually set foot on it!

Confused by your statement. Who is squabbling? We're talking about Truth in Advertising, Know Before You Go, etc etc.

O should send a quick note to all pax BEFORE final payment about O's Plan of the Day for Pitcairn.

If tendering is not in the Plan, so be it but we should know that BEFORE we make final payment. Landing is not a deal breaker for us but we thought we were paying for a day at Pitcairn, not for looking at it.

Safety First. "Weather permitting, Marina will (insert the Plan here). Easy peasy.....and now your pax are informed!

Vaitape,

Sorry you were confused by my comment but I was reacting to the post just prior to mine by Louby-Lou that, in my view, took an unwarranted and inaccurate "shot" at Dan since there wasn't anything "strange" in his comments and everyone who reads his posts should know that he is a repeat Oceania cruiser.

Archived