Teen Drinking and Carnival - Not For everyone

Blk_Amish

Back in 2010, I went on a cruise with my family. My Aunt and Cousin came as well. I was 14 and my cousin was 15. When we went to port in Costa maya, my mom and aunt ordered margaritas for them and two virgins for us. My cousin said hers tasted weird and my aunt said there was alcohol in it. Then, we learned that the legal age was 15.

As Manu cruises that I have been on, I have never seen any teens drinking. Maybe a sexual relationship/"ideas" but no drinking. NCL staff make sure that try are of drinking age.

Check out my blog!!!

cruiseandtravelblog.blogspot.com! :)

Now if the parents could control their young teens (12-13) from running through the corridors that would be great. I was literally knocked into the wall by 2 early teens running around a corner and into me. They laughed and kept running. I yelled at them. Probably the first attempt at discipline they've had.

What's not right about it? Perhaps it's not in line with Carnival policy, that part would be correct, but someone 18 having a drink with their parents is done all over the world with very few exceptions.

It's not a big deal.

Edited to add: In these states it would be perfectly legal as well: Connecticut, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Are you saying it is legal in the states you listed for 18-year-olds to drink with their parents in public, like at a restaurant or bar? That is news to me! Somehow I can't imagine that the Ohio law you quoted on a subsequent post applies to restaurants and bars, but what do I know? I'm no lawyer. (But I grew up in Connecticut, where the drinking age was 21, and I remember the days when under-21 Connecticut college students would cross the state line into New York, with its 18-year-old drinking age, to drink! But that was 40 years ago.)

The point of all the discussion on this thread is not really about individual state laws -- it is about cruise line policies, and the enforcement (or lack thereof) of those policies. I think all parents should understand that no matter what the cruise line policy is, it might not be enforced properly, and parents should be diligent in their supervision! Cruise lines in international waters are breaking no "drinking age" laws, as far as I know (again, I am not a lawyer), but they may well be "breaking" their own stated policies.

Blk_Amish,

Wow, this is a long thread. Smh, so many rude and unkind comments by posters. I for one want to thank you for bringing this subject up. Its a shame so many want to bash you for trying to be helpful to others who may not have thought of the possibilities of how teens get a hold of alcohol. I am planning a cruise next summer and bringing my 20 and 14 year old boys. I will surely be talking to them about this and checking luggage.

I also happen to agree with the idea of a curfew for minors on cruises. Unfortunately, there are many irresponsible parents who don't police their children while cruising, therefore there is a need for some enforced order. My last cruise I witnessed many young kids 10 and up running around making lots of noise unsupervised at 1 am! Some of the havoc they created was going into the elevators and hitting all the buttons then jumping off. Some were even throwing water at each other while standing in the elevators. It caused damage to 2 elevators and they were shut down for hours to repair.

Are you saying it is legal in the states you listed for 18-year-olds to drink with their parents in public, like at a restaurant or bar? That is news to me! Do you mind posting a reference for your info? (I remember the days when under-21 Connecticut college students would cross the state line into New York, with its 18-year-old drinking age, to drink! But that was 40 years ago.)

I googled it just because I was curious. Interesting and apparently true. I had no idea.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/YouthIssues/Most-States-in-US-Permit-Drinking-Under-the-Age-of-21.html

blk_amish....just an observation from your posts (which admittedly can be misinterpreted on the printed page), but you sound very defensive and angry (which is probably going to get this thread shut down).

Long and short of this, I'm responsible for my family. No one else is. Nor, do I want anyone else to meddle in my family's affairs.

The village thing? Not sure where that came from, other than some political "buzz words" from a couple of decades ago. So, maybe that's what you're referring to.

Raise your children the way you see fit. Be responsible for their good and poor behavior. How someone else brought aldohol on a cruise ship really doesn't matter to me and mine. It doesn't affect the behavior of my offspring, nor do I want it to.

Again, I wish you luck.

Is there a Mod who can lock this thread? Regardless of why it was started, it's devolved into a long series of personal attacks. I'm unsubscribing to this thread, it no longer has any cruising relevance. :mad:

blk_amish....just an observation from your posts (which admittedly can be misinterpreted on the printed page), but you sound very defensive and angry (which is probably going to get this thread shut down).

Long and short of this, I'm responsible for my family. No one else is. Nor, do I want anyone else to meddle in my family's affairs.

The village thing? Not sure where that came from, other than some political "buzz words" from a couple of decades ago. So, maybe that's what you're referring to.

Raise your children the way you see fit. Be responsible for their good and poor behavior. How someone else brought aldohol on a cruise ship really doesn't matter to me and mine. It doesn't affect the behavior of my offspring, nor do I want it to.

Again, I wish you luck.

Who woud think one would get defensive after been called a lair off the bat:D

More importantly, the village thing, is common and yes practiced in many African cultures but only recognized when Hillary said it.

Betting back to why this was started!

I stated to check kids luggage because they are taking their own stash as reported by my son.

I stated to keep an eye out for kids. Not asking anyone to send anyone kids to college. not saying it wouldn't be nice:D By golly this could all come down to cultural differences.

Many other cultures with extended family setting. like mine, not just responsible Mother and Father to care for children. We were taught to watch out for others.

I stated that I would like a curfew for younger children. It's not safe to have them roaming around at 2 am.

I stated this thread was for a parent like myself, which clearly many on here aren't.

Long story short this thread was intended to help someone like myself! I am sure there is at least one parent checking every bottle and tube in their teen's luggage. I know I will.

Long and short of this, i'm responsible for my family. No one else is. Nor, do i want anyone else to meddle in my family's affairs.

Raise your children the way you see fit. Be responsible for their good and poor behavior. how someone else brought aldohol on a cruise ship really doesn't matter to me and mine. it doesn't affect the behavior of my offspring, nor do i want it to.

Again, i wish you luck.

smh ok! This thread was meant for parents whom this mattered to, which is why it got started. A young man die from alcohol poisoning from alcohol that was possible taken from home or bought in port. If your son had met that teen just for a second, he might be affected by his death. To the best of my knowledge my son was not drinking but i know he was hanging around kids who were. If something happened to one of them, I know he would be affected.

I know it isn't safe, but if someone says their kid can be out that late, that is the parents choice. Stupid of the parents sure, but I don't think carnival should start parenting for them. My 12 year old is more responsible than my 17 year old.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yeah, I know what you mean -- my 14 year-old is in many ways way more responsible than my 19 and 23 year olds! But I think it is because he IS young, and still scared enough of consequences to venture into the unknown of pushing the limits. But that willingness to take risks will come, I am pretty sure. It has come at one time or another, to one extent or another, with all my boys. Hopefully, they'll all live through it!

(and hopefully, your twelve-year-old will continue to be very responsible, and your 17 year-old will become more so!)

However, posters who suggest that harm could come to young ones on board ship due to the irresponsible behavior of others, not of the children themselves, do have a point, especially regarding the young, responsible, but naive younger ones! They may be responsible in what they are aware of, but may not be aware enough of how the world works to avoid trouble. The older ones often understand the dangers better, and some are willing to risk them.

Yeah, I know what you mean -- my 14 year-old is in many ways way more responsible than my 19 and 23 year olds! But I think it is because he IS young, and still scared enough of consequences to venture into the unknown of pushing the limits. But that willingness to take risks will come, I am pretty sure. It has come at one time or another, to one extent or another, with all my boys. Hopefully, they'll all live through it!

(and hopefully, your twelve-year-old will continue to be very responsible, and your 17 year-old will become more so!)

However, posters who suggest that harm could come to young ones on board ship due to the irresponsible behavior of others, not of the children themselves, do have a point, especially regarding the young, responsible, but naive younger ones! They may be responsible in what they are aware of, but may not be aware enough of how the world works to avoid trouble. The older ones often understand the dangers better, and some are willing to risk them.

You are very much right!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's legal for a parent to buy a drink for their minor child in CT. The bar may not do it, but it's legal.

As far as Carnivals policies - there's nothing I'm aware of that prevents (a policy) an 18-year old to get off the ship in Cozumel, drink like a fish, and then get back on the ship. So this is applicable as you can have a drunk 18-year on the ship without violating Carnival's policy.

Are you saying it is legal in the states you listed for 18-year-olds to drink with their parents in public, like at a restaurant or bar? That is news to me! Somehow I can't imagine that the Ohio law you quoted on a subsequent post applies to restaurants and bars, but what do I know? I'm no lawyer. (But I grew up in Connecticut, where the drinking age was 21, and I remember the days when under-21 Connecticut college students would cross the state line into New York, with its 18-year-old drinking age, to drink! But that was 40 years ago.)

The point of all the discussion on this thread is not really about individual state laws -- it is about cruise line policies, and the enforcement (or lack thereof) of those policies. I think all parents should understand that no matter what the cruise line policy is, it might not be enforced properly, and parents should be diligent in their supervision! Cruise lines in international waters are breaking no "drinking age" laws, as far as I know (again, I am not a lawyer), but they may well be "breaking" their own stated policies.

Who woud think one would get defensive after been called a lair off the bat:D

More importantly, the village thing, is common and yes practiced in many African cultures but only recognized when Hillary said it.

I stated to check kids luggage because they are taking their own stash as reported by my son.

I stated to keep an eye out for kids. Not asking anyone to send anyone kids to college. not saying it wouldn't be nice:D By golly this could all come down to cultural differences.

We in the village just whoop kids butts who are not making their mama proud. Not advocating corporal punishment:D

I stated that I would like a curfew for younger children. It's not safe to have them roaming around at 2 am.

I stated this thread was for a parent like myself, which clearly many on here aren't.

Long story short this thread was intended to help someone like myself!

I'm not African and also have lived with "villages" and believe your point.

The Village Concept was much more common 30-50 years ago. When I did something wrong in front of a neighbor, she not only scolded me, she made sure my folks knew and I got it again when I got home. I have found that the concept is now more largely found in smaller rural communities. Now days people like to get defensive and would rather respond in anger rather than appreciate you looking out for the good of their child.

Carnival does have a curfew for minors, but it is phrased mostly as a suggestion rather than a rule. "Lounges, shows, and the dance club: Guests under the age of 18 should be accompanied by an adult in all public areas of the ship. Guests under the age of 18 must vacate the dance club by 10:00pm. Guests under the age of 18 may not attend the Midnight Shows comedy shows as they are for adults only. (18 and older)".

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-544480

Parents can, of course, ignore the suggestion.

"Should be?"

"must?"

"may not?"

The only one of these expressions that could possibly be construed as a suggestion is the first one; but when I tell my kids they "should be" in bed (for example), it is not a "suggestion!"

You have hit upon the crux of the discussion: Carnival does have a curfew (who knew??!) -- but it is simply ignored by parents, and not enforced by the cruise line!

Is everybody happy now?

Wow...

does everyone saying that having a curfew is not the ships responsibility think there should be no age limit to smoking? drinking? Driving? how dare the goverment tell us how to raise my child.. if I want my child to smoke at 5 years old, thats my responsibility not theirs...

Whoa, whoa, whoa, the cruise line is not the government! Cruise lines have policies -- either you follow them or you don't; either they enforce them or they don't. This is in no way a civil rights or personal freedoms issue.

Gone a little overboard here...

:p

Whoa, whoa, whoa, the cruise line is not the government! Cruise lines have policies -- either you follow them or you don't; either they enforce them or they don't. This is in no way a civil rights or personal freedoms issue.

Gone a little overboard here...

and the people here havent gone overboard on the poor OP?

I was just replying to people that say 'No one should ever tell me how to raise my kid. no cruise line should enforce a curfew. if I want a curfew I will do it, not the cruise line.'

its the same thing with everyting i named. if NO ONE should tell you how to raise your child, then there should be no age laws at all and kids 5 years old can drink and smoke..

why not... no one should tell you that the age is 18 or 21 right?

its not as overboard as you think. People here are way overboard about someone who is just trying to help 'some' folk.

As I have seen in so many smuggling and smoking threads... if it doesnt affect you... move on to another thread. :p

Again, thanks for those who got what I was trying to say.

Curfew...like or or ignore it, one does exisit.

Unsupervised kids, - mine, yours, his or her - not good

Village - not about passing on responsibility or taking handouts but giving an eye to a child

Alcohol- how others use it can affect us ALL

On our last family cruise Pride of America there were men young and old buying young girls(16 to 20) drinks. I think parents need to educate their teenagers on what can happen if you accept a drink from a stranger. These teens were bold asking people to buy them drinks...I was surprised how many adults gave in. I spoke with one of the bartenders and he said he could still get fined and fired if a drink he sold was given to a minor by anyone other than their parent.

I was just replying to people that say 'No one should ever tell me how to raise my kid. no cruise line should enforce a curfew. if I want a curfew I will do it, not the cruise line.'

its the same thing with everyting i named. if NO ONE should tell you how to raise your child, then there should be no age laws at all and kids 5 years old can drink and smoke..

its not as overboard as you think. People here are way overboard about someone who is just trying to help 'some' folk.

As I have seen in so many smuggling and smoking threads... if it doesnt affect you... move on to another thread. :p

You are sooo right on all accounts! I was just thinking of posting the same.

The village thing? Not sure where that came from

It Takes a Village: And Other Lessons Children Teach Us is a book published in 1996 by First Lady of the United States Hillary Rodham Clinton. In it, Clinton presents her vision for the children of America. She focuses on the impact individuals and groups outside the family have, for better or worse, on a child's well-being, and advocates a society which meets all of a child's needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Takes_a_Village

Clinton_Village.jpg

I am interested in this thread and will continue to participate. You are not the first on CC to advise another poster to " "get off this thread if you disagree with me." I am sure you will not be the last.

I find the discussion stimulating, although I deplore the level of rancor and defensiveness it engenders.

Yes it does apply to restaurants & bars, but no place that has a permanent liquor license in the state of OH will serve anyone under 21. According to our former state legislator, the Ohio law was written that way to prevent anyone from causing a problem at a semi-private function like a wedding or reunion, if the bride was 18 & had a champagne toast or some 20 year old had a beer with their uncles & dad after a reunion softball game.

I don't think anyone acts responsibly all the time. Really have you never exceed the speed limit or jaywalked? Hopefully the older we get the less we do irresponsible things. As parents, why would you be unhappy with someone who is concerned for your child?

All too often in my job as a public librarian I've run into situations where I've had to enforce library policy and have been chastised by parents for speaking to their child. I suppose I shouldn't have told the 3 year old to stop climbing on the shelves, or called the father of the 15 year old who came into the library so drunk he was staggering. Maybe I should have gone home instead of sitting with the 10 year old that was left at the library after closing. I don't think so.

Archived