No cruise for me this year

Sipsey

Okay, no offense but that was so funny that I laughed out loud. Good thing I wasn't drinking at the time I would have spit on the screen. I'm sure it wasn't funny for you at the time, but it sure is a funny story to tell. The Perfect Storm.

No offense taken at all. After awhile, we DID always laugh about it. Some good DID come out of it - a new bathing suit, finding Maui Tacos (before it got all corporate), and a reason to go back to Maui. We did go back a few years later, stayed at Kapalua, and it was fantastic.

OP didn't get into the specifics as to why the wife wasn't into cruising, therefore I can't comment on booking that exact cruise. Maybe she didn't want to cruise to that location? Maybe she didn't want to cruise for a full week (and would rather a shorter cruise)? My point, was that since he's clearly upset that he's not cruising this year, maybe he could book something that would fit into his wife's requirements as a surprise. That was my suggestion.

If "she didn't want to cruise to that location", making it a "surprise" is not going to go over well wouldn't you agree?

Not the team approach that a marriage should be IMO.

Here is what I would do at this point. Go out on a date with your wife or take a nice walk and ask her if she will talk about her reluctance. Then, close your mouth;)

Perhaps, she is worried about money or maybe, she is worried about being cold in New England in October. I'd just listen to her and then see where that goes.

Tell her how much you'd like to go and why but listen to her first. Often, relationships come down to making compromises and maybe you can meet somewhere in the middle. Your relationship is far more important than a cruise.

BTW, peak leaf color in Maine is in the first two weeks of October. I hope you go but first, try to listen as to why she is reluctant. And, as others have said, there is always next year.

I made a sales pitch to my wife last night for a Canada/New England cruise this fall. But didn't make headway. I was thinking about the Glory out of NY in October, the airfare is pretty good right now on SW. In fact, I was even figuring out where the cruise terminal is, on the West Side in the 50's, right?

But my dreams have been quashed. Do you feel sorry for me?

Go for it. Tell her its is either a late or early Birthday present, Anniversary Present and Christmas present.

I appreciate all the well meaning advice, but I know her pretty well and I don't believe she would appreciate me thwarting her wishes, or committing our time and money to something she wasn't on board with. Just imagine if something went badly wrong, then it would be "this was YOUR idea and your fault".

Although I have on occasion gone alone on outdoorsy trips to places she wasn't interested in, with friends of mine she doesn't particularly like, cruises are something we do together. She does like them, but just doesn't want to do it this year. I think it's just keeping our options open for right now.

But, the year is not yet over. There is time for her to change her mind. I prefer making plans like this well in advance, but maybe it won't be that way this time.

Go for it. Tell her its is either a late or early Birthday present, Anniversary Present and Christmas present.

That is not gift for her at all.

It is disrespectful of her feelings IMO and makes it a gift for the giver, not the recipient. It would not win him any prizes.

I appreciate all the well meaning advice, but I know her pretty well and I don't believe she would appreciate me thwarting her wishes, or committing our time and money to something she wasn't on board with. Just imagine if something went badly wrong, then it would be "this was YOUR idea and your fault".

Although I have on occasion gone alone on outdoorsy trips to places she wasn't interested in, with friends of mine she doesn't particularly like, cruises are something we do together. She does like them, but just doesn't want to do it this year. I think it's just keeping our options open for right now.

But, the year is not yet over. There is time for her to change her mind. I prefer making plans like this well in advance, but maybe it won't be that way this time.

You are on the right track......... :) Until she agrees, it is not the time for booking a cruise.

WHEN she agrees, it will be much more enjoyable and provide you both the pleasure any vacation should provide.

Good advice above about asking for her thoughts and actually listening to her answer.

Good luck. :)

Archived