No cruise for me this year

Sipsey

I made a sales pitch to my wife last night for a Canada/New England cruise this fall. But didn't make headway. I was thinking about the Glory out of NY in October, the airfare is pretty good right now on SW. In fact, I was even figuring out where the cruise terminal is, on the West Side in the 50's, right?

But my dreams have been quashed. Do you feel sorry for me?

I made a sales pitch to my wife last night for a Canada/New England cruise this fall. But didn't make headway. I was thinking about the Glory out of NY in October, the airfare is pretty good right now on SW. In fact, I was even figuring out where the cruise terminal is, on the West Side in the 50's, right?

Time to go alpha male! Present her with the tickets "fait accompli" *

*not responsible for deaths or injuries that may occur

Forget the sales pitch! I would make it a surprise! That's what I do! My friends are getting used to asking about upcoming cruises, and I follow it up with "my husband doesn't know yet" lol. I only tell him about whatever immediate upcoming cruise I have planned a few months in advance or as necessary. I fail to mention when I have plans for others aside from the upcoming cruise. I find it's best that way so he can't shut me down! ;)

Forget the sales pitch! I would make it a surprise! That's what I do! My friends are getting used to asking about upcoming cruises, and I follow it up with "my husband doesn't know yet" lol. I only tell him about whatever immediate upcoming cruise I have planned a few months in advance or as necessary. I fail to mention when I have plans for others aside from the upcoming cruise. I find it's best that way so he can't shut me down! ;)

Really?

OP said he and his wife discussed it and she did not agree so you suggest he go ahead and book it anyway? :confused: Am I misunderstanding?

I would never do that to my DH. I would feel I was being disrespectful of his feelings and what kind of a way is that to plan a vacation? JMO....

OP didn't get into the specifics as to why the wife wasn't into cruising, therefore I can't comment on booking that exact cruise. Maybe she didn't want to cruise to that location? Maybe she didn't want to cruise for a full week (and would rather a shorter cruise)? My point, was that since he's clearly upset that he's not cruising this year, maybe he could book something that would fit into his wife's requirements as a surprise. That was my suggestion.

wow. seems pretty irresponsible on many levels.

what if he cannot get the time off? what if he expects to have the finances to purchase a new car or other major ticket item

not to mention pretty much a huge smack in the face. do you not trust him? or is this more of a you know you are acting shamefully and this is your way of justifying your actions?

I would be livid if my spouse planned major vacations without my input

wow. seems pretty irresponsible on many levels.

what if he cannot get the time off? what if he expects to have the finances to purchase a new car or other major ticket item

not to mention pretty much a huge smack in the face. do you not trust him? or is this more of a you know you are acting shamefully and this is your way of justifying your actions?

I would be livid if my spouse planned major vacations without my input

I didn't claim this would work for everyone's spouse/situation. All I claimed is that it works well for myself & my DH. I'm not sure how it's irresponsible given my specific situation (maybe in the OP's?). My DH's vacation time works on a rolling basis so his days always carry over and he always has at least 4 weeks vacation at any given point in time. Him having vacation time is never an issue. I pay for ALL of the cruise myself with MY money (cruise, flights, pre-cruise hotel if needed, excursions). Literally, he doesn't spend a dime until he boards the ship and uses his sail n' sign (at which point it's up to him how much he spends on alcohol).

In response to your other questions, he has a new truck already. And jointly we have any other major purchases already. We do not have kids, nor do we want them. That allows for each of us to spend money on what each of us like to do. I spend my money on cruising/travel & my husband is happy to join. He spends his money on our boat & his motorcycle (and I'm fine with that).

I have an Alaska cruise planned for his 40th birthday (which was totally a surprise to him) and he couldn't be more pleased with the trip. He continues to thank me for it & is very excited for our upcoming trip. I'm glad I'm married to him. Clearly he doesn't have an issue with my "shameful behavior". I'd love it if my DH planned a trip for me!

Yes -- I feel sorry for you.

I can't imagine what reason she gave you for not wanting to do Canada/New England at that time of the year.

The leaves will be changing -- beautiful.

Ooo. Seems like I might have stuck a broom handle into a hornet's nest!

DW is a fan of cruises, just wants to do something else this fall instead. Maybe will go up north, just not on a cruise up north. And I do have the time off, no major purchases planned (I hope), so we will go somewhere barring something bad happening.

I was really just being silly asking for sympathy, I'm sure we will have a great time together on land. We enjoy each other's company 99% of the time, which after 38 years is pretty good, wouldn't you agree?

I know it is different for many others. I always discuss what we are going to do with her well in advance. Sometimes I think I talk about it too much, ad nauseum. Although it is conceivable that I could get away with planning a trip as a surprise, I'm not at all sure it would be appreciated that she got no input into the decision. I wouldn't want to, for example, plan a trip to Alaska that costs 8-10 G without her completely on board as it is a lot of money to us.

But I have remembering our last Caribbean cruise on the Voyager 2 years ago and have fond thoughts about it, so I was thinking this might be the chance for her to go to NYC and do a cruise too. We will probably do it at some point.

But I definitely would not go ahead and buy the thing after she has already told me no, that's not what she wants to do this year! That would not go over well!

Ooo. Seems like I might have stuck a broom handle into a hornet's nest!

DW is a fan of cruises, just wants to do something else this fall instead. Maybe will go up north, just not on a cruise up north. And I do have the time off, no major purchases planned (I hope), so we will go somewhere barring something bad happening.

I was really just being silly asking for sympathy, I'm sure we will have a great time together on land. We enjoy each other's company 99% of the time, which after 38 years is pretty good, wouldn't you agree?

I know it is different for many others. I always discuss what we are going to do with her well in advance. Sometimes I think I talk about it too much, ad nauseum. Although it is conceivable that I could get away with planning a trip as a surprise, I'm not at all sure it would be appreciated that she got no input into the decision. I wouldn't want to, for example, plan a trip to Alaska that costs 8-10 G without her completely on board as it is a lot of money to us.

But I have remembering our last Caribbean cruise on the Voyager 2 years ago and have fond thoughts about it, so I was thinking this might be the chance for her to go to NYC and do a cruise too. We will probably do it at some point.

But I definitely would not go ahead and buy the thing after she has already told me no, that's not what she wants to do this year! That would not go over well!

:) Two thumbs up. :)

Dump the wife, get a trophy babe, and take her.;)

DW is a fan of cruises, just wants to do something else this fall instead.

it pains me to admit that I would like to do this next fall as well.. I want to return to Disney for the first time in many years( cuz we did the cruise thing ) even though it is actually cheaper for us to cruise for a week than it would cost to do MouseTown the way I want to do

it will take a lot of soul searching and DH's blessing to do this. maybe she dpoesn;t want to get burnt out on cruises

I'll kind of feel sorry for you. You're not taking a cruise, but you ARE taking a vacation.

I wish I could do that. I can only afford to do one trip every other year. I have to take the off year to save up for the next adventure. If I took less expensive vacations, I could probably do one a year. But solo cruising is just as expensive as land vacations for the most part. I don't want to keep only doing those Caribbean cruises because they are cheaper, but I want to see the world. So, I do what I can and do my one every-other-year thing.

My ex-hubby once surprised me with a trip to Hawaii. Got my boss to approve the time off, did all the planning and packing himself secretly (it's easy to pack for Hawaii in the middle of winter because I'm not using my shorts and bathing suit when I have 6 feet of snow!). I didn't know what was happening until he missed the turnoff for work and got off at the next exit "to turn around", which happened to be for our airport. Well, it ended up the trip from Hell. Flights in both directions delayed for over 4 hours each, missing connections. He came down with the flu the second day, so he spent the rest of the trip in the hotel room. He packed some things for me that I hadn't worn in awhile and definitely did NOT fit, so I had to go buy some things. When we got home, our car had been broken into and the stereo stolen.

He never surprised me with a trip after that ;)

Slidergirl, that is a sad story all right. Now, I think I feel sorrier for you than you do for me!

I don't think I'd care to cruise alone if I were single, unless it was a singles cruise. But that is an individual choice, of course.

Slidergirl, that is a sad story all right. Now, I think I feel sorrier for you than you do for me!

I don't think I'd care to cruise alone if I were single, unless it was a singles cruise. But that is an individual choice, of course.

Slidergirl describes her cruise in hell as a couple and you come back with being sad for her cruising solo? Hmmm. I travel solo and once on a cruise a woman told me how sad that was. I responded that I hadn't thought of it as sad until she mentioned it. As you say, it's an individual choice thing.

Slidergirl describes her cruise in hell as a couple and you come back with being sad for her cruising solo? Hmmm. I travel solo and once on a cruise a woman told me how sad that was. I responded that I hadn't thought of it as sad until she mentioned it. As you say, it's an individual choice thing.

No. Her story about the "surprise trip in hell" was sad, because her husband was trying to do something nice and it turned out badly. I don't feel sorry for her cruising solo, if that's what she likes to do. I don't think I would like it, but I haven't found myself in that position. I might change my mind, who knows?

Don't worry about it. I love cruising and doing land trips solo. It may be one of the better things to come out of my divorce. I can go where I want and not have to worry about getting agreement with anyone else! And, I don't have to lug my golf clubs to Hawaii or Arizona if I don' want to play golf.

My Hawaii trip just serves as a cautionary tale to anyone thinking of dropping such a surprise on anyone;)

My Hawaii trip just serves as a cautionary tale to anyone thinking of dropping such a surprise on anyone;)

Okay, no offense but that was so funny that I laughed out loud. Good thing I wasn't drinking at the time I would have spit on the screen. I'm sure it wasn't funny for you at the time, but it sure is a funny story to tell. The Perfect Storm.

It just gets worser and worser. Last night she talked about staying home for a week this fall. This means no cruise, no land trip, and undoubtedly CHORES! Wahhh!

Why not cruise without her? DH and I are also married 38 years, but he prefers work over travel, so I've been traveling (by land and by sea) solo for years. I've made some terrific friends (who occasionally join me on a trip), and always have a great time. We often joke that it's my solo travels that keeps our marriage strong and happy. :D

Archived