Sapphire Cabin Location: Aft, Mid, or Fwd?

GreySkies

My mom and I are going to be going on a cruise on the Sapphire in Dec to the Mexican Riviera. She is concerned about the rocking of the ship. I don't notice it enough to know how to advise her.

Is the rocking AFT and FWD that much more significant than MID for those who are sensitive to it?

If there's already a thread for this, please point me there. I tried the advanced search, but didn't see what I wanted.

Thanks,

The deck height influences rocking more than fore to aft location. You might prefer a lower deck. You didn't mention a specific ship, but Princess' "Grand and Crown" class ships have a plaza deck. It's the lowest cabin deck on those ships. It's also a good location for convenience, nearby the "Piazza".

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/kp/deck_plans/index.html

Have not sailed on the Saphire but spent 21 days on the Diamond which is virtually identical. We always sail in true aft facing cabins. We hit some rough water between Korea and Japan but there was not any huge motion. You do hear a bit more noise pulling into and out of port from the thrusters and alike but it's only for a few minutes at best. Love the sound of the wake and the view is spectacular in my mind. We like the aft Vista Suits (now S6) so much that if they are sold out on a cruise that we pick we find a different cruise. Next cruise is 31 days in one. True aft facing cabins of any catagory are highly sought after and are amongst the first to sell out on a ship. For the most part I have found the balconies attached to them are the largest on the ship.

We have been in a forward cabin on the Lido deck and at night could definitely feel a gentle rocking motion, which actually helped put us to sleep! But we did have to take move the coat hangers after hearing them slide all the way to one side, then all the way to the other side, then back to the other side..... It would seem that rooms high up and forward are going to feel more motion. However, even though we tend to be prone to seasickness, we weren't bothered by the motion.

Hi , if you are concerned about the "rocking" it would probably be best if you got a cabin on one of the lower decks , midship , the rocking will be less there than anywhere else.

Have a great cruise.

Cori

Been on this ship and the Diamond a few times. Have had aft facing corner on Caribe, Mid ship Baja, Forward Caribe, All balconies.

The one time we had an obstructed cabin on Emerald deck, mid ship, never felt the ship moving. Had to look out to see.

However, all the balcony cabins we had didn't have any excessive moving. Love the Sapphire and for me any cabin is wonderful on the ship.

In December for Mexico, took a Caribe deck balcony towards the aft. We prefer Caribe for the larger balcony, half covered, half uncovered.

We had an aft balcony on Baja deck, near the aft elevators, going to Hawaii, which can be rocky for a couple of days.

We had very little motion.

Sailing down to Mexico is usually smooth sailing. Sailing back CAN be less smooth, so I would avoid bow cabins. As others have said, lower decks have less motion.

Mid-ship is usually a good location on most decks. I usually bring those wrist bands--I got mine at CVS, and Bonine. Green apples also help a quesy stomach.

That said, I usually don't need them sailing to Mexico. Honestly, I think she will be fine, but if in doubt, lower deck, midship. :)

Pat

My experience is that near the bow its pure up and down, and It does not bother me much.

In the rear, you feel the Yaw, which I find puts me off a bit.

Different people fwwl different things

The California Current flows from the Gulf of Alaska to Baja California. It's a swift-moving, cold water current. Temps can be cool the first day or so out of San Pedro and the same returning. Seas can be choppy so unless there's a storm, the ship will not be moving up/down, side-to-side a lot but it will move. This is more noticeable returning to San Pedro from Baja California as the ship is sailing against the current. Cruises to/from HI will also experience this as the ship is sailing across the current.

If you are concerned about movement, the lower the deck and more mid-ship the better. The further forward you are, the more movement as the bow of the ship is the first part of the ship to meet the seas. The seas are more displaced mid-ship or aft. If it were me, I'd book a cabin on a lower deck in the 500-600's which is towards the aft yet still sort of mid-ship.

I much prefer an aft location on the ship in the 600-700's, not because I'm bothered by movement but because there are more places I like to go to towards the aft. I can go up to the buffet and/or Skywalkers, down to the dining room, etc.

Archived