6/16 Sunshine Review (long)

cx7owner

Okay, I promised I would return with a report on the Sunshine. We just returned from the June 16th sailing out of Venice in Cabin 7101 (Cat. 4J). Although I have been on a number of cruises (RCL, Celebrity, and HAL-- all at least twice), this was my first on Carnival. Thus, this review will be a mix of my observations of Carnival (based on this one cruise) and my experience on the Sunshine.

Of course, I heard all of the stories and rumors about the state of the Sunshine before we left, but I took them for what they were and was determined to make my own judgment.

First, we experienced no significant issues with the ship. There was a short period of time (maybe 10 minutes) where we had an interruption in propulsion (I think shortly after leaving Dubrovnik ). We would not even have noticed it but for the announcement by Noonan (our CD). It did not delay us and no other services were affected. On the ship itself, everything seemed to be fully operational (except, perhaps, the scoreboard/timer for the racing waterslides). There were small projects that we occasionally saw going on (working on a ceiling here or changing a light there), but to be honest it was no more noticeable or extensive than the type of maintenance you would see being done on a normal ship. We talked to many people, and only one had any issues with their cabin. The temperature would not get cool enough (I believe it was 75 degrees, which I agree is on the warm side). We heard their story after it was resolved (with a fan and an OBC), and I think there is a thread about it elsewhere. FWIW, our cabin (on an older deck) was always between 70 and 72. OUR only problem was guest-related and I was impressed with the extensive follow up we received from housekeeping and guest services. Another guest was smoking and it was infiltrating a whole section of cabins. I'll start another thread with the details.

The Ship: For the most part, the ship was great. It without a doubt felt fresh and new--I would say 98% new, but you could find the 2% if you looked hard enough (some rust at the bottom of a doorframe here or there or outside hull surfaces that clearly had several layers of paint). Our main criticism was that even by the 12th day, the inability to get all the way aft on decks 3 and 4 caught us out. I realize this is a pretty common problem with galleys, but the midship dining room on deck 4 complicated it. A minor gripe I know. Our other gripe would be the lack of quiet spaces. There is not a quiet daytime lounge anywhere on the ship. Even the library had piped in music and was usually buzzing with folks playing games. Our one refuge was the open side decks on deck 4 (I think 4, or was it 3?), but even one whole side of those was set aside for smokers (which seemed quite excessive). Other than those minor gripes the ship itself met our expectations. The water slides were outstanding and we appreciated the variety of food venues. It never felt crowded, except maybe the pool area on one very hot sea day (but we were always able to find deck chairs when we wanted). Lines were short in the food areas (the JiJi's and Italian place, and all their seating, really helped at breakfast and lunch). I should also mention that the beds were really comfortable.

The Food: This was the big surprise for me. Although breakfast was predictable and nothing special (variety is always tough with breakfast), lunch and dinner were outstanding. The numerous lunch options were welcome and maybe even a little unexpected. Guys was fabulous, but so was the Italian place and even the buffet. For dinner, we expected to eat primarily in the buffet, but found ourselves in the dinning room 10 of 12 nights. The selection in the MDR was great and the food tasty. I think it matched our taste better than the "fancier" food found on other lines. We also gave high marks to the pizza (best of any ship I've been on) and the brunch (except for the "comedic" interruptions). Although I knew it going in, I could not help but be disappointed by the lack of hot breakfast from room service. That is certainly an area that Carnival falls short compared to other lines.

Entertainment: We were on this cruise for the itinerary, not the entertainment, but what little we saw left a lot to be desired. The part of a comedy show we saw (albeit the family-friendly version) was pretty lame. I liked the idea of the live performers in the atrium (and in Red Frog pub at times), but it was overly loud and too often off key. Finally, the piano bar/entertainer was also pretty lame. He played only 5 or 6 songs the entire hour we were there, and spent the rest of the time bantering with a few "groupies." Also, the one night we watched a "dive in" movie, it started 15 minutes into the movie and the sound was too low to hear (even though the rest of what was piped into the pool area was plenty loud). On a positive note, the one show we saw (the rock one) was quite good and had lots of energy. Since we were not seeking entertainment, I realize this might not be a completely fair evaluation of the full offering of entertainment.

The Crew: This actually caught me off guard, as the crew seemed different than other cruises I've been on. They were generally friendly and competent. But, unlike my experience on other lines, they were not over-the-top hard working and friendly. I noticed a lot more European (albeit Eastern European) crew than on other lines. These are just my observations, but they seemed to visit with each other quite a bit and seemed "better off" than crews I have experienced before (lots of iPhones in pockets or hands of crew members). This is not a negative, as it did not adversely impact anything on our trip, and in fact it probably made me feel a little less bad for them (and made them more relatable). Also, we ran into no language barriers with any of the crew (which I cannot say has always been the case on other lines).

Other Observations:

-The ports were, as expected, outstanding. It was like a constant barrage of European greatest hits. We could not pick our favorite port, as at least 4 of them were absolute gems (Livorno, Rome, Naples, Venice).

-This cruise was a GREAT value for the money. We viewed the ship as a floating hotel and it exceeded our expectations in that regard. Our three day pre-cruise hotel in Venice was half the cost of our cruise.

-We appreciated the lack of pushiness in selling drinks and taking photos. It was a good balance of having someone there when you needed it, but not being pressured.

-We also appreciated the more casual nature of Carnival. Being able to wear shorts in the dining room was awesome, as it meant not having to worry about multiple outfits per day.

Thanks very much for your review makes me feel a little easier about our up & coming cruise on 28th July. After being on the brand new Breeze last year I'm not expecting it to be as shiny & new.

Any pics of cabin please ? Isn't 7101 at front with obstructed window?

We got caught in the Dream-Sunshine repositioning, we were to be on the Dream next year and Carnival, without even notifying us automatically moved us to the Sunshine, read about the change online and not Carnival website. We are still debating on changing they are giving $50 OBC to anyone that stays with their change or rebooks to another ship. After reading your review it puts my mind a little more at ease but we were going more for the ship than the itinerary this trip. My biggest concern on the Sunshine is the fact they added more cabins in the rebuild of the ship and wondering if it makes the ship more crowded. According to your review that didn't seem to be a problem.

Thanks for this review. I am sailing on the Sunshine on July 28th and am really looking forward to it. Thanks again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On Deck 4 if you go through Limelight Lounge you should make it from the Liquid Lounge to Sunrise Dining Room.

You're right. I was thinking it was the other dining room blocking us. The problem with going through the Limelight was it was always in the evening when we were headed back there and the comedy show was going on. We were blocked, but I was wrong about by what.

The other awkward thing about that set up, was that people would duck into the comedy show while waiting for their My/Your Time pager to go off (the comedians must hate this). I should have mentioned that we only had to get a pager one night (the first formal night I think) and the wait was about 20 minutes. All the other nights, we were in within a few minutes (usually right away or as soon as the hostess returned).

Any pics of cabin please ? Isn't 7101 at front with obstructed window?

I'll see if I can figure out how to post a pic or two of the cabin (I have at least one on my ipad). It was an obstructed view cabin, but we loved having the view (for an inside price). My two cents about the cabin are that it was on the small side, with no couch or chair (despite Carnival's representative "picture" of the cabin). We knew this, and would have kept our bigger porthole cabin if it was a concern. There was plenty of closet space. The shower was good size, but the bathroom was typical cruise ship small. I wish the night stands had shelves or drawers, as it was hard to fully use that space (it was just a narrow, tall cabinet).

We liked having the "secret" deck nearby, but it was no secret after Noonan announced at sail away that those decks were some of the best places to view sail away. Although it was only crowded at sail away from Venice, there were certainly more people out there than I expected the whole trip. Also, light sleepers should probably avoid those cabins, as there was some occasional door slamming (from the wind). This was late at night (primarily by a group of kids that went out there several nights) and first thing in the morning (as we were coming into port). I can't say that it ever woke me up, however.

Good review. I'm still in Barcelona and will put my own up when I get home. I agree with you in many areas.

I think the propulsion issue was shortly after we left Monaco though

I'll see if I can figure out how to post a pic or two of the cabin (I have at least one on my ipad). It was an obstructed view cabin, but we loved having the view (for an inside price). My two cents about the cabin are that it was on the small side, with no couch or chair (despite Carnival's representative "picture" of the cabin). We knew this, and would have kept our bigger porthole cabin if it was a concern. There was plenty of closet space. The shower was good size, but the bathroom was typical cruise ship small. I wish the night stands had shelves or drawers, as it was hard to fully use that space (it was just a narrow, tall cabinet).

We liked having the "secret" deck nearby, but it was no secret after Noonan announced at sail away that those decks were some of the best places to view sail away. Although it was only crowded at sail away from Venice, there were certainly more people out there than I expected the whole trip. Also, light sleepers should probably avoid those cabins, as there was some occasional door slamming (from the wind). This was late at night (primarily by a group of kids that went out there several nights) and first thing in the morning (as we were coming into port). I can't say that it ever woke me up, however.

Thank you, we are booked in two insides on 7 but 7102 has just come available but no other near for our teenagers, but checking each day. That's the only downside with Carnival the inside have no sofa etc

Good review. I'm still in Barcelona and will put my own up when I get home. I agree with you in many areas.

I think the propulsion issue was shortly after we left Monaco though

You are correct, Monaco. My brain has not yet recovered from day of travel.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Thanks for your review, great to hear you enjoyed it.

I leave this Sunday (7th July) on the Sunshine and just wanted to ask how did people dress on the elegant evenings?

Can men get away with wearing trousers and a shirt or do they have to be smarter than that?

Need to start packing for the 5 of us as we fly out to Barcelona on Friday.

Thanks

I leave this Sunday (7th July) on the Sunshine and just wanted to ask how did people dress on the elegant evenings?

Can men get away with wearing trousers and a shirt or do they have to be smarter than that?

Thanks

Trousers and a dress shirt would certainly be fine. There was a wide variety of dress that night (we only went to the dining room for the first elegant night). In fact, I wore a nice mock turtle neck and felt fine.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Thanks

No suit required, just trousers shirt & tie is sufficient.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting the review. My Wife and I will be on the Sunshine room 7101 in April 2014. I was wondering if you had any pictures of the room. I was also wondering if there was a bar fridge in the room. I have read a lot of reviews about the Sunshine room not having bar fridges.

Thanks for posting the review. My Wife and I will be on the Sunshine room 7101 in April 2014. I was wondering if you had any pictures of the room. I was also wondering if there was a bar fridge in the room. I have read a lot of reviews about the Sunshine room not having bar fridges.

I'll see if I can get any pictures posted from home tonight. The cabin does not have a bar fridge.

7102 is that a suite? We were in 7172 and we had a bar fridge. If it isn't a suite sometimes you can request one if you have medication that needs refrigerated. I think my wife's tonic had to be refrigerated for her vodka....LOL and they don't ask much for medical documentation.

Plus we will be back on the Sunshine in December we will be in 6182 on this trip and we will look into it for you.

Thanks for the review! If you want "long," go read Sargent Schultz' review. :p

NICE REVIEW cx7owner!!! And if any of you want to read another loooonnngggg Mediterranean review with the same itinerary read mine (listed below). All-in-all it's packed with some pretty extensive information and pictures of all of the major port destinations.

Archived