Carnival Sunshine Vs. Freedom of the Seas/Royal Caribbean

Robinola

I am booked on The Freedom of the Seas next year, but just learned The Carnival Sunshine is also going to be departing from Port Canaveral next year.

I am so torn! The website and youtube make the Carnival Sunshine look so wonderful!!!!!!! Should I stick with Freedom of the Seas or switch to The Carnival Sunshine.......They are both basically the same price.

We are booked on the Sunshine for December.....I am quite partial to Carnival but you definitely can't go wrong with a completely overhauled ship. Carnival Sunshine has all the bells and whistles.... good luck with your decision making

I am booked on The Freedom of the Seas next year, but just learned The Carnival Sunshine is also going to be departing from Port Canaveral next year.

I am so torn! The website and youtube make the Carnival Sunshine look so wonderful!!!!!!! Should I stick with Freedom of the Seas or switch to The Carnival Sunshine.......They are both basically the same price.

Definately stick with Freedom OTS, Sunshine is a revamped old ship. The Sunshine would be worth a try at perhaps 60% of Freedom but for the same price is ridiculous:eek:

Stick with Freedom OTS. RCI is much higher quality than Carnival. I stick with Carnival because it's usually a ton cheaper, plus I love waterslides. That, in my opinion, would be the only reasons to take Sunshine over RCI. Also, Sunshine's entertainment is very lacking by comparison.

I canceled Serenade for Sunshine, but if Freedom's the same price, I'd take Freedom!

My DW and myself have been true to Carnival (nearly 50 cruises); however, after looking at the new "higher" prices on both the Liberty and Sunshine for the fall of '15, we are seriously considering switching to RCCL...we, almost exclusively, sail out of Port Canaveral, and for the money and ship amenities, RCCL highly exceeds Carnival...this is sad for us as Carnival has been our only cruise line for years

My DW and myself have been true to Carnival (nearly 50 cruises); however, after looking at the new "higher" prices on both the Liberty and Sunshine for the fall of '15, we are seriously considering switching to RCCL...we, almost exclusively, sail out of Port Canaveral, and for the money and ship amenities, RCCL highly exceeds Carnival...this is sad for us as Carnival has been our only cruise line for years

those Liberty prices are actually much higher this september than last September.. by nearly 500 dollars for a balcony in the same time frame. So some will argue... it's hurricane season... well September last year was hurricane season too :D Personally, of those prices don't drop, I may be going on another line next year. I will not pay more than a twelve hundred dollars for two to cruise on any line for 7 days in an inside cabin.

There is no comparison to the FOS and Carnival Sunshine the smartest decision you can do for yourself is to only consider the FOS and go on her! I have been on her and her sister ship LOS few times in the past 6 years, wonderful cruise, excellent overall. Everything is much better on RC trust me!

The Sunshine is too small, RC, Celebrity, RC and Princess do not have a ship of the Sunshine's size trust me if you going on a cruise you want an overall wonderful cruise FOS!

We were on the FOS in November, and loved it!! We are loyal to RCI, but I was also looking at the Sunshine for an Anniversary cruise next year with my husband. We have never sailed on Carnival, and I am torn between the two!! :(

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There is no comparison to the FOS and Carnival Sunshine the smartest decision you can do for yourself is to only consider the FOS and go on her! I have been on her and her sister ship LOS few times in the past 6 years, wonderful cruise, excellent overall. Everything is much better on RC trust me!

The Sunshine is too small, RC, Celebrity, RC and Princess do not have a ship of the Sunshine's size trust me if you going on a cruise you want an overall wonderful cruise FOS!

The Sunshine is small? The Sunshine (fka Destiny) was the first ship to sail in excess of 100,000 GRT.

I'm not sure what the rest of your post means. Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess all have ship that are bigger, smaller and about the same size (within 10%) of the Carnival Sunshine.

Edited by Cuizer2

If the cost is somewhat close, go Royal. RCCL delivers amazing design and ingenuity in their ships, not common elsewhere. The staff is amazingly friendly and I am COMPLETELY bias on this:). I am Caribbean and RCCL recruits heavily in the Caribbean. I chose the Carnival Magic over Mariner of the Seas recently. It was a very good cruise but now I wish I had gone with Royal.

Go RCCL when rates are close or ingenuity matters.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Cruizer2 yes the sunshine is small, compare her width and length to all the other ships Carnival has then go do same to RC, Princess and Celebrity you will see that these other cruise lines do not have a ship that size the Sunshine is small.

Hello Firedudewife- Your welcome....I am the same way happens to us also but I hope I learned my lesson since my last cruise. LOL

Edited by lyndamr

Cruizer2 yes the sunshine is small, compare her width and length to all the other ships Carnival has then go do same to RC, Princess and Celebrity you will see that these other cruise lines do not have a ship that size the Sunshine is small.

Carnival - the eight Fantasy class ships are all smaller than the Carnival Sunshine.

Royal Caribbean - the six Vision class ships are all smaller than the Carnival Sunshine, though the Enchantment might be a little longer since it was lengthened. That still leaves five ships that are clearly smaller.

Princess - The Ocean, Pacific, Sea and Sun Princess are all smaller than the Carnival Sunshine.

Celebrity - the Century, Summit, Constellation, Infinity and Millennium are all smaller than the Carnival Sunshine.

Edited by Cuizer2

Why would anybody want to go on a ship that is old is beyond me when you have many newer ships to choose from. I do know the older ships you get less and are less costly, you get what you pay for trust me.

I didn't know ocean priness and all those still exsisted :D...I never consider them although would for Europe as all ships smaller in Europe cruises.

Why would anybody want to go on a ship that is old is beyond me when you have many newer ships to choose from. I do know the older ships you get less and are less costly, you get what you pay for trust me.

I didn't know ocean priness and all those still exsisted :D...I never consider them although would for Europe as all ships smaller in Europe cruises.

Not everybody likes the big mega ships. Some like the more personal feel a ship carrying less than one thousand passengers offers. Also, the Oasis class of ships are limited to what ports they can go to. The smaller ships can go where the big ones cannot. You will not see an Oasis class ship in a tender port.

I can't trust any poster who keeps trying to post incorrect information as fact.

What your definition of old but newer is not always better. The older ships, without all the bells and whistle, gave me a more authentic cruising experience. Not that I don't appreciate climbing a rock wall, going down a water slide, icekating and the works at sea. There is something I miss about the good old days of cruising, started almost 20 years ago, with smaller, simpler ships. What I paid on RCCL ships then is the same I expect to pay on Oasis of the Seas now.

Compared to 20 years ago, I am getting a 'cheaper' cruise, even at the going rate of some of Oasis sailings. With age I am leaving the mega resorts and Monstrosity of the Seas to the next generation, after I sail Oasis. I can recall everything, every detail, about my first cruising experience on RCL 20 years ago, on a much smaller ship, but can only recall the Quest show on my last sailing on Mariner of the Seas.

Edited by Blk_Amish