Carnival Sunshine Vs. Freedom of the Seas/Royal Caribbean

Robinola

cruzeluver I have been on 50 ships and I am only 50 years old I am very experienced going on cruise ships and cruise lines, and since you don't trust me don't read my posts!! I am simply speaking from experience cruising many cruise lines and cruise ships if you don't like what I said or my opinion and advice don't read them.:o

cruzeluver I have been on 50 ships and I am only 50 years old I am very experienced going on cruise ships and cruise lines, and since you don't trust me don't read my posts!! I am simply speaking from experience cruising many cruise lines and cruise ships if you don't like what I said or my opinion and advice don't read them.:o

No problem with differing opinions, but you have made statements that are factually incorrect. You stated :"the sunshine is small, compare her width and length to all the other ships Carnival has". This is simply not true. The 8 ships in the Fantasy class are all smaller than Sunshine.

You also stated "The Sunshine is too small, RC, Celebrity, RC and Princess do not have a ship of the Sunshine's size." Not exactly sure what you meant by this, but Royal, Celebrity and Princess all have ships that are both larger and smaller than Sunshine.

Cruzluver ooopsie my mistake your correct!

Yes, the Sunshine is smaller than Rc, Celebrity ships for instance the Vision class on RC is 862' length and width 127, the Radiance class 962" length and width 131". I stand corrected and apologize the Sunshine is not the smallest ship in Carnival. Im so used to crusing RC and the newer ships so to me the Sunshine is small. I don't mind smaller ships if they just give you the same variety/selection/quality than what they do on the newer ships such as the Dream. I loved the Dream and would of considered going back on her but she will be docked in NOLA and I living in Florida having so many cruise lines and cruise ships here in Florida just doesn't make sense me flying somewhere to get on the Dream, I was sorry to hear she is leaving Pt. Canaveral, she was my favorite Carnival ship.

Does FOS have the same HATEFUL revolving doors for the windjammer that IOS has? That would almost be enough for me to book Sunshine instead.

I was on the Freedom of the Sea in 2007 and I don't remember revolving doors for the Windjammer.

Hmmm.....Sunshine or Freedom OS both at the same rate....

Freedom OS has better service, nicer less crowded ship, awesome shows, Much better music with live bands around the ship......

Sunshine Old ship with a makeover with added cabins, It's no secret Carnival cutback on it's entertainment big time.

It's a no brainer....Freedom OS all the way!! :cool::D

if you don't like what I said or my opinion and advice don't read them.:o

Opinions and facts are two very different things.

Edited by Tapi

Does FOS have the same HATEFUL revolving doors for the windjammer that IOS has? That would almost be enough for me to book Sunshine instead.

While I haven't been on Independence of the Seas, I've been on her sisters, Freedom and Liberty, and there were no revolving doors for the Windjammer. Are you sure you got the right ship? As a matter of fact, I don't remember any revolving doors on any ship I've ever been on.

While I haven't been on Independence of the Seas, I've been on her sisters, Freedom and Liberty, and there were no revolving doors for the Windjammer. Are you sure you got the right ship? As a matter of fact, I don't remember any revolving doors on any ship I've ever been on.

There are no revolving doors to the Windjammer, on Freedom class, there are revolving doors from deck 11 that lead to the pool deck, actually a good idea as they stop the wind rushing in like it does sometime when regular sliding doors are opened.

There are no revolving doors to the Windjammer, on Freedom class, there are revolving doors from deck 11 that lead to the pool deck, actually a good idea as they stop the wind rushing in like it does sometime when regular sliding doors are opened.

You're right. I forgot about those. I never found them to be dreadful although I have seen some people not make it through without some difficulty. Usually from lack of paying attention.

Agree with SPDBigG. The doors themselves are not the problem, its the folks who walk around in a daze, not paying attention to where they are going that cause the problem. Probably the same folks who are not aware that they block an entire aisle in the grocery store so no one can get by. :rolleyes:

My guess is that the majority of the people who have answered your question (and in the process bashed the Sunshine) have NOT been on her. I just got off the Sunshine and the transformations are amazing. I had previously sailed on the Destiny, so I know what I'm talking about. All of the 2.0 upgrades were great, the new shows are the best I've ever seen (especially Epic Rock), and the "flow" in the eateries was excellent. The Serenity area was fantastic, as well. Calling her an "old ship" without having sailed her post-upgrade is unfair. But this has been disputed ad nauseum on these boards. Just saying...you would not be disappointed with the Sunshine!

Oh...and one more negative that I meant to address...the LIVE music all around the ship was wonderful. The Rock and Roll Time Machine, Robbie Lit, Zach Majors, and Sky Green were playing various places around the ship every night. Those who say "everyone knows how much Carnival has cut back..." DON'T know about the Sunshine. The music was live and very impressive. The new Playlist Production shows feature 8 talented dancers, all of whom also sing. No longer do they have the 2 featured singers and a group of dancers with them. It was SO much of an improvement over the past shows I've seen.

Oh...and one more negative that I meant to address...the LIVE music all around the ship was wonderful. The Rock and Roll Time Machine, Robbie Lit, Zach Majors, and Sky Green were playing various places around the ship every night. Those who say "everyone knows how much Carnival has cut back..." DON'T know about the Sunshine. The music was live and very impressive. The new Playlist Production shows feature 8 talented dancers, all of whom also sing. No longer do they have the 2 featured singers and a group of dancers with them. It was SO much of an improvement over the past shows I've seen.

Thank you so much for posting this! We can't wait to try out the Sunshine!

FOS is amazing! Thus the reason we are sailing on her again!:) I Love Carnival but none of their ships have ever came close to FOS

Are you sure. I'm pretty sure I saw a Carnival ship docked next to the FOS on a few occasions. The bridge wings were probably on about twenty feet apart.

Are you sure. I'm pretty sure I saw a Carnival ship docked next to the FOS on a few occasions. The bridge wings were probably on about twenty feet apart.

I'm sure! LOL. Which carnival ship has an indoor ice skating rink?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I'm sure! LOL. Which carnival ship has an indoor ice skating rink?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I don't think you got my joke.

You said ...

I Love Carnival but none of their ships have ever came close to FOS

and I said ...

I'm pretty sure I saw a Carnival ship docked next to the FOS on a few occasions.

Now, if they are docked only a few feet apart, then they are close - aren't they? :confused:

Edited by Cuizer2

I am having a similar problem. I want to go to Aruba. The Carnival Sunshine is repositioning from New Orleans to Port Canaveral on April 6, 2014, for an 11-night cruise to Jamaica, Aruba, Curacao and St. Thomas. I currently have the Explorer of the Seas (RCL) booked for November 2014 that is a 9-night cruise to Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao and Labadee also out of Port Canaveral. I cannot decide whether to cancel my RCL cruise and rebook the Carnival cruise. I have read reviews of both ships and I get conflicting reviews on both ships. If anyone can help me with my decision, I would appreciate your advice.

As far as the Freedom of the Seas, I would highly recommend this ship. My husband and I took the Eastern itinerary in May 2013 and absolutely loved the ship. Even though there were a lot of people on the ship, it never felt crowded. Embarkation and disembarkation were so easy! The flowrider area was so much fun. We would sit almost every day and watch the surfers.