Loyalty vs. Discounts

I have a timeshare and thus a timeshare trading company to trade my condo to different locations and use for other travel needs. I pay them an annual fee. I booked a cruise last April with them and completed the cruise. No extras at all, just felt compelled to use them since I have to use them for all my timeshare trades. My Next Cruise Certificate was put into their name when I bought it on Mariner. I heard of a cruise that was going to be on the C&A savings certificate tomm. and called TA about it. They said to book it now and they would give me the balcony credit that starts July 1rst. Cool !! So I booked. BTW, we use accessible balconies, so not many on ship to risk losing out on. 6 when I booked 3 days ago and now there are 2. TA also gave us 75% off one stay in Marriott or Hilton worldwide up to 7 nights in a row. Sounds good. Yesterday, I got on an internet cruise site and found same price on cruise plus $75 OBC and free prepaid gratuities. TA says the hotel cert. is worth more than that,, but my TA wont match the online sight anyway, against their policy. Not sure I would use the week in the hotel do to, well I use my vacation on a cruise once a year and on my timeshare once a year. Should I have my cruise released to the online company and get the OBC and grats, or just take the hotel deal and next time I buy a Next Cruise Certificate, have it put in RCCL name? I like a deal, but I also like low drag when it comes to vacation decisions. What would you do? I have no idea what the Hilton cert is worth as I have never stayed in one.

Depends on savings. I have used the same TA for years. She is very good to us. I email her my cruise, she grabs the cabin and any needs or changes, I simply email and tell her. No fuss, no muss. I can also find TA's that offer OBC or pre-paid gratuities. I don't follow a couple bucks. Really, for me, for the convenience and loyalty, her consistant great work and attention, and her putting up with me changing cabins, dining decisions, etc., it is worth a few extra dollars. I believe you get what you pay for.

If you are confidant and trusting of your TA I'd continue to use them. If not, I'd look at switching and see how it goes.

Just a personal opinion.

Archived