How's this for a plan?

Karysa

Looking for an active day that will please both myself and DH and limit our time in an automobile as we have two land tours already planned for our upcoming cruise.

It's a bit of a tight plan with lots of buffer time in case we change our plan or run late so I think that it's doable but in case I am missing something I thought that I would ask over here for guildance and suggestions and opinions.

Port at Havensight at 7 .

Take taxi to Red Hook

Take Ferry to Cruz Bay and arrive at 7:50 or 8:20

Hike the trail to Saloman Beach and arrive by 9

Stay and swim/snorkel until 10

Hike back and arrive in Cruz Bay by 10:30

Purchase ferry tickets For 11:15 ferry to CA

Shop for 30 minutes at shops near ferry

Take 11:15 ferry

Arrive in CA at 1200

Lunch at Gladys cafe

Shop until 2:30 - 3

Taxi back to port arriving before 4

Board ship prior to 4:30 all aboard time

Since there are many ferries to and from Red hook/Cruz Bay we can change our plan if we encounter problems with weather or ferries or if we decide to stay longer at the beach.

Is there anything I am forgetting to consider.? Thanks :)

Forgot to mention that we are on the Valor and it's the only ship in port on that Monday.

You are sure you want to spend 2+ hours to swim and snorkle for one hour? You could go lots of other places, save time and money...

We want a boat ride, a hike, a swim/snorkel, shopping and lunch. They are all of equal importance.:)

Yes it's a very busy day for sure. You could taxi back from the beach to save a little time if worth it.

But we would do the shopping and lunch in Cruz Bay, very nice shops as well as great spots to eat in Cruz. We much prefer the shopping there over CA. You could also hit the shops at Havensight before returning o the ship.

Going to CA to shop just to include Gladys' makes it a busier itinerary.

Yes it's a very busy day for sure. You could taxi back from the beach to save a little time if worth it.

But we would do the shopping and lunch in Cruz Bay, very nice shops as well as great spots to eat in Cruz. We much prefer the shopping there over CA. You could also hit the shops at Havensight before returning o the ship.

Going to CA to shop just to include Gladys' makes it a busier itinerary.

Thanks. Always wanted to try Gladys's and in March it was packed so we ended going somewhere else for lunch. DH wants to pick up another lace umbrella as a prop for his photography studio and the store is in CA. I personally would do lunch and shopping in Cruz Bay as well.

Do you know If Gladys's open for lunch on Mondays?

If we decide to stay in Cruz Bay for lunch and ferry to Red Hook and taxi to CA where would you suggest we go for lunch?

A nice cat or monohull is a great way to enjoy the sea. But a nice day on the water is a nice day on the water in my view. :)

Depends on what you're hungry for, the Banana Deck is popular as is Sun Dog. We enjoyed drinks at the Beach Bar and there are a couple nice little clothing stores right there but we never ate there. It is on the beach though.

As you know some CA stores are also in Havensight, have you checked that?

We stay on STT and still haven't made it to Gladys's! I don't know their hours, sorry.

Okay, I guess, if you call a stinky ferry a boat ride.:D I like the Sun Dog Cafe in Mongoose Junction, which is also a great shopping area. But then I prefer Cuzzin's to Gladys's in town.

Hahaha .... I almost spit out my spritzer:D (it's a holiday here tomorrow;))

I actually picked Sun Dog Cafe on my own in the case that we stayed for lunch in St. John. Always need a plan B.:D

Where abouts is Cuzzin's? What's your favourite item there?

A nice cat or monohull is a great way to enjoy the sea. But a nice day on the water is a nice day on the water in my view. :)

Depends on what you're hungry for, the Banana Deck is popular as is Sun Dog. We enjoyed drinks at the Beach Bar and there are a couple nice little clothing stores right there but we never ate there. It is on the beach though.

As you know some CA stores are also in Havensight, have you checked that?

We stay on STT and still haven't made it to Gladys's! I don't know their hours, sorry.

I have wanted to do the hike from Cruz bay to Saloman beach for years. I actually think that I gathered the information on here in 2009. We have never made it there though. We took a catamaran to Honeymoon beach in January and saw Saloman beach but I still want to do the hike.

If there is only one ship in port how long do you think it will take to get from Red Hook to CA by taxi? The store that he bought the umbrella in is a Linen store owned by a Canadian and I don't think that she has a store at Havensight.

We spent a few hours in CA in March so I know that the only thing that we need to go there for is the umbrella so if we take the 2 pm ferry back to Red Hook ( I will make sure that there is one) will we be able to make it to CA and back to Havensight for 4ish? The only thing we need to get is the umbrella and the store is a 5 minute walk from the pier BTW.

Is more time in St. John and just a quick stop in CA a better plan to all of you who know St. Thomas and St. John a whole lot better than I do? The only part of this plan that bothers me is the long taxi ride from Red Hook to CA but there is only one ship in port so maybe it won't be so bad.

Thanks so much.:)

'Is more time in St. John and just a quick stop in CA a better plan to all of you who know St. Thomas and St. John a whole lot better than I do? The only part of this plan that bothers me is the long taxi ride from Red Hook to CA but there is only one ship in port so maybe it won't be so bad."

I don't know how someone else can decide this. You have to decide if you want to spend a bunch of time on various forms of transportation in order to see a specific beach. Some feel this is a good use of their time, others would rather plop down at the first available lounge chair.:D

As to what I like at Cuzzin's- any of their conch dishes, the West Indian chicken soup (has whole pieces of chicken) and the imaginative cocktails of the bartender, Paul.

The plan is fine as is. O2, karysa is planning to take the return ferry from Cruz to CA so no return taxi is needed from RH. And as you said not an issue anyway, especially that day.

Karysa we much prefer Cruz Bay over CA for both shopping and lunch, but your plan works for what you are looking for. We prefer spending more time on the East End of STT than on STJ while others are the opposite. A few hours in Cruz Bay then time at Sapphire Beach is our idea of a good mix between STJ & STT. But the hiking trails are nice on STJ as are those beaches and fit your needs perfectly.

Enjoy!

'Is more time in St. John and just a quick stop in CA a better plan to all of you who know St. Thomas and St. John a whole lot better than I do? The only part of this plan that bothers me is the long taxi ride from Red Hook to CA but there is only one ship in port so maybe it won't be so bad."

I don't know how someone else can decide this. You have to decide if you want to spend a bunch of time on various forms of transportation in order to see a specific beach. Some feel this is a good use of their time, others would rather plop down at the first available lounge chair.:D

As to what I like at Cuzzin's- any of their conch dishes, the West Indian chicken soup (has whole pieces of chicken) and the imaginative cocktails of the bartender, Paul.

I think we will eat at Gladys Cafe this time since it has been on my list of places to eat and with only one ship in port it shouldn't be too busy. If it is busy I now have a plan B. thanks:)

The plan is fine as is. O2, karysa is planning to take the return ferry from Cruz to CA so no return taxi is needed from RH. And as you said not an issue anyway, especially that day.

Karysa we much prefer Cruz Bay over CA for both shopping and lunch, but your plan works for what you are looking for. We prefer spending more time on the East End of STT than on STJ while others are the opposite. A few hours in Cruz Bay then time at Sapphire Beach is our idea of a good mix between STJ & STT. But the hiking trails are nice on STJ as are those beaches and fit your needs perfectly.

Enjoy!

Thanks. If DH didn't want that prop umbrella we would not even bother going to CA on this trip. Thanks for the reply.:)

• 4 weeks later...

We had a great day on July 15th following my original plan. Loved everything about it from seeing the deer cross our path on the hiking trail to the gorgeous secluded beach and the fast ferry over to CA and our wonderful lunch at Gladys. My only wish would be to have had another 30 minutes to visit more shops at Mongoose Junction.:)

We had a great day on July 15th following my original plan. Loved everything about it from seeing the deer cross our path on the hiking trail to the gorgeous secluded beach and the fast ferry over to CA and our wonderful lunch at Gladys. My only wish would be to have had another 30 minutes to visit more shops at Mongoose Junction.:)

Glad to hear everything went well and you enjoyed it....:)

Yes great day in the islands! Glad you were able to accomplish the majority of what you wanted to do. Next trip you'll just have to tell DH no CA, just STJ! :p

Yes, a man only needs so many lace umbrellas. Lol:)

Archived