Tipping in specialty restaurants

jawsbad

Wise words, thank you!

Tipping cash every time i get serviced (or like from time to time, stateroom attendent would get a bigger tip at the begging of the trip and a smaller at the end, blu every day or second day etc.) would be most satisfiying for me. I know i can extra-tip and already did it. I was just wondering how everything works.

So in theory i could cancel pre paid and when onboard i could cancel the daily charge to cash tip. But the cash tip goes into the same pool anyway? Aren't the waiters etc. allowed to keep the cash or what?

And what do you mean by "falling behind my daily budget" - will that raise attention? :D I agree, i don't want to tip like 5 times a day AND tracking how much i tip not to fall behind the $12,50. But i wont care if i tip $10 on one day instead of $12,50 cause i might tip $20, too.

Well i think it really will be too much hassle and just leave it being prepaid, just like the last time.

I just wonder: if you cancel the daily charge and don't tip cash - besides you are a hog, will staff get to know this or do ppl get through with this?

Seems like you are making a "meal" out of all this (pun intended). :rolleyes: Just leave the prepaid tips where they are and be done with it. Then, if you want to tip individually any extra, go for it!!!

Wise words, thank you!

Tipping cash every time i get serviced (or like from time to time, stateroom attendent would get a bigger tip at the begging of the trip and a smaller at the end, blu every day or second day etc.) would be most satisfiying for me. I know i can extra-tip and already did it. I was just wondering how everything works.

So in theory i could cancel pre paid and when onboard i could cancel the daily charge to cash tip. But the cash tip goes into the same pool anyway? Aren't the waiters etc. allowed to keep the cash or what?

And what do you mean by "falling behind my daily budget" - will that raise attention? :D I agree, i don't want to tip like 5 times a day AND tracking how much i tip not to fall behind the $12,50. But i wont care if i tip $10 on one day instead of $12,50 cause i might tip $20, too.

Well i think it really will be too much hassle and just leave it being prepaid, just like the last time.

I just wonder: if you cancel the daily charge and don't tip cash - besides you are a hog, will staff get to know this or do ppl get through with this?

If you don't pre-pay and/or cancel the daily charge I understand that staff looking after you are given a list so that they know any cash tips from you must be pooled. If you are not on the list they can keep your cash.

Logistically, If you cancel charges on day 5 I assume they have to keep track of their accounts until the last day.

I would prefer pre-payment to become the standard one day and where it is an option it is my preferred way to go.

Anecdotally, I hear that some people think the whole tipping system is a scam and will not play the game. No idea if this is widespread.

It is up to the cruise lines to show some courage and initiative and fix the problem they created. Many posters on CC feel obligated to look after the staff.

It is scandalous that the cruise companies as employers don't fell a similar responsibility to look out for their staff. Without good staff their business cannot function.

If you don't pre-pay and/or cancel the daily charge I understand that staff looking after you are given a list so that they know any cash tips from you must be pooled. If you are not on the list they can keep your cash.

Logistically, If you cancel charges on day 5 I assume they have to keep track of their accounts until the last day.

I would prefer pre-payment to become the standard one day and where it is an option it is my preferred way to go.

Anecdotally, I hear that some people think the whole tipping system is a scam and will not play the game. No idea if this is widespread.

It is up to the cruise lines to show some courage and initiative and fix the problem they created. Many posters on CC feel obligated to look after the staff.

It is scandalous that the cruise companies as employers don't fell a similar responsibility to look out for their staff. Without good staff their business cannot function.

For the time being, tipping IS the culture of Celebrity cruiseline. I highly doubt that this culture will change in the future. I feel it's easier to follow the guidelines and accept this culture, than fret about changing it, or disliking it.

The money you are paying in the specialty restaurant is the tip. Those waiters don't get tips like the waiters in the other dining venues. You are not paying for the food, you are paying the tip which they split so you don't have to tip extra.

The way you have written this post you seem to be certain of your facts. I am not sure that it really matters, but I am fairly certain that you are incorrect. It is logical that a portion of the fee is used for staff tips, but it is not logical that none of the fee is used for the upgraded food offerings. Do you actually believe that the cruise line would just give it away without offsetting the cost? Or do have some knowledge that what you say is true?

If the food upgrade was not being offset from the extra fee than the cruisers not using the speciality restaurant would be subsidizing those that do.

The way you have written this post you seem to be certain of your facts. I am not sure that it really matters, but I am fairly certain that you are incorrect. It is logical that a portion of the fee is used for staff tips, but it is not logical that none of the fee is used for the upgraded food offerings. Do you actually believe that the cruise line would just give it away without offsetting the cost? Or do have some knowledge that what you say is true?

If the food upgrade was not being offset from the extra fee than the cruisers not using the speciality restaurant would be subsidizing those that do.

Here is what Celebrity's website says: Packages include restaurant cover charges and dining gratuities; all other charges, such as beverages and beverage gratuities, are additional. The cover charge (which I would assume is the larger portion of the charge), would either go to the food costs or to Celebrity's bottom line.

It’s become the de-facto standard to tip everybody and their brother now-a-days. Get a haircut, leave a tip, take a taxi, leave a tip, eat in a restaurant, and leave a tip…… Even Starbucks has a tip jar. It’s just a cup of coffee! Part of the problem with tipping (imo), is that we are not always “complimenting” the correct persons. As an example, when I go to a restaurant, I judge the food as much as the service. Yet in almost all cases, the chefs never see a penny of the tips that might be left. And I would suggest that they work just as hard as the servers.

I like the concept that the “luxury” cruise ships use. Gratuities included!! Yes you pay a little more up front, but it’s fair, as all staff are paid better and no guest is put in the awkward position of having to decide if they should leave an additional tip, on top of the mandatory 15% gratuity, which occurred in the additional fee speciality restaurant. If an individual goes above and beyond and you want to slip them $20, go to town. But that is the individual’s choice.

It’s become the de-facto standard to tip everybody and their brother now-a-days. Get a haircut, leave a tip, take a taxi, leave a tip, eat in a restaurant, and leave a tip…… Even Starbucks has a tip jar. It’s just a cup of coffee! Part of the problem with tipping (imo), is that we are not always “complimenting” the correct persons. As an example, when I go to a restaurant, I judge the food as much as the service. Yet in almost all cases, the chefs never see a penny of the tips that might be left. And I would suggest that they work just as hard as the servers.

I like the concept that the “luxury” cruise ships use. Gratuities included!! Yes you pay a little more up front, but it’s fair, as all staff are paid better and no guest is put in the awkward position of having to decide if they should leave an additional tip, on top of the mandatory 15% gratuity, which occurred in the additional fee speciality restaurant. If an individual goes above and beyond and you want to slip them $20, go to town. But that is the individual’s choice.

Chefs in restaurants get a decent wage that is not dependent upon tips, unlike servers. Also, in most restaurants the servers have to share their tips with bus persons, bartenders, etc.

Chefs in restaurants get a decent wage that is not dependent upon tips, unlike servers. Also, in most restaurants the servers have to share their tips with bus persons, bartenders, etc.

You obviously have not worked as a chef in a restaurant. The tourism industry is one of the lowest paid groups and chefs are near the bottom of that group! I'm not talking about "Food Network" celebrity chefs. I'm talking about the "bread and butter" chefs who work up to 60 hours a week in fining dining establishments. The servers, even with their lower wages, can easily clear twice the wages of a chef in a quality restaurant when they factor in their tips.

So exactly who/how did you get asked for an extra tip? Must have been uncomfortable?

On the Constellation last fall, there was a note enclosed with the slip you sign for the $45 charge recommending a $5.oo per person tip. It said voluntary if we felt you had great service. You could sign for the $5.00.

You obviously have not worked as a chef in a restaurant. The tourism industry is one of the lowest paid groups and chefs are near the bottom of that group! I'm not talking about "Food Network" celebrity chefs. I'm talking about the "bread and butter" chefs who work up to 60 hours a week in fining dining establishments. The servers, even with their lower wages, can easily clear twice the wages of a chef in a quality restaurant when they factor in their tips.

No, never been a chef, but I know two. One who works in a high end steakhouse and one who works in a mid-range Italian restaurant. Both are very well compensated.

No, never been a chef, but I know two. One who works in a high end steakhouse and one who works in a mid-range Italian restaurant. Both are very well compensated.

I don’t want to take this thread off topic off on a different tangent so I’m just going to make a couple of final comments on the subject.

Maybe we have a different idea of what is well compensated. I personally don’t think an average salary of $40K is well compensated especially when you consider the hours that are put in. Sure an Executive Chef could have a larger salary but they fewer in number and they also take on the function of managing staff, ordering, menu design, etc. And they are not always on the front line.

I speak from my own experience of having worked in a restaurant for 5 years while going through college (and I still consider myself to be an amateur chef). Additionally my son is an educated chef (4 years of college in culinary management and wine and viticulture). He has worked in a number of fine dining establishment along with doing catering functions. Between us, we have a pretty good idea of what is going on in the industry. I don’t know of a chef who was able to buy a brand new car with the tips they received over the summer but I do know of a server who was able to do that.

And maybe I’m biased, but I would rather have properly prepared, quality food, with poor service than crappy food with excellent service. I'm there for the food, and although I'd like the service to be excellent, it is secondary.

I don’t want to take this thread off topic off on a different tangent so I’m just going to make a couple of final comments on the subject.

Maybe we have a different idea of what is well compensated. I personally don’t think an average salary of $40K is well compensated especially when you consider the hours that are put in. Sure an Executive Chef could have a larger salary but they fewer in number and they also take on the function of managing staff, ordering, menu design, etc. And they are not always on the front line.

I speak from my own experience of having worked in a restaurant for 5 years while going through college (and I still consider myself to be an amateur chef). Additionally my son is an educated chef (4 years of college in culinary management and wine and viticulture). He has worked in a number of fine dining establishment along with doing catering functions. Between us, we have a pretty good idea of what is going on in the industry. I don’t know of a chef who was able to buy a brand new car with the tips they received over the summer but I do know of a server who was able to do that.

And maybe I’m biased, but I would rather have properly prepared, quality food, with poor service than crappy food with excellent service. I'm there for the food, and although I'd like the service to be excellent, it is secondary.

Both of my friends make considerably more than $40,000. Maybe it just depends on the restaurant and the skill and experience of the chef.

But in the end, we will have to agree to disagree.

If you have prepaid gratuities, does this cover gratuities in the specialty restaurants?

The fee you pay includes a tip but if you enjoyed the service something extra would be appreciated. An extra $25.00 wouldn't hurt. At least that is what we do.

The fee you pay includes a tip but if you enjoyed the service something extra would be appreciated. An extra $25.00 wouldn't hurt. At least that is what we do.

The Murano fee of $90 + an extra $25? :eek: Knock yourself out. :rolleyes:

I agree. With the cost now $45 pp in most speciality restaurants, surely they are getting a portion of that. I tipped when it was $20 or $25 pp but not now.

To each their own but the waiters are working no less hard when the prices were $20 or $25 p.p. then they are now. If the service was good then in my opinion they should be tipped. It doesn't matter to me that they may be receiving a portion of the receipts. I have alwasy felt if I could afford to dine out then I can afford to tip. :)

If the service was good then in my opinion they should be tipped. It doesn't matter to me that they may be receiving a portion of the receipts. I have alwasy felt if I could afford to dine out then I can afford to tip. :)

I agree but you are forgetting that they are tipped by the surcharge, and the tipping pool, so when I don't leave a triple tip it's not like they're getting stiffed.

Archived