Windjammer Dinner Items

So excited for you! I promise you will love it. :)

Thank you! :D I'm sure I will too. I've seen enough pictures of the outdoor eating area that I know I will be out there for countless of hours during my sailing.

Besides that though, I can see why many people opt for the Windjammer at dinner time. During my last cruise, dinner took way too long to come out in the MDR and we got to the shows a bit late, which I don't like.

Are they still making the Turkey Cutlet Parm in the Windjammer? Had it a few times in the past and it was pretty tasty.

Yes...On our recent ROS Alaska the variety the WJ had to offer during the dinner hours didn't disappoint...In fact there were two nights that they were making desert Crepes to order....:p

Yes...On our recent ROS Alaska the variety the WJ had to offer during the dinner hours didn't disappoint...In fact there were two nights that they were making desert Crepes to order....:p

Great, the Turkey Parm was a hit. I normally try to eat things that I don't normally eat while at home. But that hooked me.

Which items from the MDR menu each night will be served in the Windjammer, too? Only the entrees or will the appetizers and desserts be available as well? Are the daily MDR alternatives like chicken breast, sliders, steak and salmon available, too?

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their experience.

We were considering the WJ a few nights for dinner on the Allure just because of time constraints regarding show reservations. We have never ate dinner there and wondered what it would be like. Looks like you get a little of the MDR menu and some comfort foods, too. Not a bad assortment...and quick.

I'll report back after our cruise in October to share our experience.

I'm not sure the people who posted here actually skip MDR to eat dinner in the WJ, but I do. First of all, we always look at the MDR menu at some point during the day to decide if we'll eat there. Typically it has more to do with time, than food BECAUSE, WJ typically has the same exact items as the MDR as well as their comfort food. From soup, entrée AND dessert. Other than a couple of nights say in a 7 week cruise we are interested in dessert, therefore, we usually eat in the WJ 90% of the time so we are in/out of dinner within 45 minutes and we are off to do things we want to do, rather than milling for two hours over dinner waiting to be served.

I will say this, I don't recall the WJ servicing the lobster tails on the fish night, so we do eat in MDR that night. Maybe its just not easy for lobster in the WJ.

We didn't expect lobster tails but are glad some of the MDR entrees are included on the dinner buffet. Thank you for your help.

Agreed. Although we ate in the MDR or specialty dining every night on our recent Freedom cruise, we would walk up to the Windjammer to see what was offered. MANY nights we wished we skipped the MDR. For instance if the entree in the MDR was Chicken Marsala the Windjammer would have that but also have pork chops, one of two other meats, better sides (IMHO), and lots of variety. The desserts were also much better looking than the MDR.

I was afraid we might miss dessert altogether if we did the MDR some nights. I appreciate your reply.

We do that too, look at the MDR dinner menu and decide where we will eat that evening. The past few cruises, WJ has won most nights. ;):D They do not have everything exactly the same as the MDR - they do not serve escargot, lobster, prawns, those kinds of "higher end" items if you will, but you will find most of the same items are available and more of it. The desserts are available and they are often served "family style" or simply cut into bigger portions in WJ. I don't need the special sauce on the side of my small piece of carrot cake in the dining room, I just need a bigger piece of carrot cake. ;) LOL

WJ for dinner, especially on the Radiance-class ships with the outdoor aft seating, is absolutely glorious. :) Some people think WJ is not special or wonderful or intimate... I can tell you it absolutely is all of those things when you are with the one you love and you are together. I cannot wait until I get back there again... one day.... :)

Outdoor dinner with your special sweetie? That sounds romantic and not rushed. Thank you for sharing this idea.

It's been a while since we've been on RC, but the evenings we dined in the WJ were very pleasant. They even dim the lights and put linens on the tables. Lovely aft views.

Don't always get an oceanview in the MDR. I'm getting excited instead of feeling cheated out of an elegant evening. I hope they are still doing the linens and dimming the lights. Thanks for the encouragement.

I prefer to do it at my own pace, eat basically any combination I want etc, love the windjammer.

Since it's so busy at breakfast, we were going to try JR and the Park Cafe for most breakfasts so this gives us a chance to do the buffet without all the hassle. Glad you think it can be low pace.

I've found most nights the WJ will have the signature menu item (carving station item typically) along with others from the MDR menu (minute steak, chicken breast, indian dish etc) but I agree on the better sides. I don't want or need 3 brussel sprouts rolling around on my plate trying to escape my fork & knife or the 4 baby carrots adorning my piece of meat.

Most nights we peruse the MDR menu on screen and decide if we want to invest the time in the MDR. Many nights the WJ won out especially if there was something 'good' going on that evening... some nights I just want to have a small piece of chicken and a big honkin' baked potato loaded up... or a gigantic salad :)

Many nights on my last cruise they had theme nights in the WJ - one section would be italian or mexican etc. Our group of 10 would load up a bunch of plates of each item and eat family style at the table.

Another WJ bonus... you don't have the shame of asking for that 2nd or 3rd sourdough roll... you might have the guilt but not the shame :D

The WJ can be a guilty pleasure. I'm sold. Hadn't thought about the sides being your choice. A big fat loaded baked potato sometimes sounds much better than a sprig or two of a leafy veg. Appreciate your imput.

I agree with you...However we eat all our meals in the WJ regardless of ship (although on occasion a specialty venue isn't unheard of) as we have no interest in the MDR and don't even bother checking the posted menu (and that includes the small lobster tail night offered on the fisherman's plate ). Just off the ROS (May 24th) and of course you know the aft dining for the WJ is no more :( although, on our particular cruise you could have easily taken your WJ food out there since the aft was "EMPTY" every night of diners from Rita's and Izumi..no one dined there the entire cruise we were on..too cold and a bit windy. Also I for one missed the Seaview Café. No thanks to Samba Grill.

Always wanted to try the Seaview Cafe. It's a shame it's being phased out. But I do like the idea of Giovanni's Table. Thanks for the heads up.

Depending on the ship, there will be special items offered only in the Windjammer! On the Jewel, I loved the antipasto, and on the ships that have Jade, I really enjoyed the Asian menu items.

Since we tend to choose late seating, we'll usually do a walk-by of the WJ and try a couple of starters and perhaps a bowl of the yummy cold fruit soup, which they always offer in the WJ.

Didn't realize you could just stop by and get the cold soups and an appetizers. Should have figured that out since this is a buffet, right? Your idea of eating part of the meal, doing an activity, and coming back later for the rest of dinner is a gem. We just might just do this one night with our tight schedule. Thanks for a great idea.

Didn't realize you could just stop by and get the cold soups and an appetizers. Should have figured that out since this is a buffet, right? Your idea of eating part of the meal, doing an activity, and coming back later for the rest of dinner is a gem. We just might just do this one night with our tight schedule. Thanks for a great idea.

Happy to help! I've also read of people getting some cheese or sushi "to go" and enjoying the nibbles with a pre-dinner cocktail at their favorite lounge.

opps, I meant to say we interested in desserts so we are in and out quickly. Although my daughter loves that mini trio dessert, but only the chocolate fudge cake triangle. So in the WJ, she can take her trio of all chocolate cakes.

We've been doing WJ for many years now instead of MDR. It use to be very empty at night, however, it has gotten very busy. I think more and more people just don't want to get dressed for dinner, and/or take two hours for dinner.

omg, your favorite MDR dessert and others, too, without being embarrassed to order them all from a waiter in front of the entire MDR table. Love your daughter's idea of making your own chocolate trio.

Our group of 10 got back to the ship too late for our early seating so we decided to go to the WJ. My brother and his family who have been on many RCI cruises had never dined in the WJ for dinner. They were all pleasantly surprised at how good it was. This was our first RCI cruise and we enjoyed the meal and atmosphere very much. The waitstaff cleared the dirty dishes quickly and was always asking if we wanted a beverage (water, ice tea, coffee, etc).

Very impressed and would certainly have dinner in the WJ on future cruises.

I can see how a group would enjoy eating this way. Gives me the idea of inviting others on our team to join us for dessert after trivia. Thanks for giving me the idea.

Does the Windjammer offer the BBB creme brulee or the Sticky Bread & Butter pudding?

I've only done MDR for dinner. I do get annoyed with it taking soooo long!

But I LOVE those 2 desserts!!!

If the WJ serves them, I may never sit through a MDR service again! :D

Does the Windjammer offer the BBB creme brulee or the Sticky Bread & Butter pudding?

Easy solution. Check the MDR menu each afternoon to see when the deserts you like are on the menu. If they are not there, go the WJ. I think the Creme Brulee is a 'regular' item on the menu every night. But, do you really want it every night....

I have not seen Creme Brulee in the WJ. They do serve a bread pudding, but I am not sure if it is the type you want.

Are the daily MDR alternatives like chicken breast, sliders, steak and salmon available, too?

At least on Jewel of the Seas, the grill station offered grilled-to-order steak, salmon, or chicken during dinner.

The bread pudding and vanilla sauce is one of my favorites..They had it in the WJ during the afternoon snack hours aka Tea Time 3:30-5:00pm along with their yummy scones. :p

FYI...Some ships have sushi in the evening in the buffet. I think it might be the ones that have the JADE section. I don't remember sushi on the Voyager of the Seas, but the Mariner OTS had it.

Also, I like desserts from Cafe Promenade (CP) better than either the MDR or the buffet. So if you have CP, consider delaying dessert and going there later in the evening. Better coffee there too including decaf (IMO).

Archived