? Bears feeding on Salmon ?

Z-Knight

I think my question may already be answered by some of the bear topics here but I'm not exactly sure. I have a friend going on an Alaskan cruise and I told him of one excursion that I read about a few years ago related to seeing bears. This excursion involved going to some river spot from which they observed many bears catching salmon. They posted pictures of this excursion but I can't seem to recall any of the details of where it was or what. Can someone tell me if they are aware of such excursions? This may even have been a land excursion after the cruise from like Anchorage or Seward, etc.

Some posts mention "Anan Observatory from Ketchikan by plane to see bears feeding on salmon"...do you think this would have been the same excursion I've mentioned? I just don't recall them saying that they took a float plane.

Thanks.

It could have been the bear search excursion at Icy Strait Point (Hoonah). No planes involved. Photos and videos:

http://www.icystraitpoint.com/Gallery/Video#

http://www.icystraitpoint.com/Gallery/Photo#

I took this excursion in May, too early for salmon runs (which start in July) and no bears that day anyway. Folks who took the ATV excursion saw bears.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from our first Alaska cruise on Sunday. Last week we took a float plane out to Anan Creek and hiked an easy 1/2 mile to the creek to see bears. We saw 7 bears including a momma bear and her 2 cubs. All of the bears were either in the creek catching/eating salmon or making their way to the creek from the rocks and trees. It was honestly one of the most amazing things we've ever seen, and might ever see! We took this tour on our own, through Carlin Air, out of Ketchikan. Princess was not offering anything like this.

There are MANY "bear tours", so it would be helpful to post where this person is going. You would then get the detailed information.

Anan is mostly about black bears, many people want to see the browns, without flights, which is the cheapest out of Hoonah, with good sightings, Haines also can be good chances end of season.

Katmai is a winner as well. I've been canceled upon, three times trying to get there. (including this year) Will keep trying. :)

• 5 weeks later...
We just returned from our first Alaska cruise on Sunday. Last week we took a float plane out to Anan Creek and hiked an easy 1/2 mile to the creek to see bears. We saw 7 bears including a momma bear and her 2 cubs. All of the bears were either in the creek catching/eating salmon or making their way to the creek from the rocks and trees. It was honestly one of the most amazing things we've ever seen, and might ever see! We took this tour on our own, through Carlin Air, out of Ketchikan. Princess was not offering anything like this.

We did the same with family air on August 3 .. It was fantastic ... Here are some shots from that day...

ty2a5u7u.jpg

a6agesuv.jpg

y9aqe4um.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Archived