Dress Code--more questions (oh no!)

CHK

Glass Houses Whitemarsh, all demographics do a bit of that let's face it.

I suspect that many here are Gekyll and Hyde types. Tigers here, ready to swap insults at any sight of the enemy, and pussy cats when aboard.

If this was not so the medical centre would not be able to cope with the casualties.

David.

Since you brought up the subject, neither tigers nor pussy cats spend their time engaged in relentless pursuit of others with whom they might disagree merely out of a desire to harass.

Such activity is confined to the genus homo sapien, and to the weaker members thereof.

Thank you Jeanne :):) Glad you enjoyed it (I assume you're talking about 2012). Are you going on the Dec Caribbean cruise this year (I presume there's one).

You raise a valid point, I don't think it's fair to expect people to occupy chairs that have been recently vacated by naked people. That's altogether too much. I mean, what happens if it's a hot day and the naked people have retired to the Chart Room or Commodore Club for a cool beverage after a brisk walk around the promenade deck, are we really expected to utilise the same seats after said sweaty naked people have vacated them?

I find other cultures interesting, but I draw the line at naked people wandering around the public areas on a Cunard ship.

WM, without going back, if the 2012 trip was your PG experience, then that is the one. I remember picturing a good deal of what you reported.

I am still booked for the Christmas/New Year's Caribbean. The two deal breakers will be I come up short on actually being able to pay for it by next month and if they eliminate smoking on the balcony. The smoking issue will be the tough one--they can still institute that after final payment. I will just have to keep fingers crossed they give proper notice as they did with the cabin smoking.

Jeanne

Since you brought up the subject, neither tigers nor pussy cats spend their time engaged in relentless pursuit of others with whom they might disagree merely out of a desire to harass.

Such activity is confined to the genus homo sapien, and to the weaker members thereof.

I am a great fan of felines of all varieties, so I do agree with you.

David.

WM, without going back, if the 2012 trip was your PG experience, then that is the one. I remember picturing a good deal of what you reported.

I am still booked for the Christmas/New Year's Caribbean. The two deal breakers will be I come up short on actually being able to pay for it by next month and if they eliminate smoking on the balcony. The smoking issue will be the tough one--they can still institute that after final payment. I will just have to keep fingers crossed they give proper notice as they did with the cabin smoking.

Jeanne

Well hopefully everything goes to plan with the Christmas cruise. I really, really, really hope there are no changes to the smoking policies. Do you recall how much notice there was for the cabin smoking?

Once you leave NYC, how long before the ship reaches warm waters, as in when the pools are usable?

Well hopefully everything goes to plan with the Christmas cruise. I really, really, really hope there are no changes to the smoking policies. Do you recall how much notice there was for the cabin smoking?

Once you leave NYC, how long before the ship reaches warm waters, as in when the pools are usable?

Oh dear, I don't remember how much notice, but I do recall it was a decent amount. Perhaps someone else will know. I do believe it was right after the World Cruise 2012. I remember when I booked the July New England short trip that year it was not a big deal, being warm at that time.

If you are hearty, I suppose the second sea day for the pools. I am afraid I am useless with memory. That will teach me to make notes next time! That is one of the reasons I like FB. I have just started using it as a sort of diary.

J

Since you brought up the subject, neither tigers nor pussy cats spend their time engaged in relentless pursuit of others with whom they might disagree merely out of a desire to harass...

Ummm...

... I would have to respectfully disagree with you on that point. We have, here on this very board, a (deceased) specimen of Felis domesticus who spends his entire time doing precisely that!

:D

J

Ummm...

... I would have to respectfully disagree with you on that point. We have, here on this very board, a (deceased) specimen of Felis domesticus who spends his entire time doing precisely that!

J

Indeed! So busily engaged was I in the relentless pursuit of others with whom I disagree (absolutely everyone), with a spot of gentle harrassment for a little light relief, that I missed the original libellous post.:mad:

Sir Martin

Charming.

The example of an entire ship hired for a nudist cruise is interesting, but hardly applicable to the circumstances we're talking about here. I would not wish, nor do I think I should be expected, to sit down to dinner with naked people on a cruise ship.

Going on a cruise open for everybody I expect that standard social rules will be applied.

Speaking of 'sailing more often'....would love to be a part of the upcoming World Cruise on QE...what a great roll call they have going and what fun and entertaining people they appear to be. Sadly, :(I will just have to wait and read about how wonderful it was when they return.

best wishes to you,

seasidegal

Thank you, seasidegal. I was excited about this World Cruise to start with but after "talking" with the other members of the roll call the anticipation has mounted. I feel I made a wise choice when I picked Cunard for the world voyage and will be sailing with really great people.

I'm hoping that Whitemarsh can be coerced into doing another "Live" report while he is onboard. Unfortunately, I am not as good a writer as he but I will be posting a blog while on the cruise. I am going to use a number of pictures to help make up for my lack of creative writing skills:o.

Wish you were able to join us,

Kathi

Thank you, seasidegal. I was excited about this World Cruise to start with but after "talking" with the other members of the roll call the anticipation has mounted. I feel I made a wise choice when I picked Cunard for the world voyage and will be sailing with really great people.

I'm hoping that Whitemarsh can be coerced into doing another "Live" report while he is onboard. Unfortunately, I am not as good a writer as he but I will be posting a blog while on the cruise. I am going to use a number of pictures to help make up for my lack of creative writing skills:o.

Wish you were able to join us,

Kathi

Kathi:

Thank you so very much...I, too, wish I could join you. Like really really really wish..:-) However, we have care of an elderly parent so can't take the time away). I will be 'green with envy' everyday...green is such an unbecoming facial colour! :rolleyes:

I just love reading your roll call as it is such fun and so many nice, helpful people posting. What a great trip you will all have....so happy for you!

I will really look forward to reading what you post while on board and any pictures you share will be most appreciated.

Just a bit of gossip....please let me know if Whitemarsh is as funny in person as on this forum. :D

Thanks again,

seasidegal

Hi Whitemarsh,

In early November 2007, on QM2, the outside pools were only used by a few, while heading south after leaving New York.

Ist day: QM2 And, in our wake...

2nd day: QM2 Morning on our second day at sea still heading south...

(btw, on the way back to New York (with the sun on the stern of course) we had better weather, so many more were sunbathing two days from our destination:

QM2 ...soaking up the last of the sun... )

(Incidentally, on the way south, QM2 passed, early the first morning, a Vista class ship (Zuiderdam). She had left New York many hours ahead of QM2, both ships heading for Tortola. Zuiderdam arrived there many hours behind QM2. The sequence of ten photos starts here:

QM2 ...ahead the lights of a cruise ship can be seen... )

Have a great time, hope this helps!

More urbane and witty IMO (having met once briefly) :)

I also recall you being on a neighbouring table up in the Commodore Club on the second last or last night before Sydney. And then, in Melbourne, I'm pretty sure you were with a group having ice-cream and/or coffee just off the pier. We waved and would have come over but I'd forgotten my wallet and had no money. :eek: :eek:

Could've been me - we did frequent the Commodore Club as our bar of choice - great choice of vodkas and they made a mean Cosmo (though perhaps should not admit to liking them). They had lots of lime in them - yum.

In Melbourne we did just have a coffee at the place at the end of the pier then walked around the area. Not with a group but there were lots of people around. Good grief, I amaze myself that I can still remember :)

We usually found the weather to moderate quite a bit by the end of the second day. As mentioned, you're pretty much at about the latitude of Cape Hatteras,NC. at that point.

FYI - was in Britannia tonight on QM2 -- informal night. Saw a man with a family walk in -- he was wearing off white pants and white shirt -- no jacket. They passed our table and walked towards the back of the dining room. We saw a head waiter follow the group and about 30 seconds later the man leaving the dining room. We didn't see him return, but he may have.

So I am going to assume that the head waiter told the man he needed to have a jacket. It looked like that staff is enforcing the dress code.

We usually found the weather to moderate quite a bit by the end of the second day. As mentioned, you're pretty much at about the latitude of Cape Hatteras,NC. at that point.

Yes, that was wonderful. But now, the ship goes at a slower speed to conserve fuel. It would be nice if the Captain was permitted to push the petal to the metal until warmer climates are reached, and then reduced speed to conserve fuel. However, I understand that weather, sea conditions and emergency situations (like air rescue of a very sick passenger or crew member) changes everything.

Regarding the 2013 Caribbean Dec voyage: the ship leaves NY on 12/22 and is scheduled to dock in St. Thomas on 12/26. Just a rough guess, but I'd say by Christmas morning, it should be nice and warm on deck.

FYI - was in Britannia tonight on QM2 -- informal night. Saw a man with a family walk in -- he was wearing off white pants and white shirt -- no jacket. They passed our table and walked towards the back of the dining room. We saw a head waiter follow the group and about 30 seconds later the man leaving the dining room. We didn't see him return, but he may have.

So I am going to assume that the head waiter told the man he needed to have a jacket. It looked like that staff is enforcing the dress code.

Perhaps jackets could be provided "on loan" to men who show up in the MDR without a jacket? We'd be happy to donate a few nice jackets to the cause. Frankly, as much as I appreciate the dress code, it makes me sad to think of a family not being able to dine together for lack of a jacket.

Edited to add: The newly revised dress code, as it applies to women, is wide open to interpertation. After my voyage last month, I felt that the standards for women and men were very disparate. Personally, I feel Cunard made a huge mistake in changing the dress code, but since that is a done deal, it should be equitable.

Edited to add: The newly revised dress code, as it applies to women, is wide open to interpertation. After my voyage last month, I felt that the standards for women and men were very disparate. Personally, I feel Cunard made a huge mistake in changing the dress code, but since that is a done deal, it should be equitable.

I have always felt that the dress code for women was always a bit more "open to interpretation" (as you said). And the dress code for men was/is "ambiguous" -- but then again, it is only a suggestion , not a directive.

I note that P&O UK are going in the opposite direction to Cunard in regards to their "formal night". I understand that P&O now call their formal nights -- Black Tie. Perhaps they are trying to poach Cunarders??

"Black tie --All ships

For a typical two week cruise there are normally four black tie evenings on board. However, when it is very hot, the number may be reduced.

Black tie nights on board are an opportunity for ladies to wear glamorous evening wear including cocktail dresses, ballgown or even a smart trouser suit. For men, a dinner jacket or tuxedo are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative. You can also wear formal national dress or military uniform. Attire for Black tie nights can be purchased or hired on board. Further details on hiring formal wear facility can be found by clicking here.

Appropriate attire is essential for entry to many of the ship's bars and restaurants."

Barry

Pity P&O UK does not seem to be aware of the agreement of verb and subject :)

...as long as their participles don't dangle, and their conjunction doesn't scare the horses, there should be no sentence for lack any agreement between verb and subject.

:D -S.

Archived