Going up a tier while onboard...

We became Emerald 2 days into our cruise in March. That afternoon a tray of goodies arrived with sweet and savory snacks and sparkling juice. We asked why with no answer and enjoyed it all. We still won't have our Emerald pins or Seapass recognition till January's cruise. 200 plus days away (sigh)

Maybe you should ask RCI why they wrote the rules the way they did?

Your absolutely right! I am sure there is method to their madness.

The "rules" go back to when each cruise was counted as 1 cruise. Later on they added if you sailed in a suite it counted as 2 cruises and also extra for a cruise of 11 days or more. So, you got the cruise credit when the cruise was completed. It got all complicated when the changeover was made to cruise points with 1 cruise point for each night (double when in a suite). Levels could be attained mid-cruise but the points are not added in the computer until the cruise is completed.

The "rules" go back to when each cruise was counted as 1 cruise. Later on they added if you sailed in a suite it counted as 2 cruises and also extra for a cruise of 11 days or more. So, you got the cruise credit when the cruise was completed. It got all complicated when the changeover was made to cruise points with 1 cruise point for each night (double when in a suite). Levels could be attained mid-cruise but the points are not added in the computer until the cruise is completed.

The rules used to say that you got the credit for the cruise after you completed it. Now they say you get credit for the days after you complete the cruise. It is only complicated for those who try to make it so.

You bring up a valid point. So we are now in year 2013. The computer cannot add in the levels obtained mid-cruise...........where are the humans to add this information in? It is humans that are telling the computer what to do and can certainty over write it. Or the LA on each cruise can see what level you are at and manually,,,,,,,,,,,in their head,,,,,,,,,,,figure it out.

The rules used to say that you got the credit for the cruise after you completed it. Now they say you get credit for the days after you complete the cruise. It is only complicated for those who try to make it so.

[/color]

You bring up a valid point. So we are now in year 2013. The computer cannot add in the levels obtained mid-cruise...........where are the humans to add this information in? It is humans that are telling the computer what to do and can certainty over write it. Or the LA on each cruise can see what level you are at and manually,,,,,,,,,,,in their head,,,,,,,,,,,figure it out.

Don't shoot the messenger:rolleyes: I was just answering the question about the "rules".

Why not honor the next level on the cruise you obtain it. From what I understand, pinnacle level is honored on the cruise you reach that level at.

Think about it - it means lost revenue. Someone (like us!) becomes Diamond part way through a cruise (like we did!) and if permitted in the Diamond Lounge or nightly Diamond Event, that's lost revenue for RCI even on those few drinks. Then maybe people would start asking for a pro-rated balcony discount on the nights they were Diamond and not Emerald... where does it end?

Pinnacle I can understand - it's a mere dream to most of us, but I'd kiss the floor if a Pinnacle member asked me to. :D Well, maybe not... :p;)

We don't expect anything during the cruise, because we wouldn't have completed it yet, but am interested in knowing since we have two additional cruises following the first one, with a 9 day separation, if when we board for the Transpacific ( cruise 2) if our Emerald level will be reflected, same with the jump to Diamond at the end of the TP.

We don't expect anything during the cruise, because we wouldn't have completed it yet, but am interested in knowing since we have two additional cruises following the first one, with a 9 day separation, if when we board for the Transpacific ( cruise 2) if our Emerald level will be reflected, same with the jump to Diamond at the end of the TP.

I would see the Loyalty Ambassador on the last day of cruise 1, and ask that your status be updated, explaining that you are getting back on a ship in 9 days. You can also call C&A and ask them to verify it. Sometimes they update the status immediately, and sometimes it can take a week or two. You can also check your account online. Talking to the LA at the end of cruise 1 can just get the process jump-started.

If the TP is your last cruise, then you can check online a week or so after you get back.

We moved up to Emerald on night 2 of our last cruise. To our surprise a tray of sweet and savory goodies appeared with sparkling juice. No explanation. Just our room number on the tray. We were still listed as Platinum on seapass etc. Have fun on your trip. Counting the days till we go again. 200 plus ( sigh)

Afternoon Pcur, we have 3 cruises plus the 9 day land. we reach Emerald at the end of the NZ and Diamond at the end of the TP, going into the Hawaii cruise. I have a JS for Cruise 1 & 2 but due to cost dropped back to a D-1 for the Hawaii. They wanted more for the JS on the Hawaii then I paid for us on the TP. I said Nope.

March 19, 2014 13 day NZ

April 10 2014 18 day TP

April 27, 2014 12 day Hawaii

Gay

Oh gosh... another "the rules really don't apply to me" post. The next level is NOT earned until the current CRUISE is COMPLETED. Why is it necessary to continually suggest that people push staff to break the rules?

Royal Caribbean is number 1 in customer satisfaction for a reason. They allow the staff to satisfy the customers. From my experience on all the mainstream cruise lines, on Royal Caribbean they empower the staff to satisfy the customers the most. I don't think the staff are breaking the rules. Of course not all staff are going to do it but I don't think it hurts anything or anyone to ask.

If it is such a strict policy, then they would not have stickers already printed for new levels. The mere presence of stickers indicates that they anticipate changing the level on Sea Pass Cards for their customers.

I think the stickers are for putting on cards of people whose new level is not in the computer yet or who are misdesignated in error. That happened to me when I moved to Diamond. The cruise I completed that moved me up to Diamond (not a back to back) was close my next cruise. They confirmed I was Diamond onboard and gave me the sticker and Diamond coupon books.

Afternoon Pcur, we have 3 cruises plus the 9 day land. we reach Emerald at the end of the NZ and Diamond at the end of the TP, going into the Hawaii cruise. I have a JS for Cruise 1 & 2 but due to cost dropped back to a D-1 for the Hawaii. They wanted more for the JS on the Hawaii then I paid for us on the TP. I said Nope.

March 19, 2014 13 day NZ

April 10 2014 18 day TP

April 27, 2014 12 day Hawaii

Gay

So, be sure to ask about your Emerald status AND your Diamond on 3/18. By the time you get back on you should be Emerald! The Diamond may be a little trickier, but since it's all the same ship, you can go back on 4/26 and re-remind the LA you are turning Diamond.

Thank you, I plan on getting with LA about the status as soon as I can on the March 19th sailing. It would be nice if we are given the Diamond status when we board for the Hawaii cruise.:) At the rate we were cruising, I figured we would stay Platinum. A cruise maybe every 2 to 3 years was what were were managing.

Gay

On our upcoming Legend Panama cruise I was thinking of asking the LA about moving up during the cruise as we would reach Diamond part way into the cruise. But maybe I won't as I would not want to upset all the rule followers.

I lied, I am going to ask as I really don't care if they get their panties in a bunch. (Stirring that pot again :p:D)

On our upcoming Legend Panama cruise I was thinking of asking the LA about moving up during the cruise as we would reach Diamond part way into the cruise.

We tried this and were met with a firm negative head shake before the words were even out of DH's mouth. As I said earlier, I think it's huge to move from Emerald to Diamond because of the free alcohol - not something they are likely to do. *shrug*

On our upcoming Legend Panama cruise I was thinking of asking the LA about moving up during the cruise as we would reach Diamond part way into the cruise. But maybe I won't as I would not want to upset all the rule followers.

I lied, I am going to ask as I really don't care if they get their panties in a bunch. (Stirring that pot again :p:D)

Actually, whether you ask the LA or not is about as much of my concern as how you dress in the MDR or how, and how much, you tip the crew. I just don't care. :)

Archived