Allure of the Seas Complete Guide!

Ok, I tried to post a Member Review, but it will not work, so here goes. I tried to cover almost everything, but fire away on any questions you have. We just returned on June 30 - party of 11 - ages 6-70. Eastern Caribbean. Enjoy!

Rooms

We have stayed in 12550 and 12552 on both Allure and Oasis. The rooms are identical but the are connecting. It is nicer IMO to have two bathrooms and a larger balcony (and some privacy) than to have a larger suite for 4 people. It is also cheaper. Rooms are workable, balconies are nice size and give the impression that the cabin is larger than it is, and the beds are very comfortable (and I'm picky). The pillows could be a little more robust.

These rooms are very quiet. They are two floors down from the sundeck and you hear nothing. And, there are cabins below and above you, so no nightclub noise. The rooms are incredibly well-sealed from sound; equivalent to the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Of course, they can always be larger, especially the closets!

The small coffee table is basically just "in the way" and could be removed altogether. The minibar is useless if you have the soft drink and/or liquor packages, because cans and bottles in the fridge are not included. If you buy a water package (a case of Evian), just remove the minifridge items and replace with your purchased items.

Food

We all thought the food was much better this year on Allure than on the Oasis last year. The new menu has good variety, and some of the dishes were surprisingly great. The strip steak was a significant upgrade over the sirloin last year, in both taste, quality and portion size. Just make sure to get it medium rare or medium. Anything else and it is way too tough to eat. Our son had it almost every day. However, I ordered the Chops filet most days for $15 and it is still much more tender and flavorful. The lobsters were amazing - we all raved about them. They were large, tender and delish! Do not miss the lobsters on the second formal night (Friday). Oh, and you can get the Chops-like filet on the first formal night (Monday) free of charge. We all also ate the shrimp cocktail almost every night along with a salad AND a soup. Our waiter Prabu was fabulous. Dinner was one of the highlights of the trip.

Chop's Grille is fantastic, but with a large group this year, we chose not to visit. So, the option to upgrade to a filet for me was nice. Izturi is a favorite of mine for appetizers. I usually would be the last of my family to head to the showers before dinner, so I would grab a cocktail and head to Izturi and order some sushi to go. They would package it up for me without a sitting fee and I'd take it back to the room. We'd eat sushi almost every night on the balcony. Very cool. My wife also ordered room service cheese and fruit trays many times before dinner. A nice touch.

Johnny Rocket's was solid as always, and worth the $4 pp charge. Beware the milkshakes are not included and are $4.75 apiece. Use the coupon if you are a C&A member (2 for 1).

The Doghouse on the Boardwalk is another nice included (and quick) option, but the ice cream shop across the way should also be included (or cheaper). Hardly anyone went in there. Same with the cotton candy and popcorn next to the Carousel. That should be included as well - cheap to produce.

We did go to Rita's and it was pretty good, but not spectacular by any means. The service was attentive and the food was hot. It just seemed to be missing something.

Drink Package

We have done the soda packages in the past, as we tend to drink alot of them. I am a big Coke Zero fanatic (I don't drink coffee), so I was pumped to see the Coke Freestyle machines on the ship. There are two at Sorrento, one at the Wipeout Cafe and 2 in Windjammer. But, even with the soda package, you have to have a RC tumbler to use these machines. A regular glass does not work - the tumblers have a chip in them and you can only refill every 13 minutes or so. One bummer is if you get the Premium Alcohol Package, you do not get a tumbler, which is ridiculous. You pay $350 and cannot use the Freestyle machines, but you buy the $50 soda package alone, and you can. It makes no sense. I just used my teens' tumblers all the time and made them just order cokes in glasses (which you can also do in the Premium Alcohol Pkg). But it is ludicrous to leave out the tumblers for that price.

The spirits included (which others have listed) are numerous and top shelf in most respects. The only liquors I noticed were not included were Patron and Woodford Reserve. I'm sure there are others, but we always specified "Grey Goose' or whatever in our drinks to ensure we got the best (since we'd paid for it). There is also no Corona Light for some reason, but the beer selection otherwise was pretty decent. The drinks were a very generous pour at every bar we tried all over the ship. In fact, some drinks were even too strong.

Although no one seemed to expect an extra tip, we did tip $1 or $2 around the ship most of the time on 1 or 2 drinks. It seemed to be appreciated but not expected. Note that a few bartenders would not allow you to bring up two cards with the Premium packages and get two drinks. Most bartenders didn't care but a couple would not serve you the second drink unless they could "see" the second person.

The only downside to the Premium Package (aside from the cost) is that the wine selections are abysmal. We are big wine drinkers and have been to Napa and Sonoma several times. The St. Martin chardonnay and the reds were undrinkable (and we drink plenty of under $20 wines). Something has to be done about this. No one in our group drank wine all week other than the weak chardonnay. Most of us drink cocktails with dinner (grey goose, martinis, etc.) rather than drink wine, which was unusual.

Excursions/Ports

Nassau

With only 4 hours in Nassau, and having never been to Atlantis, we debated whether to spend over $150 pp on the Aquaventure. The price is exorbitant, but the pools and slides are substantial and frankly fantastic. With such a short excursion, if you are interested in the slides, go there immediately when they open. The aqua areas are massive at Atlantis, so after the guide "drops you off" near the Cove pool, do not stay there. Instead, work your way to the slides that open early (one set opens an hour earlier than the other - typically the Mayan Temple). The Power Tower opens later.

Towels are provided but the chairs fill up VERY quickly, especially if other cruisers show up from other boats. Grab chairs near the slides early and form a home base - you can get lost easily especially with a large group. Have a meeting place at least a 1/2 hour prior to departure. The place is so big that you could easily have a 30 minute walk back to the drop off point at Coral Towers.

The lines for the slides at Mayan Temple are confusing. If you say you want to ride the "challenge", which are the shorter two slides where you race each other, you can probably get through the line in less than 5 minutes. But, the lines all merge and you have to ask the guides so you can make your way past all the people waiting for the long body slide through the shark tank which exits on the opposite side - the Leap of Faith. This line was 45 minutes long within an hour of opening and is a very quick drop - you also see no sharks you are flying so fast.

A slide we should have done more than once was the Serpent Slide. You are in a one or two person tube and, although slower than the body slides, you get to slow down inside the shark tank for closeups. Very cool.

We unfortunately did not have time to do the Power Tower slides - maybe next year. Also, remember to bring cash or a credit card to Atlantis - everything is expensive and your seapass card obviously will get you nowhere.

St. Thomas

We did the St. John's Champagne cat tour, and it was fantastic for all ages. We had 11 people from ages 6 to 70 and all had a marvelous time. Our captain Ryan and crew members Garin and Mickey were helpful and cheerful to a Disney-esque level, and the scenery is to die for (even though it was cloudy for most of our trip). The snorkel spot is easy - little chance of cutting one's feet on coral - and there are sting ray, colorful fish and even a few sea turtle! The only downside is the 30 minute bus ride from Charlotte Amalie to the dock, but once on the cat to St. John, all is forgotten (until you jump on the ride back).

St. Martin

We were in St. Martin on the Oasis last year and went to Pinel Island on our own - took a cab and then a short boat ride to the tiny island on the French side. There was shallow water for snorkeling, a quaint small beach and one beach bar with drinks and food. Warning - there are topless bathers on Pinel - but it was a neat experience and not as touristy as the main beaches.

This year on Allure we simply walked around Front and Back Streets, did a little shopping, and then ducked into the Holland House Beach Hotel very close to the ferry and had drinks at the very nice bar (with nice bathrooms as well). Advice - take the ferry for $7 round trip - the walk is brutal and I've run a marathon before. This is true especially if you have small kids or older family members.

Common Areas

The ship is amazing, as is the Oasis. Having also been on two Celebrity ships and the Liberty, these two ships are simply out of this world. The Central park alone is stunning, and is one of the best areas on any ship in the world IMO. The Royal Promenade is super wide and can accommodate a ton of people. The shopping, parades, etc. on the Promenade were nice.

Entertainment

Some of the shows are simply not to be missed. The water show is absolutely amazing for all ages and one of the coolest shows this side of Cirque. Kudos to RC for planning it and getting the talent to execute it. The Blue Planet show is similarly cool. Chicago and Hairspray are nice but short and are not quite Broadway caliber, but close. The Dreamwork character shows and parades were a nice touch and the smaller kids in our group loved them. The kids clubs also were well received by the smaller kids in our group. Our teens did not use the clubs, so it is hard to comment, although those groups seemed to have fun.

The only negative on the entertainment was the Disco night. We loved the disco party on the Promenade on Oasis and raved about how fun it was to others in our group who had never cruised. The singers, however, were soooo bad, soooo cheezy and even forgot their lines, that the others in the group begged off and went to bed. It was embarrassing and disappointing.

Our only other major complaint would be the smoking policy. The ship's Compass says the ship is non-smoking except on one deck and other areas on 15. However, they seem to permit (at least I was told this) smoking on oceanview balconies. Since the balconies are so close together, this can ruin the entire use of your balcony if you have a chain smoker next door (which we had). RC, PLEASE change this policy and give smokers one area to smoke in AWAY from others, and AWAY from the balconies!

On the WIFI package, I'd read where folks were getting it unlimited for one connected device at a time for $99. It was $179 on the June 23rd cruise - I bought it anyway and did get 10% off with the C&A Gold coupon, but was expecting it to be much cheaper. Also, we used the Royal Connect phones again - same as last year on the Oasis. They are spotty at best, although better than nothing. Using the location finder was almost as useful as trying to actually chat or call, as most of the time the phones did not ring when called.

Otherwise, everyone had an awesome time. We had more rain than we are accustomed to due to cruising in June (we usually cruise in March), but we had to coordinate 3 family schedules. The first time cruisers young and old in our group were blown away by the boat and the entire experience. My mother in law was in tears seeing the entire family have such an incredible time. Hope to be back next March on Allure or Oasis and Quantum in 2015!!

Edited by Wildcat Guy
Adding more

Great review. Thank you for your time and effort.

What do you mean that you tried to post it in the review section but it didn't work? It doesn't happen instantly, like posting on this board. You submit it, and then the editors review it and post it eventually.

Also, RC's smoking policy, about smoking being allowed on OV balconies, is pretty thoroughly published and posted.

Too bad that you didn't find Cruise Critic until after your cruise! It's a favorite topic of discussion here! :rolleyes:

So, welcome to Cruise Critic, too!

:)

Edited by Merion_Mom

Great concise review, thanks for sharing. As for the Freestyle coke machines, I did find 2 more machines in the Windjammer part way through the week near the entrance port side, so 4 in total, but could never manage to use the one in the Wipe Out Café as it never seemed to be open when I was in the area and out of the ones near Sorrentos, one of the 2 always seemed to be out of service which was frustrating. Personally I believe more of these machines should be provided throughout the ship.

I'm disappointed in the hike in cost of WiFi, only 6 weeks before your sailing it was $149 and I'm not sure it's worth $179 even considering the various C&A discounts available.

Great concise review, thanks for sharing. As for the Freestyle coke machines, I did find 2 more machines in the Windjammer part way through the week near the entrance port side, so 4 in total, but could never manage to use the one in the Wipe Out Café as it never seemed to be open when I was in the area and out of the ones near Sorrentos, one of the 2 always seemed to be out of service which was frustrating. Personally I believe more of these machines should be provided throughout the ship.

I'm disappointed in the hike in cost of WiFi, only 6 weeks before your sailing it was $149 and I'm not sure it's worth $179 even considering the various C&A discounts available.

Thanks. I did notice the 2 Freestyle machines near Izturi on the Port side, but did not know there were 2 others on the Starboard side. The one in WipeOut was frequently out of service because so many kids repeatedly filled up there. The 2 at Sorrento's seemed less busy than the ones at Wipeout for some reason.

I was also disappointed at the WIFI price. $99 seemed like a steal compared to the per minute packages I'd purchased on past cruises. But, I had to have WIFI to get work emails, so I was able to charge most of the cost back to my company.

Great review. Thank you for your time and effort.

What do you mean that you tried to post it in the review section but it didn't work? It doesn't happen instantly, like posting on this board. You submit it, and then the editors review it and post it eventually.

Also, RC's smoking policy, about smoking being allowed on OV balconies, is pretty thoroughly published and posted.

Too bad that you didn't find Cruise Critic until after your cruise! It's a favorite topic of discussion here! :rolleyes:

So, welcome to Cruise Critic, too!

:)

I have been on Cruise Critic for years but never posted anything. I love reading the reviews and thought it was time to give back. On posting a Member Review, I filled out the entire form but it would not "post" as there was no box to fill out the general cruise review - only boxes for the ports, etc. When I tried to post it, the form kept coming back to the part of the form for the general cruise review prompting me to fill it out - but it just wasn't there. Very strange. I tried it twice. I'm using a MAC so maybe that is the problem.

As for the smoking policy, I know the policy. I just disagree with it. Also, the Compass every day had a blurb about Allure being a "nonsmoking ship." It listed specific areas in the Compass that you could smoke. It never listed your own oceanview balcony. In any event, they should change the policy IMO and only allow smoking in areas others do not walk through and certainly not on balconies. My two cents.

Thanks for the review, we are going in nov, a group (family) of 10 ages 5-58. You had some good tips on the excursions and like you we were on the oasis last year.

My question, did you save any cruise compasses? and the teens? If so, would you post them? Thanks!

Ok, I tried to post a Member Review, but it will not work, so here goes. I tried to cover almost everything, but fire away on any questions you have. We just returned on June 30 - party of 11 - ages 6-70. Eastern Caribbean. Enjoy!

Rooms

We have stayed in 12550 and 12552 on both Allure and Oasis. The rooms are identical but the are connecting. It is nicer IMO to have two bathrooms and a larger balcony (and some privacy) than to have a larger suite for 4 people. It is also cheaper. Rooms are workable, balconies are nice size and give the impression that the cabin is larger than it is, and the beds are very comfortable (and I'm picky). The pillows could be a little more robust.

These rooms are very quiet. They are two floors down from the sundeck and you hear nothing. And, there are cabins below and above you, so no nightclub noise. The rooms are incredibly well-sealed from sound; equivalent to the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Of course, they can always be larger, especially the closets!

The small coffee table is basically just "in the way" and could be removed altogether. The minibar is useless if you have the soft drink and/or liquor packages, because cans and bottles in the fridge are not included. If you buy a water package (a case of Evian), just remove the minifridge items and replace with your purchased items.

Food

We all thought the food was much better this year on Allure than on the Oasis last year. The new menu has good variety, and some of the dishes were surprisingly great. The strip steak was a significant upgrade over the sirloin last year, in both taste, quality and portion size. Just make sure to get it medium rare or medium. Anything else and it is way too tough to eat. Our son had it almost every day. However, I ordered the Chops filet most days for $15 and it is still much more tender and flavorful. The lobsters were amazing - we all raved about them. They were large, tender and delish! Do not miss the lobsters on the second formal night (Friday). Oh, and you can get the Chops-like filet on the first formal night (Monday) free of charge. We all also ate the shrimp cocktail almost every night along with a salad AND a soup. Our waiter Prabu was fabulous. Dinner was one of the highlights of the trip.

Chop's Grille is fantastic, but with a large group this year, we chose not to visit. So, the option to upgrade to a filet for me was nice. Izturi is a favorite of mine for appetizers. I usually would be the last of my family to head to the showers before dinner, so I would grab a cocktail and head to Izturi and order some sushi to go. They would package it up for me without a sitting fee and I'd take it back to the room. We'd eat sushi almost every night on the balcony. Very cool. My wife also ordered room service cheese and fruit trays many times before dinner. A nice touch.

Johnny Rocket's was solid as always, and worth the $4 pp charge. Beware the milkshakes are not included and are $4.75 apiece. Use the coupon if you are a C&A member (2 for 1).

The Doghouse on the Boardwalk is another nice included (and quick) option, but the ice cream shop across the way should also be included (or cheaper). Hardly anyone went in there. Same with the cotton candy and popcorn next to the Carousel. That should be included as well - cheap to produce.

We did go to Rita's and it was pretty good, but not spectacular by any means. The service was attentive and the food was hot. It just seemed to be missing something.

Drink Package

We have done the soda packages in the past, as we tend to drink alot of them. I am a big Coke Zero fanatic (I don't drink coffee), so I was pumped to see the Coke Freestyle machines on the ship. There are two at Sorrento, one at the Wipeout Cafe and 2 in Windjammer. But, even with the soda package, you have to have a RC tumbler to use these machines. A regular glass does not work - the tumblers have a chip in them and you can only refill every 13 minutes or so. One bummer is if you get the Premium Alcohol Package, you do not get a tumbler, which is ridiculous. You pay $350 and cannot use the Freestyle machines, but you buy the $50 soda package alone, and you can. It makes no sense. I just used my teens' tumblers all the time and made them just order cokes in glasses (which you can also do in the Premium Alcohol Pkg). But it is ludicrous to leave out the tumblers for that price.

The spirits included (which others have listed) are numerous and top shelf in most respects. The only liquors I noticed were not included were Patron and Woodford Reserve. I'm sure there are others, but we always specified "Grey Goose' or whatever in our drinks to ensure we got the best (since we'd paid for it). There is also no Corona Light for some reason, but the beer selection otherwise was pretty decent. The drinks were a very generous pour at every bar we tried all over the ship. In fact, some drinks were even too strong.

Although no one seemed to expect an extra tip, we did tip $1 or $2 around the ship most of the time on 1 or 2 drinks. It seemed to be appreciated but not expected. Note that a few bartenders would not allow you to bring up two cards with the Premium packages and get two drinks. Most bartenders didn't care but a couple would not serve you the second drink unless they could "see" the second person.

The only downside to the Premium Package (aside from the cost) is that the wine selections are abysmal. We are big wine drinkers and have been to Napa and Sonoma several times. The St. Martin chardonnay and the reds were undrinkable (and we drink plenty of under $20 wines). Something has to be done about this. No one in our group drank wine all week other than the weak chardonnay. Most of us drink cocktails with dinner (grey goose, martinis, etc.) rather than drink wine, which was unusual.

Excursions/Ports

Nassau

With only 4 hours in Nassau, and having never been to Atlantis, we debated whether to spend over $150 pp on the Aquaventure. The price is exorbitant, but the pools and slides are substantial and frankly fantastic. With such a short excursion, if you are interested in the slides, go there immediately when they open. The aqua areas are massive at Atlantis, so after the guide "drops you off" near the Cove pool, do not stay there. Instead, work your way to the slides that open early (one set opens an hour earlier than the other - typically the Mayan Temple). The Power Tower opens later.

Towels are provided but the chairs fill up VERY quickly, especially if other cruisers show up from other boats. Grab chairs near the slides early and form a home base - you can get lost easily especially with a large group. Have a meeting place at least a 1/2 hour prior to departure. The place is so big that you could easily have a 30 minute walk back to the drop off point at Coral Towers.

The lines for the slides at Mayan Temple are confusing. If you say you want to ride the "challenge", which are the shorter two slides where you race each other, you can probably get through the line in less than 5 minutes. But, the lines all merge and you have to ask the guides so you can make your way past all the people waiting for the long body slide through the shark tank which exits on the opposite side - the Leap of Faith. This line was 45 minutes long within an hour of opening and is a very quick drop - you also see no sharks you are flying so fast.

A slide we should have done more than once was the Serpent Slide. You are in a one or two person tube and, although slower than the body slides, you get to slow down inside the shark tank for closeups. Very cool.

We unfortunately did not have time to do the Power Tower slides - maybe next year. Also, remember to bring cash or a credit card to Atlantis - everything is expensive and your seapass card obviously will get you nowhere.

St. Thomas

We did the St. John's Champagne cat tour, and it was fantastic for all ages. We had 11 people from ages 6 to 70 and all had a marvelous time. Our captain Ryan and crew members Garin and Mickey were helpful and cheerful to a Disney-esque level, and the scenery is to die for (even though it was cloudy for most of our trip). The snorkel spot is easy - little chance of cutting one's feet on coral - and there are sting ray, colorful fish and even a few sea turtle! The only downside is the 30 minute bus ride from Charlotte Amalie to the dock, but once on the cat to St. John, all is forgotten (until you jump on the ride back).

St. Martin

We were in St. Martin on the Oasis last year and went to Pinel Island on our own - took a cab and then a short boat ride to the tiny island on the French side. There was shallow water for snorkeling, a quaint small beach and one beach bar with drinks and food. Warning - there are topless bathers on Pinel - but it was a neat experience and not as touristy as the main beaches.

This year on Allure we simply walked around Front and Back Streets, did a little shopping, and then ducked into the Holland House Beach Hotel very close to the ferry and had drinks at the very nice bar (with nice bathrooms as well). Advice - take the ferry for $7 round trip - the walk is brutal and I've run a marathon before. This is true especially if you have small kids or older family members.

Common Areas

The ship is amazing, as is the Oasis. Having also been on two Celebrity ships and the Liberty, these two ships are simply out of this world. The Central park alone is stunning, and is one of the best areas on any ship in the world IMO. The Royal Promenade is super wide and can accommodate a ton of people. The shopping, parades, etc. on the Promenade were nice.

Entertainment

Some of the shows are simply not to be missed. The water show is absolutely amazing for all ages and one of the coolest shows this side of Cirque. Kudos to RC for planning it and getting the talent to execute it. The Blue Planet show is similarly cool. Chicago and Hairspray are nice but short and are not quite Broadway caliber, but close. The Dreamwork character shows and parades were a nice touch and the smaller kids in our group loved them. The kids clubs also were well received by the smaller kids in our group. Our teens did not use the clubs, so it is hard to comment, although those groups seemed to have fun.

The only negative on the entertainment was the Disco night. We loved the disco party on the Promenade on Oasis and raved about how fun it was to others in our group who had never cruised. The singers, however, were soooo bad, soooo cheezy and even forgot their lines, that the others in the group begged off and went to bed. It was embarrassing and disappointing.

Our only other major complaint would be the smoking policy. The ship's Compass says the ship is non-smoking except on one deck and other areas on 15. However, they seem to permit (at least I was told this) smoking on oceanview balconies. Since the balconies are so close together, this can ruin the entire use of your balcony if you have a chain smoker next door (which we had). RC, PLEASE change this policy and give smokers one area to smoke in AWAY from others, and AWAY from the balconies!

On the WIFI package, I'd read where folks were getting it unlimited for one connected device at a time for $99. It was $179 on the June 23rd cruise - I bought it anyway and did get 10% off with the C&A Gold coupon, but was expecting it to be much cheaper. Also, we used the Royal Connect phones again - same as last year on the Oasis. They are spotty at best, although better than nothing. Using the location finder was almost as useful as trying to actually chat or call, as most of the time the phones did not ring when called.

Otherwise, everyone had an awesome time. We had more rain than we are accustomed to due to cruising in June (we usually cruise in March), but we had to coordinate 3 family schedules. The first time cruisers young and old in our group were blown away by the boat and the entire experience. My mother in law was in tears seeing the entire family have such an incredible time. Hope to be back next March on Allure or Oasis and Quantum in 2015!!

We will be on the Allure in Feb-can't wait. Loved your review and information

How far out did you book shows-did you have any problems?

:rolleyes:We tried NCL Breakaway few weeks ago, we are so glad to be back to RC, which to us is our favorite cruise line, nomore straying for us we learned our lesson, Allure here we come but its next year I have to wait.

We booked shows I think about 2 months in advance. I booked everything but the shows and dinners, which my wife handled. I would do so asap. You can always choose not to go. And, if you are doing my time dining, you really need to coordinate the shows with the dining and leave enough time to finish dinner. They release seats I think 15 minutes prior to the show.

I should mention that we saw Chicago (very racy - be careful with young teens), Blue Planet (awesome) and Ocean Aria (twice). The latter two were must sees.

I would also watch the belly flop competition if you have kids - my son has been on 4 cruises. He is 14 and this is one of the highlights of his week!

On activities, which I failed to include at 2 am last night (tired) while writing my original write up, we did the flow rider (3rd cruise) and it is really not that hard. Start early in the week, preferably as soon as they open on the first day if interested. I'm 45 years old, in good shape and it was easy. I am even better than my two kids, who are 14 and 17. If you have vertigo or get knocked off balance easily, maybe it isn't for you. But, that being said, I tried the stand up flow rider once and only made it 7 seconds. I would NOT try that unless you have some sort of surfing experience. It could be dangerous.

The zip line is short but worth doing for fun - the rock climbing is under utilized IMO. They have 2 great walls and are very helpful in accommodating beginners. I'd definitely try it. Fun for all ages.

We also had massages at the spa. Both were very well done. The spa is nice but the robes are see through thin and very small. In one of the only bits of bad design on the Allure and Oasis, the workout classes in the fitness center are held directly above the spa rooms. So, if your timing is bad, you will hear people jumping, dropping dumbbells, etc. throughout your massage. RC has to fix this on future boats.

Edited by Wildcat Guy
More info

Thanks for the review, we are going in nov, a group (family) of 10 ages 5-58. You had some good tips on the excursions and like you we were on the oasis last year.

My question, did you save any cruise compasses? and the teens? If so, would you post them? Thanks!

We do have some of the Compasses but I do not think we saved the teen information. Are you looking for something in particular? Events, timing, shows, etc.?

:rolleyes:We tried NCL Breakaway few weeks ago, we are so glad to be back to RC, which to us is our favorite cruise line, nomore straying for us we learned our lesson, Allure here we come but its next year I have to wait.

We have only sailed Celebrity and RC and do not think we will do any other line unless we go small and upscale at some point in the future without our kids. For now, I do not see any reason to cruise elsewhere.

Iwould also like to see the general cruise compass. We cruise in Sept and the shows should open up this week to reserve so the compass would help.

Watch daily. Ours opened ay 90 days out. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review. We sailed on Allure the week after you. I totally agree with all of your comments about the ship (we did the Western itinerary so can't comment on the port info). I did not see the disco thing so can't comment on that, and my husband thought that Blue Planet was cheesy and "cruise ship" level entertainment (not meant in a good way), but I actually enjoyed it and thought the production elements were cool. We took our kids and did the 5 p.m. show, and being only 45 minutes it did not feel as though we were devoting the whole evening to the show, good or bad. That time was great for us - we did the same time for the ice show (which we liked a lot).

The beds were so comfortable and the state rooms (regular balcony) were so much nicer and more comfortable than I thought they would be. Excellent. I would not pay to upgrade to a suite on those ships unless the cost difference was minimal because I felt that the regular staterooms were just great.

Sorry about the smoking thing. Its luck of the draw and it really stinks to be next to someone smoking all of the time out there.

Good review! Still trying to convince my wife that we need a Flowrider in the back yard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Me too! Love the flow rider but guides no longer let you barrel roll. Not sure why it is safe to stand up on a board on one side and you can't even lay down on a boogie board and roll. I did it anyway as did my daughter. Oh well!ImageUploadedByForums1375183442.506702.jpg.1ff5ab1a57662f7c7cedb2f1834039a9.jpg

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

you said you were a group of 11... did the main dining room have a table for 11 ? I was told the maximum table is only 10 and we are going as 12...

The dining room table we had was really for 10 but we had some smaller kids and wedged another seat in. There were a couple of larger tables. One was right at the entrance to deck 5 when you walk in. Huge table but bad location. Ours was midway back right on deck 5 in my time area.

We are sailing Dec. 1 of this year, and I already booked our entertainment, so you might want to check earlier than 90 days. I was so excited to book, it made it seem so much more real:)

We are sailing Dec. 1 of this year, and I already booked our entertainment, so you might want to check earlier than 90 days. I was so excited to book, it made it seem so much more real:)

I agree. Go ahead and book and you can always decide not to go if you change plans. Some of the shows are only early or late in the week, so look at the full schedule.