Southampton Airport to Port and back to Airport

sandav

Could anyone advise on booking taxis. We are sailing on the Eclipse on 3rd August and returning on 17th August. Our Flybe flight from Edinburgh lands hopefully at 8.10am. What time should we book our taxi to the port given that facilities at the airport aren't that great. I know we won't be able to board until after 11am but could we drop our luggage with the porters and then just wait.

The ship returns around 5.30am and our flight is at 12.50. Again when will or should we leave the ship and when should we book our return taxi. The airport uses a company called Checker cars so I suppose we'll have to book with them. We don't mind waiting at the airport for our flight home. We're just not sure how long it will take us to get off and collect our luggage. I also wondered if Celebrity run transfers to and from Southampton airport.

Could anyone advise on booking taxis. We are sailing on the Eclipse on 3rd August and returning on 17th August. Our Flybe flight from Edinburgh lands hopefully at 8.10am. What time should we book our taxi to the port given that facilities at the airport aren't that great. I know we won't be able to board until after 11am but could we drop our luggage with the porters and then just wait.

The ship returns around 5.30am and our flight is at 12.50. Again when will or should we leave the ship and when should we book our return taxi. The airport uses a company called Checker cars so I suppose we'll have to book with them. We don't mind waiting at the airport for our flight home. We're just not sure how long it will take us to get off and collect our luggage. I also wondered if Celebrity run transfers to and from Southampton airport.

Hi. We use Adelphi Executive Hire for our transports. Try to go to the Europe Boards (British Isles/Western Europe sub forum) for more information. :):)

Hi there,

Can't help with timings. We are getting off as you get on though. Celebrity do transfers - we are flying with Flybe from Belfast to Southampton. It was included in our holiday, if you booked your air travel through Celebrity check they aren't already included. :-)

We booked our own flights so no transfers included but I was wondering if we could book transfers back to Southampton airport with Celebrity when we are on the ship.

About the times, check these two threads. We will be on the Eclipse in two weeks and booked private transportation to take us to Heathrow. We have a 12:50PM flight. BTW, Celebrity does offer transfers to the airport but they have a flight time requirement to book with them.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544272&referrerid=103257

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1692810&referrerid=103257

Hi Sandav.

Why do you need to pre-book a taxi at all? You are not pressed for time on either the outbound or return journeys. Taxis are plentiful both at the airport and port. I wouldn't bother pre-booking at all...... Southampton Airport is small but perfectly formed - it does have a taxi booking desk, and even a WH Smith and Costa! It's a very short journey (15 mins approx) from Southampton Airport to the port.

From past experience, cruise lines do offer transfers once onboard, but at extremely inflated prices (approx $35 per person one way). If memory serves, a taxi is approx £20 in total and you don't have to wait for the bus to fill up before it moves!

We have just arrived home from the Celebrity Equinox. We were required to vacate our room by 8am, and encouraged to disembark before 9am. Once your cruise is over, they can't wait to get you off so the ship can be made ready for the next influx of passengers.

For your return journey there is a taxi pick up/drop off zone just as you come out of the luggage collection area. You won't wait long for a cab.

Happy Travels!

Book your own transfer back if you are on the 12.50 flight. Have a leisurely breakfast and get off the boat after 10am. You will have plenty time to get to the airport and there is little to do at this airport.

We came off the Eclipse for the early flight to Edinburgh recently and they also put people on the bus who had an afternoon flight to Belfast. These poor people were faced with something like a 6 hour wait at the airport for their flight.

One other thing to note was we were on the 0840 flight and were sitting on the bus at 0700 waiting for it to leave the dock. The female in charge stated that we were waiting for people and that no one had an early flight. We pointed out to her that in fact we did have an early flight and she was somewhat taken aback.

Leaving the ship after 10 a.m. may not be an option. Usually they want the last passengers to leave by 10 a.m. You might be able to stretch out an extra half hour, but that should be about all you can hope for. Ask for the last possible departure time when you fill out the disembarkation forms.

Be aware that the breakfasts all close at or about 8 a.m. The pool is closed, the spa is closed, there really isn't anything to do on the ship and they will shoo you out of many of the public areas, as well as your stateroom, of course.

We used Smithtotheairport when we go in and out of Southampton, you can google them. Very good service.

Ref timing - someone advised us not to count on the ship getting in early, i.e., fog can delay ships at time, unpredictable. So we always stay one night after getting off to insure we don't have a problem.

Do believe we were off by about 8:30 am or so last time.

Archived