Aerial Tour of the Great Barrier Reef - Comments Appreciated

I found online that I could manage an Aerial tour of the GBR on our stop in Airlie Beach next year and was wondering if anyone had any experience or thoughts on this type of tour.

It's not cheap, but on the other hand it's not all that much more expensive then the ship's tour. I have not found too many positive comments with regards to the long catamaran tours the ships do out to the Reef and so I was thinking this might be an interesting option.

We will be there the begining of March, I understand that might still be in the rainy season which won't be good for either a Cat or a plane I suppose. What to do I don't want to miss the reef!

Belinda

I have not done the aerial tour of the reef that you refer to. Years ago we flew out in a sea plane then sailed back later in the day. Although the views from the plane are great, you don't see the reef.

On the other hand, we have done the day tour on Fantasea, the same one that the ships do. It is excellent. It is a long boat ride out to the pontoon on the reef, but the snorkelling/diving is great and the pontoon is interesting with large underwater windows looking onto the reef, a semi-submersible from which you can see the reef and an enormous grouper that comes for a handout.:)

I have not done the aerial tour of the reef that you refer to. Years ago we flew out in a sea plane then sailed back later in the day. Although the views from the plane are great, you don't see the reef.

On the other hand, we have done the day tour on Fantasea, the same one that the ships do. It is excellent. It is a long boat ride out to the pontoon on the reef, but the snorkelling/diving is great and the pontoon is interesting with large underwater windows looking onto the reef, a semi-submersible from which you can see the reef and an enormous grouper that comes for a handout.:)

Your comments interest me, from the pictures I saw it almost seemed like you got a better overall view of the reef. I don't see us snorkelling seeing as it's stinger season and I don't want to put a suit on just to get in the water. So my view of the reef will just be those from the large underwater windows.

Thanks for the input! It's costly and I don't want to choose wrong!

Belinda

What port are you going from. It might be worth a try.

To be honest I found the great barrier reef to be a major disappointment and a complete waste of time with nothing spectacular to see. When you have been to places like Barbados, Isla De Margarita and Curacao, the great barrier reef just doesn't take your breath away or want to make you give it a second look. The coral is all dead, no sea life, no fish, no turtles, it was just a bleak wasteland of dead brown coral.

What port are you going from. It might be worth a try.

To be honest I found the great barrier reef to be a major disappointment and a complete waste of time with nothing spectacular to see. When you have been to places like Barbados, Isla De Margarita and Curacao, the great barrier reef just doesn't take your breath away or want to make you give it a second look. The coral is all dead, no sea life, no fish, no turtles, it was just a bleak wasteland of dead brown coral.

Several parts of the Great Barrier Reef I have been to are not as you describe. I don't know what part of the reef you went to. After all, it is 2000 km long. The part of the reef where Fantasea goes (Hardy Reef) has very colourful coral and there are plenty of beautiful reef fish.

The coral and fish were colourful and interesting at Low Isles off Port Douglas (go with Reef Sprinter). I have also been to St Crispin's Reef where it was great.

Your comments interest me, from the pictures I saw it almost seemed like you got a better overall view of the reef. I don't see us snorkelling seeing as it's stinger season and I don't want to put a suit on just to get in the water. So my view of the reef will just be those from the large underwater windows.

Thanks for the input! It's costly and I don't want to choose wrong!

Belinda

Hardy Reef where Fantasea goes is a long way off the coast and I think that might mean there isn't such a problem with stingers. The tour operator might supply stinger suits. When we went they supplied wetsuits. It might be worth emailing the company and ask how they deal with this problem.

Must have been where you went because I went on a ships tour and swam with a turtle and saw so many fish and colourful coral it was absolutely beautiful I could even hear the parrot fish munching on the coral.

If anyone can find a part of the reef worth visiting then I would love for them to pay for my trip to prove it too me. Perhaps Tourism Australia needs to pay for a local to go up there.

I just felt really disappointed with the reef. Have had better times in Barbados, Isla De Margarita, Curacao, Honolulu and Apia. Even Mauritius was much better.

If anyone can find a part of the reef worth visiting then I would love for them to pay for my trip to prove it too me. Perhaps Tourism Australia needs to pay for a local to go up there.

I just felt really disappointed with the reef. Have had better times in Barbados, Isla De Margarita, Curacao, Honolulu and Apia. Even Mauritius was much better.

With all due respect to you, I wouldn't see the need to pay for our trip or to prove it to you. You have already made up your mind on this and many other things. :)

Well I didn't mean to stir things up here.

From most of the reef reviews I've read on CC it would seem they had a vision of the reef that wasn't meet. We'll be leaving on the tour from Airlie Beach and I don't have the strong desire to see the GBR my husband does. If it were up to me I'd enjoy the region and keep the money in my pocket. So many factors on enjoying this tour, if the weather isn't cooperative, if the seas are rough, if the ship takes too many of us out at the same time, if the reef is quiet(nothing to see), any of these factors take away from a visit to what I'm sure is a lovely region.

We are coming to your lovely country from Canada for 2 months, with part of our time on a cruise. Seeing the reef or not seeing the reef won't make what will no doubt be the trip of a lifetime any less exciting or memorable!

Thank you all for your comments.

Belinda

Well I didn't mean to stir things up here.

From most of the reef reviews I've read on CC it would seem they had a vision of the reef that wasn't meet. We'll be leaving on the tour from Airlie Beach and I don't have the strong desire to see the GBR my husband does. If it were up to me I'd enjoy the region and keep the money in my pocket. So many factors on enjoying this tour, if the weather isn't cooperative, if the seas are rough, if the ship takes too many of us out at the same time, if the reef is quiet(nothing to see), any of these factors take away from a visit to what I'm sure is a lovely region.

We are coming to your lovely country from Canada for 2 months, with part of our time on a cruise. Seeing the reef or not seeing the reef won't make what will no doubt be the trip of a lifetime any less exciting or memorable!

Thank you all for your comments.

Belinda

The trip to Hardy Reef from Airlie Beach goes to a large pontoon where visitors spend a few hours and lunch is served on the large catamaran. While at the pontoon people can spend as much time as they like in the water and it isn't over-crowded. People go in and out of the water, into the semi-submersible and into the underwater viewing room. We enjoyed our visit.

To give you an idea of the size of the Pontoon, it even has accommodation for guests staying overnight.

Does your cruise go to Port Douglas? If so there is a cheaper option to go with Reef Sprinter to the reef at Low Isles. The trip takes only 2 to 2.5 hours total (about 30 minutes on a jet boat to get there) and costs around $100. The trip includes snorkelling and fish feeding. It is quite different from the Hardy Reef pontoon trip from Airlie Beach.

The reefs around Hayman island are teeming with wildlife close to shore. We spent 20 minutes snorkelling alongside a giant turtle which was amazing. The reef is huge and yes there are dead areas but to say the show reef is dead is a nonsense

We were booked to do a helicopter flight on our 25th anniversary but these flights get cancelled last minute because of weather. It didn't seem a that bad but it was enough to cancel it.

Well the decision is not going to be easy or straight forward. Perhaps we'll be better off with a tour to the Pontoon and keep our fingers crossed the weather gods are smiling that day and the sun is shining.

At the end of the day we just want to be able to check this off our "Bucket" list. God willing we'll have another chance to return to Australia and we'll be sure to allot more time for this part of your country.

Funny thing is you can't see all of Canada in two months or at least not without missing a lot so I'm not sure why I'm so worried about fitting as much as I can in to my trip to your great country!

Belinda

I would not recommend the pontoon or Hardy Reef for that matter. From my photos above the reef is dead there with nothing special to see. All you will do is waste an expensive amount of money. The helicopter ride over the reef may be more spectacular than what little you would see on the water. There are too many dead areas of the reef still open to tourists that are the problem.

I would not recommend the pontoon or Hardy Reef for that matter. From my photos above the reef is dead there with nothing special to see. All you will do is waste an expensive amount of money. The helicopter ride over the reef may be more spectacular than what little you would see on the water. There are too many dead areas of the reef still open to tourists that are the problem.

Actually, your photos showed lots of live coral and fish, but the colour was off. I have had the same results with a disposable underwater camera. The problem is that to get magazine standard shots of coral etc you need a much better quality camera and lighting. Your photos do not show the colours that you would have seen with your own eye. I have dived and snorkelled at many places on the outer reef and around the Qld islands and the only dead areas I have seen are near human habitation or river effluent.

As for an aerial view, we used a seaplane which picked us up from Whitehaven where our charter boat was moored and which then took us out to Norman Reef where we snorkelled. We saw a whale shark on our return flight and even passed over the heart-shaped coral formation that appears in the tourist literature. I remember it was expensive, but a once in a lifetime thing and really worth it.

We have also used the Quicksilver catamaran to get out to the reef. I got a bit seasick, but again it was a great experience.

I am off to the Caribbean next April, so I am really looking forward to the reefs there, which the diving community still considers second to the GBR.

As for an aerial view, we used a seaplane which picked us up from Whitehaven where our charter boat was moored and which then took us out to Norman Reef where we snorkelled. We saw a whale shark on our return flight and even passed over the heart-shaped coral formation that appears in the tourist literature. I remember it was expensive, but a once in a lifetime thing and really worth it.

We have also used the Quicksilver catamaran to get out to the reef. I got a bit seasick, but again it was a great experience.

I am off to the Caribbean next April, so I am really looking forward to the reefs there, which the diving community still considers second to the GBR.

Thanks I think I'm leaning towards a combo deal I found where they fly you over, then stop for a view station, and take you to a private beach to snorkel if you want. Yes it is expensive, but the whole trip downunder is expensive!

Belinda

Thanks I think I'm leaning towards a combo deal I found where they fly you over, then stop for a view station, and take you to a private beach to snorkel if you want. Yes it is expensive, but the whole trip downunder is expensive!

Belinda

That sounds like a plan Belinda. Don't take too much notice of what Sutho says regarding our reef and just about anything actually. He likes to come on here and say the opposite to everyone else and get everyone stirred up.

We have been to the reef at Airlie and Cairns and it is lovely. Not like the Caribbean at all because it is in the ocean many miles from shore. We have been to the Caribbean 3 times (about 20 islands so far) and snorkelled at many of the islands there - including Barbados and Curacao - and true the snorkelling is wonderful, but saying that our GBR is awesome and the experience is totally different! :D

That sounds like a plan Belinda. Don't take too much notice of what Sutho says regarding our reef and just about anything actually. He likes to come on here and say the opposite to everyone else and get everyone stirred up.

We have been to the reef at Airlie and Cairns and it is lovely. Not like the Caribbean at all because it is in the ocean many miles from shore. We have been to the Caribbean 3 times (about 20 islands so far) and snorkelled at many of the islands there - including Barbados and Curacao - and true the snorkelling is wonderful' date=' but saying that our GBR is awesome and the experience is totally different! :D[/quote']

Thanks for the feedback, I have been lurking on your thread here gathering good information for the trip, I have noticed a few of Sutho's posts and he does like to incite a bit of conversation now doesn't he/she.

We get to enjoy the Caribbean often given it's not nearly as far to travel, even there you can sometimes be disappointed in what you'll find. But nothing ventured nothing gained, I wouldn't miss a moment of your beautiful contry based on just one persons views.

Belinda

Actually, your photos showed lots of live coral and fish, but the colour was off. I have had the same results with a disposable underwater camera. The problem is that to get magazine standard shots of coral etc you need a much better quality camera and lighting. Your photos do not show the colours that you would have seen with your own eye. I have dived and snorkelled at many places on the outer reef and around the Qld islands and the only dead areas I have seen are near human habitation or river effluent.

No colour is off that comes from my camera. All images are taken with the correct white balance and colour conditions in mind. The photos are exactly as I saw the reef. Dead and dull. I seriously cannot come on here and recommend and promote that area of Australia to anyone. It was a big disappointment and I cannot come on here and tell lies about my experiences. I will not hold back with the truth and what my opinions are.

No colour is off that comes from my camera. All images are taken with the correct white balance and colour conditions in mind. The photos are exactly as I saw the reef. Dead and dull. I seriously cannot come on here and recommend and promote that area of Australia to anyone. It was a big disappointment and I cannot come on here and tell lies about my experiences. I will not hold back with the truth and what my opinions are.

I was trying to show some understanding. But perhaps if Australia is such a disappointment to you, you ought to emigrate.

I was trying to show some understanding. But perhaps if Australia is such a disappointment to you, you ought to emigrate.

hmmm, perhaps not. I have so far promoted on here: Port Arthur, Richmond, Great Ocean Road, Kuranda Scenic Railway, Handorf, Hunter Valley, various areas of Sydney.

I tell the truth about all great things I visit, but will not hold back if it is a disappointment.

Hi Belinda

I have been out to the pontoons for both Fantasea and Cruise Whitsundays off of Airlie Beach.

On one of these trips we did the optional helicopter flight over the reef to Heart Reef (pic 3) which we looped in both directions at about 1000 feet allowing passengers great photo opportunities. Seeing the vastness of the reef from the air is spectacular, and for me, any time I get to ride in a helicopter is worth it.

We did the flight in a Robinson R44 helicopter and took off and returned from/to a smaller pontoon to the north of the main pontoon (just out of shot in pic 1 - but on the right of pic 4. There were options to return to the mainland in the helicopters.

Here's a couple of my pics from the day for you.

100_1970 (Medium).jpg

100_1980 (Medium).jpg

100_1989 (Medium).jpg

100_1997 (Medium).jpg

That would settle it for me. The helicopter is the way to go. It is a shame I could not enjoy the Hardy Reef area. It was not up to expectations and did not meet with the brilliant colourful coral and reefs of the Caribbean. Just this week was the barrier reef in the news again with warnings it will be pulled from a UN world heritage list due to its current poor condition. I think for tourists certain bad areas should be closed off to avoid disappointment.

Archived