What kind of binoculars?

jvalentine

My husband and I are going on our first Alaska cruise. I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations as far as binoculars go? DH will have the camera glued to his face most of the trip, but I'll need the binoculars myself. Is waterproof necessary? What about lens strength? All help appreciated!!

Thank you!

Jacquie

We have been to Alaska several times. One thing that is guaranteed in Alaska is rain. We watched whales from the cruise ship using our binoculars. The waterproofing is a must. Once water gets into the binoculars, they will form internal fogging inside the binoculars. This will make the binoculars useless. We use 8x42 waterproof binoculars.

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise. We had a Nikon 8x25 compact, and a Fujinon 12x32 Techno Stabi.

The Nikon was useless -- the angle of view was too narrow, and the image bounced around too much to get a bead on anything.

The Fujinons were amazing. Super close (even better than the camera with a 600mm lens!), super clear, and super stable. They are expensive ($750 list, but there are occasional sales -- we paid only $674 at Optics Planet). They are large and heavy, but for use on the Denali bus ride and onboard they were the best!

We got the Zen-Ray Summit 10x42 and VISTA 8x42 during our first cruise to Alaska. They have been on our must-pack list for every cruise trip. I think you can also rent one from the ship. But they are much heavier and inferior. Plus, we do not really want to put anything that has been handled by thousands of people near our eyes. As several other cruisers said, get the waterproof binoculars.

We carry the Navy One model BN29. It is the commercial version of what our troops carry. Excellent optics, especially in low light. They are 7 X 28 and small. They easily fit in your hands, not heavy so you can hold them up a long time and fit into a cargo pants pocket.

One recommendation. Make sure everyone has their own binoculars. You will not want to share watching baby bears or following a pod of orca whales!

• 2 weeks later...

One recommendation. Make sure everyone has their own binoculars. You will not want to share watching baby bears or following a pod of orca whales!

That was what were told when we bought our binoculars. oh boy, it is so true. We didn't have to fight for the binoculars when the whales were out there in the water. I wasn't exactly happy when some strangers came up to ask to borrow mine so they could take a peek.

• 1 month later...

Whatever binoculars you are going to bring, you should feel comfortable using them before you come to Alaska. Buy or borrow several types of binoculars several months prior to the trip, and take them on a hike close by, and test them out. How do they feel? How quickly can you spot something? How heavy are they holding them for several minutes likes you might in Alaska while watching for whales? You do not want to spend money and haul binoculars across the country only to find out that they are too heavy, or the field of view is too narrow, or that "they bounce around" too much.

We own two pairs of binoculars. One is a Nikon 12x50 that cost about $300 that my husband really likes. He has a steady hand. I shake a little and that makes them difficult for me to use, especially at night. In fact the shakiness wears on my eyes quite quick. These fit my husband with his glasses perfectly.

I bought myself a Canon 10 x 30 Image Stabilization. I don't "notice" much difference when pushing the stabilization button as they still shake a little, however the image is way sharper and my eyes don't get strained at all. They are a lot lighter and easier to hold for me as well. They were nearly double the cost of the Nikon new.

So... I have learned purchasing binoculars varies on personal preference and use, which may be difficult to determine until you own a pair. Some obvious things to consider are if you wear glasses and your particular uses. For use on a moving ship, at night, or if you shake; I would get image stabilized hands down.

The best advice I can give is go to a sporting store nearby and try different ones out. My big mistake was not trying them on a moving target. So make sure to look at the people moving around or cars outside, not a shelf when you do.

L.A.S.T.

Edited by Lady Anna & Sir Troy

Regardless of what you decide to buy, either buy them on the WEB with the right to return them w/o a restocking fee if you do not like them or else buy them locally. You never should buy binoculars without trying them regardless of the reviews or even if you best friend loves a specific model.

DON

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Regardless of what you decide to buy, either buy them on the WEB with the right to return them w/o a restocking fee if you do not like them or else buy them locally. You never should buy binoculars without trying them regardless of the reviews or even if you best friend loves a specific model.

DON

Agree with Don.

In general, do not buy the gift shop binoculars. They are cheaply built and will not last.

The Nikons onboard are better but are probably overpriced and you won't have a chance to try them much before you buy.

A few tips: More magnification is not always better. Stay away from the zoom models which are always in some state of optical compromise--dark, bad color balance, lack of sharpness, narrow focus, etc.

Over 10X binoculars get much darker (unless the objectives are well over 40mm), are harder to hold steady, and are tough to keep your eyes centered because of the small exit pupil (the narrow tunnel of light that gets to your eyes).

If you are trying to spot birds or whales or whatever and cannot keep your image steady, this is a lesson in frustration.

If you do go over 10 X, try a Image-Stabilized set of Canons 12x36 (not waterproofed) that are remarkable for watching far away animals. The image stabilization really let's your eyes relax and enjoy the view. These aren't too expensive and yet are great for wildlife watching while cruising.

Waterproof fog-proof is not always needed but preferred in the long run if you want to keep fogging out or need it in a small whale-watching boat where getting splashed is a possibility.

With most folks binoculars are an item that seldom gets used. Even in my case where I live on Georgia Strait and our summer sport is watching the cruise ships heading for Alaska, I have two pair hanging on the arms of chairs in our front room and yet another in my car. One of the sets is a $500+ Fujinons and there is no question they are excellent but they probably come off the chair 6 to 8 times a year. The other pairs are just good old Bushnell's. My point is, I probably am a heavy user of binoculars compared to most people....so don't mortgage the farm to purchase binoculars that are likely going to be assigned to a closet to become dust collectors after your cruise. There are lots of decent binoculars out there at or about the $100 price point that are going to do the job for you. In my mind the single most important factor in purchasing them is to stick to the marine standard for glasses and that is between 7X35 and 8X50 anything stronger than that is going exaggerate the motion of the ship, be difficult to use and may cause motion sickness. Waterproof is a nice feature but likely the way most folks are going to use them, it is not critical.

With most folks binoculars are an item that seldom gets used. Even in my case where I live on Georgia Strait and our summer sport is watching the cruise ships heading for Alaska, I have two pair hanging on the arms of chairs in our front room and yet another in my car. One of the sets is a $500+ Fujinons and there is no question they are excellent but they probably come off the chair 6 to 8 times a year. The other pairs are just good old Bushnell's. My point is, I probably am a heavy user of binoculars compared to most people....so don't mortgage the farm to purchase binoculars that are likely going to be assigned to a closet to become dust collectors after your cruise. There are lots of decent binoculars out there at or about the $100 price point that are going to do the job for you. In my mind the single most important factor in purchasing them is to stick to the marine standard for glasses and that is between 7X35 and 8X50 anything stronger than that is going exaggerate the motion of the ship, be difficult to use and may cause motion sickness. Waterproof is a nice feature but likely the way most folks are going to use them, it is not critical.

I agree that not everyone will be as optically obsessed as the group I hang out with. They are hunters and birders and generally optic nuts. ;)

As Putterdude states, if you are the occasional user, spending $500+ on this occasional hobby might not make as much sense. There are tiers of binoculars that, after a certain point, the amount you pay for compared to the gain you get is higher and higher. In other words, it's the law of diminishing returns.

Your best binocular will depend on what you need them for and what you're willing to spend. Porro Prisms, even though they are bulky and heavier give you the best bank for your buck, but they tend to focus far off.

The popular sleek Roof prism binos are getting really good and great quality is getting very affordable for under $150. I have this one that I can highly recommend: http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/atlas-optics/atlas-optics-radian-8x42-binocular which actually looked brighter, was much smaller and lighter than one that was twice the price. So good glass is easily within your reach.

They have a Zen-Ray binoculars sales this week for 15% off. There is a coupon code ZEN15. I already have several pairs of binoculars. This is my favorite.

Zen-Rays are really highly regarded by many and deserve their reputation. I have a pair of Atlas Optics Intrepid ED 10x42's that are actually twins of a Zen-Ray model. I can vouch for their terrific value and optic quality.

They also have a great warranty as well, so this should give you peace of mind.

Fantastic advice. We run into similar challenges with cameras & lenses. Last cruise we did our usual "staggered" configuration (I had the 400mm, she had the 70-200, I had the 24-70, she had the 14mm), and both of us ran into situations where the gap was a big problem. I'm now planning (or should I say dreaming) for next time in the hopes of having reasonably good coverage per-person...very thankful for rentals!

Fantastic advice. We run into similar challenges with cameras & lenses. Last cruise we did our usual "staggered" configuration (I had the 400mm, she had the 70-200, I had the 24-70, she had the 14mm), and both of us ran into situations where the gap was a big problem. I'm now planning (or should I say dreaming) for next time in the hopes of having reasonably good coverage per-person...very thankful for rentals!

I can't tell you how many times I've been excited watching/seeing a whale, brown bear, dolphin, etc. with all these other cruisers chattering excitedly and they watch with me, and there always are a few lost souls that wander up and say, rather forlornly, "I didn't bring/I don't have any binoculars." This is what they look like: --> :(

You pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to go to a place where there are vistas and wildlife and places that you are somehow trusting your bare eyes will be able to get you through?

Trust me on this: you will need binoculars when you cruise, even if it is to get a closer look at your new port, or the islands or whatever everyone else is looking at. Don't be left out and wish. They really don't cost much and they can add immeasurably to the experience!

While I always cruise with a pair of binoculars and do use them, I am not a person who stands with then stuck to my eyes or even hung around my neck all day. Having said that I live in the Northwest and see bears, whales, eagles Orcas, other wildlife and snow capped mountains on a regular basis. Are binoculars essential for an Alaska cruise...probably not particularly in these days of airline extra luggage charges, however if you have room in your luggage allowance are they nice to have, you bet they are.

I have 8 x25 pair, would these be good for my trip to Denali or would I be better off getting some 8 x 42 The 8 x 25 are much smaller and lighter and good range of vision.

8x25s, whether small roofs or reverse porros, are handy for sure. Their limitation is light. The 25mm objectives (the light gathering end) is relatively small and will dim out in the early morning or twilight. They tend also to be fussy to place on the eyes because their exit pupil (the column of light that hits your eyes) will be rather small and so your eye placement has to be more precise to see the image.

The 8x42s (or even 8x32s my favorite size) will work better in this regard but will add both weight and size to your neck. My Vortex Viper HD 8x32s are around 20 oz, probably easily double what an 8x25 would be.

But the upside is that your eyes will be more comfortable and your light (and probably what you can see) will be better (wider, brighter, etc.).

If you have a budget in mind, I could probably recommend something.

[quote name=TanTien;40731945

As Putterdude states' date=' if you are the occasional user, spending $500+ on this occasional hobby might not make as much sense. There are tiers of binoculars that, after a certain point, the amount you pay for compared to the gain you get is higher and higher. In other words, it's the law of diminishing returns.

.[/quote]

You are correct re the law of diminishing returns. That said, do not make the mistake of trying out a pair of $2000 binoculars or a $3000 spotting scope. I will never be able to justify the purchase but they are worth the money.

DON