Lock strikes announced in Germany

steamboats

Thanks so much. I'm sorry, I thought your web page was only the German rivers, I should have checked there first. On the waterlevel section, what should I be looking for in terms of a number, to see if the level is very low. 300 I assume is good but 10 would be very bad?

Avalon Waterways Update - July 17, 2013

As has been reported here, German Labor Union Verdi continues to call on its members to strike. This decision has caused some lock service disruptions in Germany.

Our operations team is in constant contact with river authorities, the union and several other sources to get up-to-date information to find out where and when strikes will take place to determine which cruises might be affected by these strikes. However, it is important to understand that the situation is fluid and largely unpredictable. In some areas, strikes could last hours; in others, they could last days.

We are offering our cruisers contingency plans if and when our ships are unable to traverse through locks. These plans may include more sightseeing than is normal by motorcoach and/or hotel stays. Whenever possible, the choice to stay on the ship or visit portions of their itinerary by land will be up to our travelers.

Our goal is always – and will continue to be – to help our travelers enjoy Europe and its beautiful villages, towns, cities and landscapes.

Thank you for your time and understanding,

Avalon Waterways

This was predictable. It say that this was "fluid" is an effort to weasle out of its obligation to the vacationing public. I never want to hear the word AVALON again. I was so looking forward to my trip from Zurich to Vienna. We did not see the scenic portion of the Danube or Melk and our little 3 hour trip to Salzburg was prefaced by a two-hour bus ride from Munich (what's that city got to do with a river cruise) and then a four hour ride to Vienna. If there is a "sell-out" cruise next year, it will not be because I booked it.

This was predictable. It say that this was "fluid" is an effort to weasle out of its obligation to the vacationing public.

I'm sorry that you had a bad cruise experience, and I understand why you feel that Avalon did not handle things well for you.

But in this case (the ongoing and unpredictable on-and-off of lock strikes), what would you like Avalon to do to honor its obligations?

This was predictable. It say that this was "fluid" is an effort to weasle out of its obligation to the vacationing public. I never want to hear the word AVALON again. I was so looking forward to my trip from Zurich to Vienna. We did not see the scenic portion of the Danube or Melk and our little 3 hour trip to Salzburg was prefaced by a two-hour bus ride from Munich (what's that city got to do with a river cruise) and then a four hour ride to Vienna. If there is a "sell-out" cruise next year, it will not be because I booked it.

My group of 5 couples is so disturbed over the events of the last two months. When purchasing a vacation one has a reasonable expectation that the product advertised will be very similar to what is provided. But now, we see that there is a great probability that this vacation will be a failure. Right now we see dire predictions of too low water levels (who would have expected that after the very recent record high water levels and floodings just a month ago) and pending lock strikes. New post this morning :

From Monday 5 August to Friday morning, 9 August, all waterways to be on strike in North Rhine-Westphalia. In Lower Saxony and Bremen locks, depots and WSV administrations are included up to Wednesday in the labor dispute. Verdi had already provided early warning of possible strikes in the affected areas, mid-week, to enable appropriate pre-planning company.

Though not affecting the Danube now, it can in the near future. So far, no recent updates from Avalon but all they can do is substitute busses for what was to be relaxing Rivercruise. Rivercruising just has too many issues that can ruin a vacation. We will probably not take a gamble (which we had no idea at the time of booking that it could be one) on this type of vacation again...back to ocean cruising for us.

On the waterlevel section, what should I be looking for in terms of a number, to see if the level is very low. 300 I assume is good but 10 would be very bad?

Judy, if you click on "unfold" you'll see the chart, change the interval from 7 days to 30 days (or last year) to see the tendency..

At the Moment Rhone and Saone are fine.

Very well worded Cruzeman; I agree; had no idea we would face so many problems; doing the Danube in Oct. with many friends with Viking. Hope things improve by then.

I also agree. What was supposed to a dream trip is now causing so much anxiety. We are going on Viking in October and worry about the strikes, the water level, world wide terror, etc! I sooooo wish I had bought the insurance policy. My husband tells me not to worry, that everything will be fine! I so hope he is right.

Curious of when in October is your cruise and what river/cruise did you decide on?

We are on Viking Idun doing Danube; leaving Oct. 19; what about you? Doing three days in Prague before and staying two day in Budapest afterwards.
We are the week before you. We are arriving in Budapest a day early and then taking the train from Nuremberg to Munich for 4 days. Our son is in the Air Force and suggested Munich based on our love of beer and history!

Not always sure I'm reading correctly or fully understanding the water level links that have been kindly posted...ie today not sure how to fully interpret the Trundstat Main station notice on bayern.de.

Would also love to have a link posted for a good long range weather forecast website..esp. one that the locals along Rhine/Main/Danube might use.

Any word on Ver.di negotiations or future plans?

My group of 5 couples is so disturbed over the events of the last two months. When purchasing a vacation one has a reasonable expectation that the product advertised will be very similar to what is provided. But now, we see that there is a great probability that this vacation will be a failure. Right now we see dire predictions of too low water levels (who would have expected that after the very recent record high water levels and floodings just a month ago) and pending lock strikes. New post this morning :

From Monday 5 August to Friday morning, 9 August, all waterways to be on strike in North Rhine-Westphalia. In Lower Saxony and Bremen locks, depots and WSV administrations are included up to Wednesday in the labor dispute. Verdi had already provided early warning of possible strikes in the affected areas, mid-week, to enable appropriate pre-planning company.

Though not affecting the Danube now, it can in the near future. So far, no recent updates from Avalon but all they can do is substitute busses for what was to be relaxing Rivercruise. Rivercruising just has too many issues that can ruin a vacation. We will probably not take a gamble (which we had no idea at the time of booking that it could be one) on this type of vacation again...back to ocean cruising for us.

My sentiments exactly. If you want a bus tour, book one up front and then you will know what you are getting. If you want to gamble, go to Las Vegas.

Too bad you are the week before us; leave the ship nice for us! Your Munich trip afterwards sounds great.

Munich was substitute. I was mile away from any stops we were expecting which meant long rides. Don't try to rationalize.

Munich was substitute. I was mile away from any stops we were expecting which meant long rides. Don't try to rationalize.

ummm... I think the comment from Burma was directed to Jimmyfan - who has booked a trip to Munich following the cruise.

This was in yesterdays news on FVW.com

STRIKES HIT RIVER CRUISES

Cruises on several canals in Germany have again been hit by strikes by lock workers this week.

Operators of canal locks have been staging a series of work stoppages in the last three weeks in protest at government plans to restructure the German inland navigation authority WSA. They fear the restructuring will lead to job losses. The latest strikes are taking place this week in North Rhine Westphalia, Lower Saxony and Bremen.

Shipping lines and cruise operators already had to organise emergency programmes in recent weeks after the previous strikes stopped vessels in their tracks. Thousands of passengers had to be transported overland in chartered coaches, additional hotel capacity had to be booked and even flights chartered.

The German Travel Association DRV and international cruise association CLIA have now called on the government and the transport union Verdi to settle the dispute before the impact worsens. DRV president Jürgen Büchy said: “For many German and foreign travellers who were looking forward to relaxing on German rivers it is a severe disappointment to be blocked by the ongoing strikes. The industry urgently needs to return to normal operations to offer customers an unrestricted holiday experience and at the same time to secure jobs for the long term.”

The German river cruise industry has already been sailing through troubled waters this year. It has had to cope with higher VAT, lower demand and, earlier this summer, the impact of massive flooding on the Danube, Elbe and other rivers.

We are headed to Budapest next week...does anyone know the latest plans for the strikes? Will they be expanding them onto the Danube again?

There is nothing on the Union website yet (last week they posted on Sunday), however even if they have a strike next week it shouldn't affect you as you start off with the locks in Slovakia and Austria and only start the German locks around Passau.

On our cruise we only found out that the strike was on when they closed the locks !!

As an aside, looking at the map that Steamboats linked to (http://www.nid.bayern.de/abfluss/karten/index.php?gknr=2&wert=&thema=&days=), the waterlevels seem to be improving.

Archived