Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Good Evening!

Just booked my first solo cruise! I'll be on the Norwegian Bliss Transatlantic from Southampton, England to Miami in February 2025. I am beyond excited! I'll be celebrating my 65th birthday in the middle of the ocean. 😉 My husband goes on hunting and fishing trips, so I decided to start going and doing too. I've traveled alone before, but never a cruise alone. I'm so happy to find out that Norwegian is offering more solo cruiser options. I booked a solo balcony for just a little bit more than the interior solo studio cabins. As I understand it, I will also have access to the studio lounge that is for solo guests. I've cruised quite a bit, but our last one was 2018, so I'm beyond ready. I'm actually leaving in 3 weeks for a week long cruise with my sister and now I have the 13 day one to look forward to next February! 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, IamAlyce said:

Anyone have experience cruising solo on Princess?

TIA, A

Yes, I traveled on the Majestic princess last May through Alaska and all the crew and officers were great and went out of their way to chat with me each time they saw me. Other travelers were also friendly and I never felt alone or awkard even in the main dining room.  I'm heading off again soon, solo on Majestic to New Zealand.

• Like 1

Going on my first solo cruise in August NCL to Bermuda from NY.  I was wondering about the SOLO studios cabins and the solo cabins you can book.  Actually, I am more interested in getting any information I could on the studio lounge that is associated with the cabins.  

Do people actually meet up there ?

Do they show up there for the happy hour and make plans for the evening together ?

Do people make plans to go on excursions together ?

This is the first time I will be cruising without other family members on board.  This sound like a very good idea, and I am curious to hear what others have experienced.  I don't mind traveling alone, but occasionally it would be nice to have someone to go to a restaurant with, so you don't get put at the worst table with a server who does not want to waste their energy on a single person. Thanks for any information.

2 minutes ago, JFGOOBIES said:

Going on my first solo cruise in August NCL to Bermuda from NY.  I was wondering about the SOLO studios cabins and the solo cabins you can book.  Actually, I am more interested in getting any information I could on the studio lounge that is associated with the cabins.  

Do people actually meet up there ?

Do they show up there for the happy hour and make plans for the evening together ?

Do people make plans to go on excursions together ?

This is the first time I will be cruising without other family members on board.  This sound like a very good idea, and I am curious to hear what others have experienced.  I don't mind traveling alone, but occasionally it would be nice to have someone to go to a restaurant with, so you don't get put at the worst table with a server who does not want to waste their energy on a single person. Thanks for any information.

I just went on a solo cruise in Feb.  There were about 20 of us solos and we ate dinner together each night.  I enjoyed it; we mostly did our own thing during the day, and then had dinner together. I did go on one excursion with others from the group.   I know others in the group did more things together and I had the opportunity to do more, but I was just looking to read and relax and see the sights during the day.  Hope this help

2 hours ago, JFGOOBIES said:

I don't mind traveling alone, but occasionally it would be nice to have someone to go to a restaurant with, so you don't get put at the worst table with a server who does not want to waste their energy on a single person. Thanks for any information.

JF 

I've traveled on two longer NCL cruises solo in Jan and Feb. I was not in solo cabins and did not attend the solo gathering. I went to restaurants alone and never found myself at worst tables or inattentive servers. 

NCL seems to appreciate solos as a market and I've been impressed so far this year with them. You should have a good time.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2024 at 1:42 PM, sunsetjewel63 said:

Yes, I traveled on the Majestic princess last May through Alaska and all the crew and officers were great and went out of their way to chat with me each time they saw me. Other travelers were also friendly and I never felt alone or awkward even in the main dining room.  I'm heading off again soon, solo on Majestic to New Zealand.

I just completed my first solo cruise on the Regal Princess out of Galveston and it was great! I'm thinking of booking the same one in 2025.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JFGOOBIES said:

Is that on the Joy?  If so, the Joy doesn’t have studios or a solo lounge, but they do have cabins reserved for solo travelers.  They’re in different categories (inside, ocean view & balcony) and will be spread all of the ship.  I have a solo inside booked for May.  If the Breakaway is back in NYC in August, that does have studios & a lounge.  I’m going on the Breakaway in October, not sure when she comes back to NYC.

• 2 weeks later...

I am booked on the NCL Getaway for November 10, 2024 as a solo in a solo inside cabin (not in the studio area). This will be my second solo cruise. Last one I found the solo group a few days in and it made a world of difference. NCL really makes sure their solo cruisers don't feel left out for the most part. 

• Like 2

Hi y'all,  I'm doing my first solo cruise on the Norwegian Sun in October, an Alaska to Hawaii cruise. Packing for this is going to be a bugger! I'm hoping you frequent solo cruisers can share some tips and tricks to get the most out of this experience...thanks!

As on any cruise with the possibility of possibly wildly varying temperatures, pack layers.  I just returned from a South American cruise around the Horn.  I packed a down filled puffer coat, thin warm under clothes and a Mylar poncho incase of cold rain.  The coat packs down quite small.  I use the 32 Below brand of thin thermals when I ride motorcycle in the winter and they seem to be warm at a reasonable price . 

I include my Columbia packable jacket on any cruise.  It packs small but is fairly warm and is a rain jacket.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Timo_Berlin said:

My first solo cruise on NCL Epic - May, 29th - 8th June. Hope there will be a lot of nice people who will also enjoy the ship

Oooh, that's soon! Where is your cruise going?

4 hours ago, Timo_Berlin said:

Mediterrain, starting Rome...Greek Islands...Italy....Rome. I am looking forward but haven´t found a lot of solos yet

I was on Epic last October and had a great time meeting other solos.

Epic has a solo lounge where many solos meet for a pre-dinner drink after which some went to dinner together. If you're not in a solo cabin, ask for your keycard to give you access to the solo lounge. Even if you can't get access go to the lounge early evening and someone will let you in ;)

Emir was the solo host. He was very good although a little too much of an organiser - I prefer to go with the flow, not be herded around the ship (JMHO and I respect some people who like to hang around in groups).

Show Emir my picture, he'll remember me as I hosted one of his events when he needed time off.

Have a great time

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Timo_Berlin said:

Thank you for ur information. Hoped to find some other solo traveller before, but neithger on FB nor here it seems that a lot solos are in these groups

FB has lots of solos groups 

17 hours ago, Timo_Berlin said:

Thank you for ur information. Hoped to find some other solo traveller before, but neithger on FB nor here it seems that a lot solos are in these groups

Go to the solo meeting the first night and you will meet people in person.  Not everyone is on CC or FB.

SOLO CRUISER NCL VIVA Feb 9-Feb 16 San Juan Southern Caribbean

This will be my 4th Solo Cruise, all have been great thus far.

Sail Away is Super Bowl Sunday and the game will be on all main TV's and on Channel 18 Main Event Channel in your Stateroom. 

You will find me on the "Vibe Deck" which is well worth the money to be off of the main deck and the Surfside Grille is connected to Vibe for easy food.  I love the layout of the Viva.  Great live music band that does all 70s-90s rock in Syd Normans Pourhouse.  I did the inaugural cruise out of Miami in Dec 2023 as a "Secret Shopper".  Looking forward to the longer cruise and not being solo for long. 😉

Edited by jimdlt19