Sanctuary for glacier viewing

Stormy

Leaving next week for northbound on the Coral followed by land portion -can't wait!

We have a balcony on the starboard side. I've read of a package that Princess offers to view the glaciers from the sanctuary. I know others go up on deck.

Do those with balconies usually view from on deck and their balcony, depending on which way the ship is facing?

Anyone who has done the sanctuary package, any thoughts on how you enjoyed it?

Thanks so much!

I've done the Sanctuary during a Panama Canal cruise and thought it was well worth the money. You have views on three sides; the only one you don't have is directly ahead. There are just a few people there so you're not fighting for a position at the railing. Part of the Sanctuary is covered so if it's raining, you'll be protected. The Sanctuary on the Coral is aft so you're also somewhat protected from the wind. And, you have nice, thick, comfortable loungers to go to when you're not sightseeing. The attendants have blankets you can use if you get cold. Afternoon tea is a must. :)

If you are willing to pay the premium, it's much better than being on a balcony.

We were on the Grand Princess in May 2013 to Glacier Bay. We had an Emerald Deck mini Suite on the Starboard side. When you go into Glacier Bay the main glacier is seen on the port side (or front of the ship) first. Our original plan was to be up on Deck for the first part and then go to our cabin when the ship starting turning (they do this to go out of the glacier area and also to give both sides of the ship almost equal viewing time). We found that we didn't go back to our cabin. We walked the deck to stay in position with the glacier. It was phenomenal and we really enjoyed it. No regrets we really enjoyed being up on deck. The crowds weren't horrible and we were by the rail most of the time.

Have a wonderful time.

Leaving next week for northbound on the Coral followed by land portion -can't wait!

We have a balcony on the starboard side. I've read of a package that Princess offers to view the glaciers from the sanctuary. I know others go up on deck.

Do those with balconies usually view from on deck and their balcony, depending on which way the ship is facing?

Anyone who has done the sanctuary package, any thoughts on how you enjoyed it?

Thanks so much!

hi Stormy

we did the Sanctuary scenic package on the Sapphire and really enjoyed it. We were in an inside cabin though...so we had to be out on a deck to view things. Therefore for us - the views, and more importantly-no crowds - made it a great time....and the unlimited mimosa's and grub...and other things like nice souvenir mugs and two 8x10 photos made the $120 a little less painless. :)

If the weather is great...having a balcony would be fine for 1/2 the time at Marjorie..and then when the captain rotates the ship I would find a spot. As Pam said the Sanctuary is covered for the most part and you wouldn't have to worry about light rain anyway. The Sanctuary made for a great relaxing day for us...nice to have comfy loungers to enjoy the views versus standing for hours trying to get an unobstructed view. Even if you don't do the Sanctuary I am sure you can find a spot on an open deck where it is less crowded.

Have a great cruise!!!

John in NC

I would certainly consider it for another reason. I would assume the stewards would still provide food services during the day, which means not losing time to the MDR or fighting for a view in Horizon Court.

I would certainly consider it for another reason. I would assume the stewards would still provide food services during the day, which means not losing time to the MDR or fighting for a view in Horizon Court.
Yes, they do.

Something else to consider: on my Panama Canal cruise, a couple from my roll call arranged to have the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast delivered there. :)

Question for Princess mavens, upcoming cruise on sapphire in a couple of weeks. Do you book the Sanctuary once on board with front desk.?

Since we are in an OV, from the previous posts, it might great sense to do Sanctuary when in Glacier Bay.

Ev

hi Stormy

we did the Sanctuary scenic package on the Sapphire and really enjoyed it. We were in an inside cabin though...so we had to be out on a deck to view things. Therefore for us - the views, and more importantly-no crowds - made it a great time....and the unlimited mimosa's and grub...and other things like nice souvenir mugs and two 8x10 photos made the $120 a little less painless. :)

If the weather is great...having a balcony would be fine for 1/2 the time at Marjorie..and then when the captain rotates the ship I would find a spot. As Pam said the Sanctuary is covered for the most part and you wouldn't have to worry about light rain anyway. The Sanctuary made for a great relaxing day for us...nice to have comfy loungers to enjoy the views versus standing for hours trying to get an unobstructed view. Even if you don't do the Sanctuary I am sure you can find a spot on an open deck where it is less crowded.

Have a great cruise!!!

John in NC

Was this price for 2 persons or a per person rate?

Thanks.

I don't bother to sit down for lunch on glacier sailing days. I just grab a burger or slice of pizza and stay on deck. I move around a lot to get the best views, so I've never considered the Sanctuary. I'd rather spend my limited funds on excursions, but if you can afford it, it might be nice to be pampered for the day.

On our early May glacier cruise out of Vancouver, we stood in the Sanctuary area for a bit and there was no one in it during the glacier viewing. We spent time on the deck and on our balcony.

Everyone on deck was accommodating to each other to take pictures and there was no problem. There was no need to pay additional money for the sanctuary.

Question for Princess mavens, upcoming cruise on sapphire in a couple of weeks. Do you book the Sanctuary once on board with front desk.?

Since we are in an OV, from the previous posts, it might great sense to do Sanctuary when in Glacier Bay.

You book the Sanctuary in the Sanctuary. The best time to get a lounger under the overhang is as shortly after boarding as you can.

Someone who hasn't booked the Sanctuary isn't allowed there. The attendants are usually very vigil about this. On my Panama Canal cruise, quite a few people walked in but were chased away. It was surprising how many thought they could and that it wasn't a big deal if they were there. :)

Something else to consider: on my Panama Canal cruise, a couple from my roll call arranged to have the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast delivered there. :)

My wife and I are the couple that Pam is referring to that arranged the UBB on the Island Princess Panama Canal cruise. I must say that this took quite a bit of "negotiation", having been told that it couldn't be served in the Sanctuary. I eventually got to speak with the Food & Beverages Manager and he admitted that he had never been asked for it to be served in the Sanctuary before, but he saw no reason that it couldn't. (I filled out a "You made the difference" appreciation card for him, as he went out of his way to accommodate us.)

Having said that, there is obviously quite a difference in temperature between Panama Canal and Alaska. DW and I were on a 14 night b2b on the Diamond Princess and booked the Sanctuary for Glacier Bay day as soon as we boarded in Vancouver to get the best choice of viewing loungers. We booked it for the first 7 day part of the return journey. It was $60 per person, and included Champagne, Mimosas, Princess coffee mugs and a souvenir photo at Margerie Glacier. As you journey up Glacier Bay early in the morning, there was a light continental breakfast available in the Sanctuary and lots of hot chocolate, coffee and teas. The stewards would bring you as many blankets as you asked for. The day we booked was actually the coolest day of the entire 14 days, and we needed 2 blankets each, plus layered clothing and gloves. A limited lunch menu was available that could be served directly, without leaving the Sanctuary. I must say, even though we were cold that day, that it was worth it for us, as we were able to get unlimited, uninterrupted views of the glaciers and could hear the onboard Park Ranger's running commentary over the PA. I could see that the crowds on the viewing deck above the Bridge one deck down were jockeying to get decent clear viewing positions to take their photos and videos. I managed to get many good photos and was in a good position to get a clear, up-close video of the glacier as it was calving.

The difference between the Sanctuary on the Diamond Princess is that it is right at the front of the ship, whereas on the Island Princess it is at the back, but as the ship spends about an hour at the glacier, and does a full 360 degree turn you will get great views wherever you are.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We had an inside for Alaska. We spent pretty much the entire time in Glacier Bay out on deck and didn't really have a problem seeing what we wanted to see. Being totally pampered in the Sanctuary might be worth it for some but, for folks like me who work for the state, it seems like an unnecessary indulgence.

I will be on Island with my mom and this sounds like a wonderful indulgence for the day - and will allow her to sit down and rest without losing her views. Just for clarification, do you have to book the Sanctuary for the entire week to get this or can you just book your loungers for the day?

You can just book it for that one day, but I recommend heading straight to the Sanctuary as soon as you board to get your best choice if location. The Island has a different layout than the Diamond, with not as many loungers at the perimeter and is smaller. The Island has an upper and lower level.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On our early May glacier cruise out of Vancouver, we stood in the Sanctuary area for a bit and there was no one in it during the glacier viewing. We spent time on the deck and on our balcony.

Everyone on deck was accommodating to each other to take pictures and there was no problem. There was no need to pay additional money for the sanctuary.

I am just off the Island Princess and completely agree that the Sanctuary was completely unnecessary for comfortable, uncrowded viewing of the glacier(s).

You don't want to stay on your balcony for any scenic trip or port arrival. You'll miss too much of the entire view.

When we looked on warmer sea days, we saw no one in the sanctuary area on our Norway fjord cruise. In fact heard lots of folks grumbling that the cabanas just ruined the views for the passengers wanting to take in a 360 view from that deck.

It is a personal choice as to whether the money spent is worth it. You can get great views and you will want to roam all the outside decks for different picture shots. We wouldn't feel it a good investment.

Have a great time.

Anyone able to comment on the Sanctuary on Star Princess while going through Tracy Arm? Is it a good place to take pictures? My binoculars are waterproof but my camera is not. A covered area sounds like a good idea. Again ...when you want it only for that one day... do you book it on the first day once you board or early in the morning the day you want to use it?

Unrelated to the sanctuary, but if you have a DSLR look at getting a storm shield or similar product. They are about 15 bucks and fold into a little pouch..

Anyone able to comment on the Sanctuary on Star Princess while going through Tracy Arm? Is it a good place to take pictures? My binoculars are waterproof but my camera is not. A covered area sounds like a good idea. Again ...when you want it only for that one day... do you book it on the first day once you board or early in the morning the day you want to use it?