Oasis review Western Caribbean June 8-15, 2013

I'm a very long time lurker and if it wasn't for the CC forums, I would have been lost planning my cruise vacations so THANK YOU CC members! I thought I would pay it forward by writing a review with hopefully some helpful information for the other lurkers out there starving for every little detail they can find in hopes of making your vacation the best one yet.

I'm 44 and I traveled with my husband (51) and our daughter (12). We flew into Ft. Lauderdale the day before and stayed at the Hyatt Place 17th St. Convention Center. Everyone there was very nice and helpful and it was more then enough for us for a 1 night stay. Unfortunately, it was raining when we arrived and really didn't let up until the next morning which was perfect timing of course. I will say the shuttle driver at the Hyatt Place was so accommodating and helpful. He drove us around to dinner then to Publix and the Wine Store and finally to the shops by the beach as my daughter was looking for a particular "Lifeguard" sweatshirt and he felt confident she would find it there. She did by the way. He then drove us back to the hotel. It was all at no charge but we tipped him of course. Surprisingly, at the hotel we ran into a family from our home town also going on the Oasis. The odds of this are pretty slim as we are from a small town in Indiana so it was a nice surprise. The hotel was mostly booked by a convention in town and the attendees were all nurses there for a conference on infection control. This turned out in our favor because nurses make great hotel guests. They're quiet and they don't stay up at all hours of the night. :D

As I mentioned the rain stopped in time for our embarkation on Saturday morning which was perfect. Our daughter being as eager as she was promptly told the front desk we wanted to go on the 10:30 am shuttle. Of course we didn't argue as we were just as eager to start our long awaited vacation. I booked it in April of 2012 so this was at least 13 months in the making. We ended up the only ones on the 10:30 am shuttle which made it nice. The port terminal was awesome. Check in was a breeze and we had fun with the pre-boarding pics they took of us. I will say ever since we booked a suite on FOS we are completely addicted to suites. Call us spoiled I guess but it really does make the vacation if you can swing it. You get the red carpet treatment from the minute you get to the terminal until you leave the terminal. Even at some of the ports they have suite guests lines for getting back on the ship so you don't have to wait.

We originally booked the grand suite and then decided to move up to the owner's suite. About 3 days before our cruise the C&A rep called me and offered to upgrade us to the Crown Loft Suite. I didn't agree to it right away as I wanted to think it through with my husband and daugher. It took us all of 10 minutes to decide and OF COURSE we took the upgrade. Some of the concerns I had was that it was on the top deck and my daughter would be able to feel any rocking (if there was any) more up there than on deck 11 where we were originally booked and the balcony is smaller. The upside for my husband was the 2nd bathroom. Living with 2 females, I can't say that I blame him for wanting his own bathroom space. :p The other upside is the private entrance. I loved the idea that you had to have a designated seapass to access the loft suites area. Well, my concerns were unwarranted and all was well. The view was absolutely amazing and we couldn't have asked for a quieter or more beautiful suite. The balcony was more than big enough as well.

A couple of items to note, I brought the small belkin powerstrip I saw on this forum and I also brought a mini flat iron and didn't have any problem getting through security with either item. We also brought our laptop and my daughter brought her ipad. We purchased a package of minutes but be warned that when using 2 devices it eats up the minutes double time.

After reading reviews about the Windjammer, I decided we would grab lunch in the CL. It was a very limited menu however. I found out after the fact that suite guests can eat in the sushi restaurant located next to the Windjammer on embarkation day so you don't have to deal with finding a table. Live and learn I guess. They offered this on FOS but I couldn't find any information on the forums about whether or not they offered this on Oasis. I should have taken a chance and checked it out but oh well. We explored a bit and then headed back to the room. We didn't have to wait long for our luggage to show up which was very nice.

We did not take advantage of any of the specialty restaurants as we aren't picky eaters and the MDR more than met our needs. We did MTD and it worked out perfectly for us. We requested the same wait staff each night and they truly went above and beyond. The other upside of having a suite is after I polished off my 2 bottles of wine (over the course of about 2 days :o) I was able to get my complimentary glasses of wine from the CL when needed before and after dinner. I know there has been some debate on whether or not you can take a drink with you out of the CL. Yes, they have a sign asking you not to but I was never stopped and honestly, with as much as we paid for being in a suite I think I would be a little disappointed if they did stop me. Regardless, we did it on FOS and on Oasis and didn't have a problem.

One of the main reasons we enjoy sailing on RCCL is the entertainment. It's something my daughter always looks foward to and we weren't disappointed at all. We went to all the shows and then some, except for the comedy show. Top notch entertainment for a top notch cruise line. Of course, being the planner that I am, I booked our shows as soon as I was able to online so no issues there in getting the showtimes we wanted.

My daughter and I did the zip line. It's short and sweet which is just fine with me. It also gave my daughter a chance to warm up for the zip line she and her dad were going to do in Labadee. We didn't have a chance to do the climing wall or flow rider. We also signed up for the All Access Tour on the last sea day and I have to say it was VERY well worth it! You get to see pretty much everything that goes on in the background. It truly is a well run machine in so many ways.

Labadee: This has become a favorite port for us. This was our 2nd time and again, we booked a cabana on barefoot beach through the concierge. I emailed them at 1 month then 2 weeks out. I received a polite email stating that they can't book the cabana until a week prior but that they had made note of my request. Exactly 1 week prior I received an email stating that the cabana I requested was available. Happy days! I hung out there while my husband and daughter did the zip line. The lunch menu for suite guests is also different and well worth it as it includes shrimp, chicken and several yummy menu items that we enjoy. We also visted the market place which they have expaned since we were last there in 2010. We headed back to the ship around 3 pm.

Jamaica: We definitely prefer Falmouth over the last Jamaican port we went to on FOS. The shopping plaza is very nice and clean and you aren't hasseled. However, outside of this area you will be hasseled. I booked an excursion directly with Jaital tours to do river tubing. We absolutely loved it. However, we had some problems finding the driver when we first got off the ship. Once we located him it was smooth sailing from there. Our river guide was absolutely awesome he took very good care of us. I highly recommend this excursion.

Cozumel: We went to Chankanaab park. My daughter and I did the manatee swim and she did the royal dolphin swim with her dad. We spent the whole day there. I did some snorkeling as well and the fish were right there and easy to see which was nice. We thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

I think the only downside for me on this ship was the fitness facility and the fact they don't stop at Grand Cayman. The fitness facility is not as big as FOS and since it's not surrounded by wall to wall windows like FOS it makes it feel even smaller. We are fitness fanatics so we always work out on vacation. If it wasn't for our workout clothes we could probably downsize to smaller suit cases but that will never happen.:p We also really like Grand Cayman but from my understanding the ship is too big for that port.

Overall, I give this ship 2 thumbs up. We loved it so much we booked the Allure for next year, same cabin. :D We are celebrating our 20th anniversary in 2015 so I'm already researching QOS and will be booking on her for June 2015. :) We can't help ourselves...we are addicted to cruising on RCCL!

Wonderful to hear, after experiencing the brand new NCL Breakaway (yes we strayed but wanted to check out this ship) which had an abundant of negatives, we immediately booked the Allure of the Seas next year! We are so happy to be back to RC and know that RC is our favorite cruise line and is the best to us.

Glad you had a wonderful time now we have too many days to count down for the Allure. :D

Me also and letting others know our experiences to help them. I just wished I waited longer to go on the Breakaway to hear the reviews I would never gone but its not that I am sorry. I did experience it for myself so I know for myself. ;)

When are you going on the Allure?

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise and the upgrade to the CL suite! It's too bad you didn't join our Roll Call, because we had a very lively crew and would've loved to have seen you at the Meet & Mingle. We also enjoyed the dolphin swim, although I was a bit concerned that they still had us in the water while a thunderstorm was rolling in. Nevertheless, we all had a great time, didn't we?

What a nice review! We too are spoiled by grand suites (FOS is great) We had one on the OOS last year and they are noticeably smaller. So next year we booked CL 1752. On a whim I checked for an ATS and 9730 was open. So we changed rooms (now I wonder if we made a mistake :o) I hope to get to cruise in a CL someday. Thanks again for the review.Happy Cruising

Thanks for the positive feedback! The other suite perk we really enjoyed was the luggage valet. That made our trip back home soooo much nicer for sure! I'll definitely have to make sure I join the roll call for our cruise next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Hello, Sheryl sounds like a blast. I had a question about the hotel shuttle driver, they took you on a shopping trip, was that on the way from the airport or is this type of trip at another time? What was the charge? I am interested in a hotel that is either near a store or can take a short shopping trip. Thanks.

Hello, Sheryl sounds like a blast. I had a question about the hotel shuttle driver, they took you on a shopping trip, was that on the way from the airport or is this type of trip at another time? What was the charge? I am interested in a hotel that is either near a store or can take a short shopping trip. Thanks.

The shuttle driver took us to dinner, Publix and then the beach shops all in between his trips back and forth to the airport to pick up other hotel guests. Whenever we were done, we just called the hotel and then he would show up. We never really had to wait more than 10 minutes each time. There was no charge for this service but we did tip him as he provided a great service. Both the Hyatt Place and the Embassy Suites are next to the shopping center where Publix is located. There are also restaurants located in the same area. It's only about 1 block to walk but it was raining heavily so we went with the shuttle.

Labadee: This has become a favorite port for us. This was our 2nd time and again, we booked a cabana on barefoot beach through the concierge. I emailed them at 1 month then 2 weeks out. I received a polite email stating that they can't book the cabana until a week prior but that they had made note of my request. Exactly 1 week prior I received an email stating that the cabana I requested was available. Happy days! I hung out there while my husband and daughter did the zip line. The lunch menu for suite guests is also different and well worth it as it includes shrimp, chicken and several yummy menu items that we enjoy. We also visted the market place which they have expaned since we were last there in 2010. We headed back to the ship around 3 pm.

Sheryl - What cabana did you request? Do you have any pictures of the view?

I'm taking my 12 year old daughter on the oasis in two weeks. Thanks for your review. I was wondering about the onboard activities. Did your children spend any time in the kids program or the game room? I can't find much information on it. Thanks

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
What a nice review! We too are spoiled by grand suites (FOS is great) We had one on the OOS last year and they are noticeably smaller. So next year we booked CL 1752. On a whim I checked for an ATS and 9730 was open. So we changed rooms (now I wonder if we made a mistake :o) I hope to get to cruise in a CL someday. Thanks again for the review.Happy Cruising

Great review. Does any one have a copy of the daily compass that they could post so I can get an idea of what all happens on a day on the Oasis. Thanks..Gwen

I saved my compasses so I will scan and post in the next day or so. However I'm sure if you do a search someone may have a recent one already posted.

Sheryl - What cabana did you request? Do you have any pictures of the view?

I requested cabana B1 or B2. They are both waterfront. I prefer them over the hilltop or over the water cabanas because you have quick access to the beach without having to go up/down stairs. I will check my pics and post one of the view but in my opinion all the cabanas have great views except for maybe the ones that sit further back closer to the entrance.

I'm taking my 12 year old daughter on the oasis in two weeks. Thanks for your review. I was wondering about the onboard activities. Did your children spend any time in the kids program or the game room? I can't find much information on it. Thanks

my daughter didn't participate in any of the adventure ocean programs but a friend of mine went on the same cruise 2 weeks later. She has a daughter the same age and an older son and they both LOVED the teen program. I forget the name of the room in which they meet but you should encourage her to go the first night. According to my friend that's where they play a few games, meet & mingle to get to know each other. I've also read that even those who weren't traveling with another sibling or friend made friends but it's key to go the first night. As I'm sure you know, cliques form quickly and my guess is if you don't go the first night you may miss the boat so to speak. I'm definitely going to encourage my daughter to go next year.

One more thing I forgot to mention. When you meet your stateroom attendent let him know your daughter's age. They actually have separate daily compasses for the teens with all the activities planned for their group. It's really nice that they offer that.

. Surprisingly, at the hotel we ran into a family from our home town also going on the Oasis. The odds of this are pretty slim as we are from a small town in Indiana so it was a nice surprise.

I'm from Avon as well!

Archived