Maxi dresses for the vertically challenged???

Froufie

Well, I ordered a new skirt today.....yes, it is a long skirt;) it is longer in the picture LOL.....I ordered it an Petite, XL....I am on the shorter side but not thin.......

This is a picture of it....I am a BIG PURPLE girl:D and I have the perfect top for it........lets hope the skirt fits.

Purple is one of my favorites, too. I like the skirt and it looks perfect for a cruise. Hope it works for you!

I'm also pretty short (4'11") and I'm not skinny, but not obese... let's leave it at that...but I found a great seamstress and I can bring her a dress that "sort of" fits me...long or shorter....and she can tell me if she can work with it to make it fit me correctly. Sometimes she'll tell me to just return it :) With the longer dresses, she can hem it and then sometimes she can do something with the pieces she cut off ....once she made me a cute little shrug to wear with the dress (maybe a good idea for those who don't want a sleeveless dress). It's not cheap, but I feel GREAT in a dress that actually fits me correctly and I think it makes me look slimmer to have on clothes that fit well. Anyhow, maybe you can consider taking one of the dresses that are just so-so to a seamstress and seeing what she can do with it.

Old navy has a bunch right now that are empire waist. I would go with shorter rather than long for your height.

I'm a fluffy Girl as well, and lived in these dresses (see link below) on my past two cruises... Th best part is they launder easily to be worn over and over and you can put a swim suit under, or dress them up for dinner each night.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/soprano-plus-size-dress-short-sleeve-ruched-gathered-empire?ID=662121&CategoryID=37038&LinkType=#fn=DRESS_LENGTH%3DKnee%20Length%26DRESS_OCCASION%3DCasual%26sp%3D2%26spc%3D168%26ruleId%3D65%26slotId%3D50

Kari

Old navy has a bunch right now that are empire waist. I would go with shorter rather than long for your height.

I'm a fluffy Girl as well, and lived in these dresses (see link below) on my past two cruises... Th best part is they launder easily to be worn over and over and you can put a swim suit under, or dress them up for dinner each night.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/soprano-plus-size-dress-short-sleeve-ruched-gathered-empire?ID=662121&CategoryID=37038&LinkType=#fn=DRESS_LENGTH%3DKnee%20Length%26DRESS_OCCASION%3DCasual%26sp%3D2%26spc%3D168%26ruleId%3D65%26slotId%3D50

Kari

I love that dress and the colors are great. I may need to get one before the sale ends tonight.

Well, I ordered a new skirt today.....yes, it is a long skirt;) it is longer in the picture LOL.....I ordered it an Petite, XL....I am on the shorter side but not thin.......

This is a picture of it....I am a BIG PURPLE girl:D and I have the perfect top for it........lets hope the skirt fits.

a234498_520.201?rgn=0,0,1000,889&scl=1.8834745762711864&fmt=jpeg&id=2qvuB30ST87gcx0owusGqJ

Got my skirt today......as pretty as the photo is? It is even

prettier in person:D:)...fits well too and has a really nice hand

to it.....it is a knit...very soft and it is definitely going on my

upcoming cruise:D

So glad it is working out for you, Lois. Now we will wait until you return from your cruise to see pics. You always look like you are having such a great time.

Thank you:) that is probably because I am:D;)

Froufie,

I'm right there with you girl, similar issues!

I have resigned myself to the fact that I look best in flowy chiffon palazzo wide legged pants and a beaded top and wrap with strappy low heeled blingy sandals.

I want to try to find a dress, but especially since I cannot wear very high heels due to balance issues, I have been reluctant to go the dress route.

I like some of these styles for our "issues" and I guess the key is to find one that handles those issues and that could be hemmed easily.

I keep thinking that a medium weight drapey fabric with elbow or 3/4 sleeves with a nice V neckline *which elongates the neck* that has some sort of wrap or empire or other feature at waist that will flatter. Even a simple black could be dressed up with sparkly brooch, wrap, etc.

Debbie

Debbie - I am about 5'4 1/2 and generally live in Maxi dresses. You need to come over and see if you want to borrow any for your cruise.

Jessica London's dresses are great - wear well and most washable. They tend not to be TOO long either. I am about a size 14 but large on top and their clothes and dresses seem to fit me well and they have a large selection. They are having a huge sale now on their summer stuff so if you are going to cruise to w warm weather place great place to pick up some bargains

Sharon

Anyone watch The Chew today? Clinton Kelly answered a question about short people wearing maxi dresses. He said that short people (or plus size) need to create an illusion that they are taller. You could do that by wearing wedges (which of course actually make you taller). He also said that wearing a V-neck maxi makes you look taller (elongates the neck) or wearing a higher than normal waist dress helps to elongate the body.

All excellent points and ones which I would follow - still on the hunt - have found only a 'few' possibly suitable styles - but to be quite honest they fabric/patterns were quite UGLY and nothing I would choose to wear....so I continue to look around!

Found a great Maxi for $20 ... beautiful teal colour (more vibrant than picture) and flows nicely over my fluffy curves :-) (not me in the pic lol):)

x_large

Love this dress. Looks like you could accessorize it and do a lot with it.

All excellent points and ones which I would follow - still on the hunt - have found only a 'few' possibly suitable styles - but to be quite honest they fabric/patterns were quite UGLY and nothing I would choose to wear....so I continue to look around!

I was looking at some in Macy's the other day and thought the same thing. Large patterns and garish colors. I really like the one cat in cda found. Why don't they make more solid color maxis?

• 3 weeks later...

I am 5 foot 4 and a half. I am a little overweight, and I absolutely hate my arms.

I have always suffered with the heat in the summer by insisting on wearing blouses and blazers to cover them up.

However this year I decided to get over my insecurities about showing my arms, and I now have 6 maxi dresses.

I love them.

They are so comfortable and all I have to do is put on a pair of flat sparkly sandals and I am ready to go out.

It has taken a long time to find styles that work for me.

Mine are all jersey material, and are very easy to pack.

I am 5 foot 4 and a half. I am a little overweight, and I absolutely hate my arms.

I have always suffered with the heat in the summer by insisting on wearing blouses and blazers to cover them up.

However this year I decided to get over my insecurities about showing my arms, and I now have 6 maxi dresses.

I love them.

They are so comfortable and all I have to do is put on a pair of flat sparkly sandals and I am ready to go out.

It has taken a long time to find styles that work for me.

Mine are all jersey material, and are very easy to pack.

--------------------

You could always have some light weight poncho's made up in beautiful prints .... I had some made up for $20 each in various light weight materials and various prints as my dresses ar mostly solid colours ... I burn easily so it helps with that to not wear so much sun screen and you do not get hot as the breeze can float though the poncho's ... I think I have 7 poncho's of all various patterns and colours ... .. mostly people think of poncho's as heavy material but really they can also be quite gauzy and still cover what you want to cover ..... also the ones I found in the store always had the sides sewn in near the waist and I did not want this so I just had them made up to be floaty and loose :)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-New-Paisley-Womens-Kaftan-Tunic-Scarf-Tops-Blouses-Dress-Wing-Beach-Cover-Up-/251318252993?pt=US_CSA_WC_Dresses&hash=item3a83bc35c1

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-Zebra-Womens-Caftan-Kaftan-Tunic-Scarf-Tops-Blouses-Dress-Wing-Beach-Cover-/261264266062?pt=US_CSA_WC_Dresses&hash=item3cd490534e

Archived