Brooklyn

Having been in Manhattan a few times, along with the Bronx to visit the great zoo, and of course both the old and new Yankee Stadium, I confess to have never explored Brooklyn, unless one includes a there-and back walk I had across the famous Bridge.

My upcoming cruise will be aboard the Emerald, Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale.

Walking is a favorite activity of mine, and I see that getting to the subway station on Carroll Street from the Brooklyn Terminal souldn't present any problems, but are there any neighborhoods further afield worth examining, or would you suggest the short ride instead into Manhattan ?

Having been in Manhattan a few times, along with the Bronx to visit the great zoo, and of course both the old and new Yankee Stadium, I confess to have never explored Brooklyn, unless one includes a there-and back walk I had across the famous Bridge.

Walking is a favorite activity of mine, and I see that getting to the subway station on Carroll Street from the Brooklyn Terminal souldn't present any problems, but are there any neighborhoods further afield worth examining, or would you suggest the short ride instead into Manhattan ?

The neighboorhood around the pier is not the best in the world. There is the Brooklyn museum, Coney island, Peter Luger's steak house, etc.;)

pax et bonum,

Kevin

The neighboorhood around the pier is not the best in the world. There is the Brooklyn museum, Coney island, Peter Luger's steak house, etc.;)

pax et bonum,

Kevin

The neighborhoods of Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope can also be interesting.

On the walk from the Carroll Street subway station ... there's quite a bit of road construction/rehabilitation along the way currently. Could make the walk a bit of a challenge. Also, beware of crossing Hamilton Avenue; with the traffic there you could be taking your life into your own hands!

I have done that repo cruise and the ship docks in Manhattan for the day not Brooklyn.

I recommend the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. The indoor temperature controlled gardens are amazing, desert, tropical, bonsai, etc. Prospect Park in Brooklyn is great too. I would just grab a cab rather than use the subway.

I have done that repo cruise and the ship docks in Manhattan for the day not Brooklyn.

If you're on the Emerald Oct. 26th sailing, it docks in Brooklyn. Unless the port schedule online makes a change, it shows Emerald in Brooklyn. I wish it was docking in Manhattan.

The itinerary does state that Brooklyn is the port of arrival for NYC on that particular cruise.

The construction on the way towards the subway station does appear to be challenging.

The indoor botanical garden sounds interesting...perhaps similar to the one I saw in north Chicago, adjacent to the free zoo.

Thanks for your ideas.

You might want to check out the roll call for this cruise.

The neighborhoods of Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope can also be interesting.

On the walk from the Carroll Street subway station ... there's quite a bit of road construction/rehabilitation along the way currently. Could make the walk a bit of a challenge. Also, beware of crossing Hamilton Avenue; with the traffic there you could be taking your life into your own hands!

Google suggests walking north along Imlay Street to Summit Street -- that way you avoid the widest/busiest parts of Hamilton Avenue. Then just follow Summit Street and use the overpass over the BQE. Continue on 1st Place and it takes you pretty much directly to the station.

With that said, I don't know Brooklyn particularly, so somebody should probably sanity-check that.

Google suggests walking north along Imlay Street to Summit Street -- that way you avoid the widest/busiest parts of Hamilton Avenue. Then just follow Summit Street and use the overpass over the BQE. Continue on 1st Place and it takes you pretty much directly to the station.

With that said, I don't know Brooklyn particularly, so somebody should probably sanity-check that.

Those instructions are correct. However, that's precisely where the street construction is underway (Van Brunt Street and Hamilton Avenue).

The best way to clear Hamilton Avenue right now is to use the B61 bus, which stops near Bowne Street on Van Brunt Street, just outside the cruise terminal. This can take you to the subway at Smith/9th Streets or Jay Street/Boro Hall (downtown Brooklyn). A taxi is an alternative; however, you may wait a while!

Archived