Newbie to Carnival seeking cabin selection tips

kate3

Newbie to Carnival is about to make reservation on a 8-night cruise to Bahamas departing from NYC in December.

Want to have a ocean view room and find they are on deck 1 and deck 2. There is dining room n lobby on deck 3 and wonder if it's noisy one floor down.

My DH and I want to have a quiet room and a clear view from the window.

Please advice if it's better to book a cabin on deck 1 or 2. Also, anyone knows if there are any rooms with obstructed view on these two decks? N how to tell from their deck plan?

For the layout of the room, just wonder if we can sit by the picture window and enjoy a cup of coffee, are there any rooms with the couch by the window?

Thanks!

You should definitely be aware of what is above you if you book deck 2. The theater would only be an issue (possibly) if you go to sleep before 11:30. After that, it's as quiet as can be. The lobby & dining rooms are no problem at all. Any possible noise from the lobby would only be during the day. Not enough traffic at night to cause a problem. The dining rooms are carpeted & empty overnight, so any rooms under those are perfect. The big issue is the galley (aka, kitchen). Do not book a room under the galley. That's where they cook & clean, and it can go all night long. Plenty of complaints from people in a room under the galley. That is between the midship & aft elevators. My spot of choice would be on deck 2 between the midship & forward elevators, under the forward dining room. The forward elevators also have the glass elevators, totaling 10. There's never much of a wait there, except after shows, before dining time, and when getting off or back on the ship. That's why it's nice being on deck 1 or 2. Only 1 or 2 flights of stairs to climb/descend when the elevators are busiest.

Deck 1 won't have the glass elevators there, as they stop at deck 2. But it's still a good deck. I'm booked on deck 1 for my next Dream cruise. We have a porthole room (category PT). Almost as big as an oceanview, 2 portholes instead of a window, but they are the same price as the cheapest standard interior.

I don't think any of them have the couch by the window. As far as obstructions, there are some obstructed oceanview rooms. I'm assuming that you're looking at the Splendor. On that ship, the obstructed rooms are 2446 & 2449. They are near the aft of the ship.

We were in 2289 last November. Never heard a sound from above. Every once in a while we heard hallway noise.

In our cabin the couch was along the sidewall. The bed was parrallel to the window. Had just enough room between the bed and windowwall to get into bed.

At the back on deck 2 there are several odd shaped rooms. The pix I have seen show couches near the windows. These are under the aft MDR. When Splendor was in California that MDR was used for all three meals. Doubt much will be heard as most of the cabin will be under tables and carpeting.

To find Obstructed View cabins go to the deck plans and click on a cabin. It will pop up.

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-splendor.aspx

Another trick to getting a quiet cabin is to make sure that it doesn't connect to another.

Take a look at cabin number 2470 and 2473. These cabins are in the very aft of the ship and are much larger than the normal ones, they have 2 large windows each and a sofa, tons of room to walk around inside, we have them booked for our cruise in Jan.

2462 and 2465 are sideways cabins, they will have 2 large windows but NO couch. Bed will be facing the windows. The aft dinninf room is just above and is carpeted. There will be no noise there in the night at all.

Take a look at cabin number 2470 and 2473. These cabins are in the very aft of the ship and are much larger than the normal ones, they have 2 large windows each and a sofa, tons of room to walk around inside, we have them booked for our cruise in Jan.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b215/cmcsharon/DSC03206a.jpg

will experience noise and shuddering especially when entering or leaving a port

the windows in the regular oceanview cabins sit next to the bed- (i dont think you will be able to sit and enjoy coffee with your view

Have you looked at the cabins across the front of the ship.

(great escape to get out of the cabin too)

being on deck 2 under the dining room is good- its carpeted so no noise issue. Do not take a cabin under the galley

Newbie to Carnival is about to make reservation on a 8-night cruise to Bahamas departing from NYC in December.

Want to have a ocean view room and find they are on deck 1 and deck 2. There is dining room n lobby on deck 3 and wonder if it's noisy one floor down.

My DH and I want to have a quiet room and a clear view from the window.

Please advice if it's better to book a cabin on deck 1 or 2. Also, anyone knows if there are any rooms with obstructed view on these two decks? N how to tell from their deck plan?

For the layout of the room, just wonder if we can sit by the picture window and enjoy a cup of coffee, are there any rooms with the couch by the window?

Thanks!

For the extra $229 I would get a balcony on the upper Deck. It is much nicer sitting on your balcony drinking coffee than sitting in a cabin looking out a window. It is also very romantic sitting on the balcony at night drinking a glass off wine or a cocktail holding on to your sweetie before going to bed.

Oops, I just realized you are sailing out of NYC in December:eek:. It might not be worth the extra money. I would still do it though, but that's me.:)

If you're serious about cabin selection

you need to get serious about Deck Plans.

Bestest, biggest, most-easily-viewed deck plans I've come across so far

are to be found at a website called cruisecheap dot com

Start here at

http://www.cruisecheap.com/ships/all-cruise-ships.html

where all ships are listed.

When you find Your Ship,

click on the View link in the far right column (that's the deck plan column).

You'll see. :)

Not sure about the difference between the 2 decks, but I will say that I try to avoid cabins right next to a steward's closet (marked on deck plans by an empty space) and right next to the elevators. Many people say they've stayed next to these without any problems, but DH and I have stayed next to both before and have concluded they're noisier than other cabins. While the steward isn't excessively loud going in/out of closet, they can sometimes go in/out several times in a short amount of time late at night or early in the morning, which we found annoying. As for staying really close to the elevators, we could hear the elevator dinging at all hours of the day (forget napping during the day in your cabin) and night and the voices of the people getting on/off them. We always try to stay at least 4 or 5 cabins away from the elevators and a couple away from the stewards' closets. Good luck and best cruising!

.. I try to avoid cabins right next to a steward's closet (marked on deck plans by an empty space)

and right next to the elevators.

While the steward isn't excessively loud going in/out of closet,

they can sometimes go in/out several times in a short amount of time late at night or early in the morning,

which we found annoying.

As for staying really close to the elevators, we could hear the elevator dinging at all hours of the day

(forget napping during the day in your cabin)

and night and the voices of the people getting on/off them.

We always try to stay at least 4 or 5 cabins away from the elevators and a couple away from the stewards' closets.

Thanks very much for these simple but important factors warning the un-informed!!

Thank you, k2excursion, SadieN, Canadiangal40, Mulege,serene56, topguy, Socref124, Aplmac, Amoré Familia, gymrat10, crshipley07! :D

Your detailed tips, photo, links are very informative!

In conclusion to your advice, I've made reservation on an ocean view cabin on deck 2, several rooms counted down from the first elevators, somewhere between the lobby and dining room upstairs.

get this spread out deck plan to all floors posted for others to easily allocate a cabin.

http://www.carnival.com/legal/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/carnival-splendor-accessible-cruising-deck-plan-pdf.ashx

Can't wait to have our first cruise on Carnival in Dec.

sometimes those gray areas are notstewardclosets. some are firewall storage. deck 7 past the mission elevators where they are storedyou also done see room service kitchens on a deck plsn

In conclusion to your advice, I've made reservation on an ocean view cabin on deck 2, several rooms counted down from the first elevators, somewhere between the lobby and dining room upstairs.

Can't wait to have our first cruise on Carnival in Dec.

We were in #2286 for one cruise and #2287 for another cruise. Never heard any noise from the atrium, even though there was a musician there every night.

We liked the location. Close to the showroom and since the cabin was by the 1st bank of elevators, there was never a long wait for either the Atrium elevators or the regular elevators.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived