Powerbords being confiscated

Drelix

Nothing terrifies officers or captains like fire does. Fire is the absolute worst thing that could happen at sea (and drydock). So the lines are probably all too happy to sacrifice some goodwill, to ensure everyone's safety. Surely everyone is aware that electricity is a finite resource on a ship...?

I think some people think power is infinite... just like the food... right? :D:p

There is a danger of over-loading the wiring and that can result in a fire. As someone else said, that is one of the biggest fears on a ship.

There was a fire in a cabin when we were on board the Celebrity Century in January. An announcement came through all the cabins (it shouldn't have) about a fire in cabin XXX that was very close to us. I got out of bed and stuck my head out in the corridor. It was full of smoke and I couldn't see more than 15 or so feet. Staff stood around blocking the corridor and after putting the fire out presumably they opened the balcony doors to get rid of the smoke. Later staff claimed there hadn't been a fire. Yeah, right. ;)

By the way we were docked at the time of the fire so it wasn't very scarey, not the way it would have been if we were at sea.

There is a danger of over-loading the wiring and that can result in a fire. As someone else said, that is one of the biggest fears on a ship.

There was a fire in a cabin when we were on board the Celebrity Century in January. An announcement came through all the cabins (it shouldn't have) about a fire in cabin XXX that was very close to us. I got out of bed and stuck my head out in the corridor. It was full of smoke and I couldn't see more than 15 or so feet. Staff stood around blocking the corridor and after putting the fire out presumably they opened the balcony doors to get rid of the smoke. Later staff claimed there hadn't been a fire. Yeah, right. ;)

By the way we were docked at the time of the fire so it wasn't very scarey, not the way it would have been if we were at sea.

That really doesn't sound like safe practice. They really should of get guests away from the are completely, maybe even muster stations (I know the Pacific Star has a small fire onboard on the cruise after mine and they called everyone to the muster stations, and it was tiny and on the outside decks.) They really shouldn't of hidden the fact, nor should the just use crew to get people out of the area, it should be announced (on purpose and asking guests to stay well clear, at the bare minimum.)

That really doesn't sound like safe practice. They really should of get guests away from the are completely, maybe even muster stations (I know the Pacific Star has a small fire onboard on the cruise after mine and they called everyone to the muster stations, and it was tiny and on the outside decks.) They really shouldn't of hidden the fact, nor should the just use crew to get people out of the area, it should be announced (on purpose and asking guests to stay well clear, at the bare minimum.)

I agree with you totally. We were ready to get out of bed when the announcement came (well, I was anyway). We quickly got dressed, expecting to be evacuated because the fire was very close to our cabin, but nothing happened. We went off to breakfast and when I asked our cabin steward later he told me it had been a medical emergency. Several days later there was a session where one of the Bridge officers gave a talk and answered questions. Everyone was asking about the fire but he flatly denied it had happened. When he was howled down with people saying there had been an announcement, his response was that he would have to "check into it".

If I hadn't seen and smelt the smoke I wouldn't have known what to believe.

The Star Princess fire was very nearly catastrophic. A cigarette butt thrown from a balcony was sucked into another balcony where a fire started. It burnt out a whole section of the ship. I have seen a video of it and it was really, really scarey. I believe that this incident is what prompted Princess to ban smoking on balconies.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Our last cruise wad mid June. There was no giving away of anything. They wanted about 25 for a 4 USB stick and then 10 per digital image, or save it on my device for 20 per digital image.

I would have purchased all of our digital images if they were $5 each.

We just got off the Pearl this morning. If you bought the embarkaton package, they gave you a USB and would put other digital images on for $5 each.

Also.......we took a power board.

We just got off the Pearl this morning. If you bought the embarkaton package, they gave you a USB and would put other digital images on for $5 each.

Also.......we took a power board.

Someone told me that, they said join the 'VIP Club' and they thought it was $5.00. I asked the photo staff and they said get the USB (by joining the Club) and it was $10.00 per digital image. I was not offered the embarkation deal (never heard of that package), I know someone who did join the club and it was $10 each for them.

Maybe they had to increase the photo sales to compensate for the lack of drink sales on NZ cruises.

Someone told me that, they said join the 'VIP Club' and they thought it was $5.00. I asked the photo staff and they said get the USB (by joining the Club) and it was $10.00 per digital image. I was not offered the embarkation deal (never heard of that package), I know someone who did join the club and it was $10 each for them.

Maybe they had to increase the photo sales to compensate for the lack of drink sales on NZ cruises.

The embarkation package is offered on the second day (aka the first full day onboard), I think its something like by two photos from embarkation and receive a USB and allowing for digital copies (I think they are cheaper with the package). You can still get the usb throughout the cruise but you lose the package as it is nly for that second day.

A bit like taking an old takeaway cup into Hungry Jacks. ;-)

Lol but Hungry Jacks don't charge ridiculous prices for their products unlike p&o . I'm happy to pay for digital prints but don't want to pay for another USB stick If I already have one .

Back off the Dawn today... I rang prior to going re the powerboard and was told that they are okay to take so i did and got it on with no problems at all...

Also heard a rumour that water and soft drink was being confiscated or limited well my group took 8ltrs of water for our 3 day cruise and a 700ml bottle of soft drink with no questions asked.. :)

cheers

Back off the Dawn today... I rang prior to going re the powerboard and was told that they are okay to take so i did and got it on with no problems at all...

Also heard a rumour that water and soft drink was being confiscated or limited well my group took 8ltrs of water for our 3 day cruise and a 700ml bottle of soft drink with no questions asked.. :)

cheers

My daughter smuggled (well....maybe she's not really my daughter lol) Vodka on board in a Mount Franklin bottle. No problems whatsoever.

A bit like taking an old takeaway cup into Hungry Jacks. ;-)

Yeah, almost as bad as people taking their old souvenir cups and filling them with their own vodka, lemonade and other fruit juices and getting the ice from the steward.

I am sure they will stop soft drinks and water being taken on board soon enough.

I wonder if the power boards would be accepted if they were certified and tagged as safe by an electrician. I know that crew have to have all electrical items including power boards checked by the on-board electrician and tagged.

Of course it would cost a fair bit to have an electrician check and tag items and obviously the on-board electrician wouldn't have time to check passengers' personal items. :)

but will the electrician sertify that it is safe to take on to a cruise ship at any time after he or she has tested the item for the next year?

and if he would be able to pay for the damage ,if the power board was found to faulty and the cause of the fire?

The answer would be no as the test and tage is only good for one year on power boards and the test is only on what they see and tested on the day of testing and the rest of the year anything could happen to it.

But on ships and cruise ships power boards and leads are tested every month.

Edited by thied

My daughter smuggled (well....maybe she's not really my daughter lol) Vodka on board in a Mount Franklin bottle. No problems whatsoever.

Keep up similar posts bragging of "smuggling alcohol" and the taking of ANY forms of bottled liquid will soon be banned.

Once again a minority ruining it for the majority.

Keep up similar posts bragging of "smuggling alcohol" and the taking of ANY forms of bottled liquid will soon be banned.

Once again a minority ruining it for the majority.

I don't agree 100% that it comes from bragging of smuggling booze. I don't think a lot of smuggling goes on. We bought in cans of diet coke etc, the boxes were ripped open and tapped backed up by the time it gt to the cabin. We also took on a water bottle (sealed, with water in it as I choose not to pay $4.00 for a .99 cent bottle of water) it was opened, seal broken when we got our bag back. We now take empty water bottles as fill them on the ship for taking off on islands.

I don't agree 100% that it comes from bragging of smuggling booze. I don't think a lot of smuggling goes on. We bought in cans of diet coke etc, the boxes were ripped open and tapped backed up by the time it gt to the cabin. We also took on a water bottle (sealed, with water in it as I choose not to pay $4.00 for a .99 cent bottle of water) it was opened, seal broken when we got our bag back. We now take empty water bottles as fill them on the ship for taking off on islands.

Totally agree with you Steve 1970 on the water but when you read so many posts outlining how to "smuggle alcohol on board" not only in Australia it is only a matter of time before the taking of all soft drinks and waters will be banned.

It has just been announced that HAL have changed their take on wine policy which has been attributed to abuse of allowances in the US.

Many cruisers are complaining about the markup on alcohol on board and that it is a revenue grab.

Calculate the markup on a can (330ml) of soft drink sold on board at $2.50 from what it can be purchased from at a supermarket it is in line with alcohol.

As cruising becomes more competitive and hence cheaper all areas of profit generation will be targeted.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband has a CPAP machine and needs the power board close to the bed to plug it in.... When we sail with P&O they always get an electrician to check the CPAP machine before we sail to make sure it complies - maybe they could check the power board at the same time. We cruised on Pacific Jewel this June 2013 and didnt get the powerboard confiscated.

My husband has a CPAP machine and needs the power board close to the bed to plug it in.... When we sail with P&O they always get an electrician to check the CPAP machine before we sail to make sure it complies - maybe they could check the power board at the same time. We cruised on Pacific Jewel this June 2013 and didnt get the powerboard confiscated.

Hi Sunset Deck, interesting comment regarding P&O's electrician checking your husbands CPAP machine, my husband also uses one and we take a powerboard and extension cord for him to use, but in 16 cruises have never had his machine questioned let alone checked, we just carry it on through the security scanners without question. Robin:)

We had our 8 plug power board sitting in plain view in our Suite on Pac Dawn earlier this month. Nothing was ever said, in fact we even had their Nespresso machine plugged in to it the whole time.

We didn't even know it could be an issue till reading this thread.....

There is often this discussion on the HAL boards about "power strips" and I discovered that HAL have a limited number at the front desk for loan. Not much help to us as it is a US board, but I did notice the one they put in our room for a fan (no working aircon) was in a terrible state and had loose wires hanging out of it.