Navigator or Serenade

Planning for spring break - March 2014 for myself, my husband and our 18 year old daughter. Trying to decide between the Navigator out of Galveston for $2987 or Serenade out of New Orleans for $2429. We were just on the Navigator last month but know that she'll be refurbished by next March. Any ship preferences to those who have been on both? Same ports of call and we can drive to both Galveston and New Orleans.

Thanks for any input! Michelle

Both ships are great. I would want to choose Navigator because it will have all the "newer" features that I would like to explore. On the other hand, I really like Serenade. Since both are great ships, I'd look at the ports being visited and decide that way. (I would also look at the cost to get to each port and factor that in). Either way you'll have a great cruise:D

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the Navigator/Galveston since it will have just been refurbished - and after having been on her last month, she's due. Also, it's not quite as far a drive to Galveston and we have spent a couple days in New Orleans a few years ago. It's a tough choice though. Our daughter really enjoyed the teen club (not sure if that is it's official name) on the Navigator but by next March she'll be 18 and too old - hoping she'll find things to do for her age group on either ship. Still thinking..........

Thanks again!

I'd go Serenade for multiple reasons:

-Pre cruise partying in Nola.

-$500 cheaper, which means more money for partying/drinks/excursions.

-I love the Radiance Class ships! Feel less crowded, nicer Solariums, lots of glass.

-Seaview Cafe (if she still has one)

I'd go Serenade for multiple reasons:

-Pre cruise partying in Nola.

-$500 cheaper, which means more money for partying/drinks/excursions.

-I love the Radiance Class ships! Feel less crowded, nicer Solariums, lots of glass.

-Seaview Cafe (if she still has one)

Unfortunately, Jewel is the only ship left with a Seaview. But I'd still go with the $500 less too!

It's been a few years, but I have sailed both ships, and prefer Serenade. This is just my opinion, I'm not a fan of the ships with the Royal Promenade.

I'm just the opposite, I love the promenade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would take Navigator over a Radiance class ship any day. Especially in the Caribbean. I always say Radiance class ships are not good for the Caribbean because there is so little outdoor pool and layout space. Lots of glass looking outwards, but little usable outdoor space. I hate that closed solarium on Caribbean cruises.

Navigator is one of my favorite ships. It will be even better post refurb.

We are a family of 4 with two kids in the 18-21 age group. We were just on Jewel, after only cruising on Voyager-class ships (and once on Allure). Yes, the ship is gorgeous with all the glass. But, we really missed the Royal Promenade as an evening entertainment venue. The centrum floor is simply too cramped, and it is dizzying to move up to the higher balconies and look down on the events (like the 70's party). The Singers/Dancers did not perform outside of the production shows, yet on ships with a Promenade, they were often entertaining there on their non-show nights. The Captain's reception was held in a small lounge, and wasn't nearly as special.

Since we are cruisers that like the evening events and the street parties on the promenade, we found the Jewel rather compartmentalized and sedate. If it weren't for the port intensive itinerary, I daresay we would have been a bit bored.

If you are an active cruiser (meaning you like to get involved rather than just relax on your balcony or other quite area), then a Voyager-class ship is probably a better fit than a Radiance class ship, especially with young adults.

Archived