How could MSC improve - your perspective?

Skipper Tim

Hi,

Third, I spent a lot of time on YouTube watching users' experiences of "famous" cruise lines, mostly US based. Impression?

Anything on those ships isn't so much innovative, genuine and "something special" with "wow" effect, compared to MSC.

Fabulous!

Could you name it - what is "so much innovative, genuine and "something special" with "wow" effect" on MSC ships that is not available on "famous" cruise lines?

DTL, thank you for the idea.

I will post it in separate thread - how I was trying to cruise on MSC :)

Lol, Celebrity and higher. And what is higher? HAL?

MSC is in the same exactly category as RCCL, NCL, Carnival. Each with own pluses and minuses. It is ok to prefer one line over another. Personal choice. Does not make one line worse than another.

"MSC is in the same exactly category as RCCL, NCL, Carnival..."

Ahem, I hope this won't inadvertently started another topic on cruiseline ranking ;-)

=========================================

*disclaimer* copy and paste from someone's signature

Cunard * Holland America * Princess * Royal Caribbean * Celebrity * Carnival * NCL * Costa * MSC

I would like to point out that with the kids menu, our waiter brought us all dinners we requested with steamed vegetables or rice instead of fries. I think it's one of those things that if you don't know to ask, then you won't get it.

Our daughter ate the pastina soup from the kids menu everyday and we usually ordered something from the main menu for her as well. FYI, with those menu items, there is no such thing as smaller portions. Our waiter told us to just have her eat what she wanted.

One other quick question as it was our first cruise.

Is it typical to have sea water in all of the pools on board? We found since they emptied the pools every night and refilled the pools in the morning with sea water that the pools were very cold until the sun had sufficient time to warm it up, and sometimes not even by the end of the day was it comfortably warm.

Is it typical to have sea water in all of the pools on board? We found since they emptied the pools every night and refilled the pools in the morning with sea water that the pools were very cold until the sun had sufficient time to warm it up, and sometimes not even by the end of the day was it comfortably warm.

I think MSC is one of the last lines to fill their pools with sea water - I personally prefer a cruise ship with sea water pools vs those with fresh water.

That being said I have often pondered as to why they don't heat the water slightly before pumping it in - not too warm; but just enough that it doesn't take your breath away.

"And even MSC low price was beaten for my next cruise."

CT ... you continue to repeat the above in various threads yet despite being asked on a number of occasions you fail or cannot inform people what this great deal was!

therefore you have to ask yourself does this great deal actually exist ?

Hi,

I spent few hours reading all posts about recent active topics, induced by Skipper Tim, and I have to say that I really enjoyed all comments, mostly because I was some kind of a witness how MSC evolved from cruise company with so many mistakes to serious cruise company.

My first cruise ever was in 2009. We've had 39 nights since.

First, I have to inform you, that from January 2014, MSC will change status, pricing and experience on almost all ships, according to what they have announced on their Italian, Austrian and German web sites. On all inside and outside staterooms, they will introduce two kind of "experience" Bella & Fantastical Experienza (different pricing) and different amenities which will be included in.

On all balcony staterooms, beside two already mentioned, there will be the third experience - Aurea Experienza which will, beside Fantastical amenities, include all drinks for meals in main restaurants (ex Cheers Package) free, and special Aurea spa package also free (thermal bath) and sundeck on Deck 18 free.

Yacht Club remains as extra experience.

Second, on our last March cruise on MSC Splendida, I spent almost an hour chatting (with some expressos) with Hotel Director, who told me that MSC is indeed planning some very innovative things in the future (without details, whatever it means). But most interesting thing is one of his sentences which I will paraphrase: " ...they (family who owns the company) has so much money that they can do whatever they like in this business. This is (cruise company) pocket money for them, because they own the second largest shipping company in the world."

I'm not an expert, and I can't tell is this true or not. But....

Third, I spent a lot of time on YouTube watching users' experiences of "famous" cruise lines, mostly US based. Impression?

Anything on those ships isn't so much innovative, genuine and "something special" with "wow" effect, compared to MSC.

It's always a question of value for the money, and I have to say that my impression is that if you like to cruise you first have to choose what you prefer more: itinerary (excursions, something to see or to explore), or how to indulge to yourself or your family. For us, it was always THE question.

If we prefer itinerary, small ships with much less amenities are always a better choice, than the large ones. In that case we were always very tired in the end of the day. Other option is for the people who prefer other things.

IMHO, it's not comparable in any way. So, I think that we are mixing apples and pears in these discussions.

MSC is great company within their class, maybe the best one, and maybe not. But if we compare their itineraries, amenities, food, staterooms, entertainment, drinks, service with other companies, nobody can tell that they are bad.

Yacht Club concept is the most clever idea (in business sense) in cruise business, because expenses are low, and profit is high.

This new profile and service which they want to introduce in 2014, will push boundaries further more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Many thanks DTL, that is fascinating information. Will be looking in to the details upon my return to the UK on Monday.

- stricter hygiene, esp. the use of hand cleaners

They had many hand sanitizers at all ports of call and all entrances to the restaurants. I also witnessed one employee rushing to go and get a new stand when the one that was being used fell and broke.

I have nothing else to compare to but I did feel the boat hygeine was adequate. The hot tubs at times were very foamy. Not the good kind, but the many children who used those suds as pretends beards did not seem to mind.:)

Having done a few cruises with them and Costa I would say that MSC would improve immensely if the miserable mentality stopped. They should be more generous and leave Costa to be the money-pinching one (or cost conscious as they probably like to label their style of management) Things like giving each table their olive oil, vinegar, etc, and serve plenty of water, not only when the ship has US passengers. Of course they are not a charity and are in business to make profit, and one gets what one paid for, but it is important to remember that the cruising industry nowadays is no longer purely on the transport sector but mainly, nowadays, on the service one. The product would improve much, specially as far as service is concerned, if they stopped counting the pennies. I certainly do not spend as much on an MSC cruise as I do on a RCCL one as the more they want to save, the less I want to give.

Fabulous!

Could you name it - what is "so much innovative, genuine and "something special" with "wow" effect" on MSC ships that is not available on "famous" cruise lines?

For me, Yacht Club as concept is a much, much better idea than some "special" stateroom subcategories (same kind of stateroom in five different ways) on Princess, Celebrity, you name it.

There is no obvious difference between a balcony stateroom, deluxe balcony, concierge balcony, whatever, beside the price. For the premium price you will get a smaller stateroom and less luxurious stateroom than "ordinary" balcony stateroom on MSC.

Service!

You cannot compare service in MSC Yacht Club, with any of these "fabulous" US cruise lines, beside premium ones (SeaDream, Regent, etc.).

So we are coming to the essence: cruise business is influenced by the global economic crisis. Everybody is looking how to sell, sell, sell, one way or another. MSC, as a large European company, doesn't depend upon the US cruise market. But they slowly becoming a part of that market. And they are eating larger part of that market every year. And somebody is very nervous about it! :)

MSC Divina next year in US will be in the position to attract, not only Americans, but a lot, and I mean lot of Europeans who mostly don't care about water and coffee, how thick is my steak or "hey, on this ship nobody talks decent English" story.

But they do care about itineraries, exploring new places, modern entertainment, fun & sun, and not to be surrounded with "everything is bad, other passengers are so rude, they don't have manners, they don't behave in elevators" people.

We are a party of three (with older teenage girl) and we are going on the cruse to enjoy, explore, have fun, meet different people from different cultures, enjoy interesting new meals & drinks and to, for example, visit some local markets.

We are going cruising and not yachting!

We are going cruising and not to be in a 5 or 6 star hotel in the middle of the ocean which is purpose for itself (NCL Breakaway, RCCL Ocean and Allure of the Seas, SeaDream I & II) which are such great ships with so many nice experiences and amenities that you don't have to go anywhere from the ship at all.

MSC can offer us what we prefer in a gorgeous way, and we are enjoying that way.

World is a very nice place and it belongs to everybody. People in Asia or Africa have different interests than us in Europe, as we here among ourselves have different cultures, habits and interests.

Could anyone tell me is it anywhere written what cruising is all about? Who set the rules? And is it possible that some non US company brake someone's "established" rules?

For me, Yacht Club as concept is a much, much better idea than some "special" stateroom subcategories (same kind of stateroom in five different ways) on Princess, Celebrity, you name it.

There is no obvious difference between a balcony stateroom, deluxe balcony, concierge balcony, whatever, beside the price. For the premium price you will get a smaller stateroom and less luxurious stateroom than "ordinary" balcony stateroom on MSC.

Service!

You cannot compare service in MSC Yacht Club, with any of these "fabulous" US cruise lines, beside premium ones (SeaDream, Regent, etc.).

So we are coming to the essence: cruise business is influenced by the global economic crisis. Everybody is looking how to sell, sell, sell, one way or another. MSC, as a large European company, doesn't depend upon the US cruise market. But they slowly becoming a part of that market. And they are eating larger part of that market every year. And somebody is very nervous about it! :)

MSC Divina next year in US will be in the position to attract, not only Americans, but a lot, and I mean lot of Europeans who mostly don't care about water and coffee, how thick is my steak or "hey, on this ship nobody talks decent English" story.

But they do care about itineraries, exploring new places, modern entertainment, fun & sun, and not to be surrounded with "everything is bad, other passengers are so rude, they don't have manners, they don't behave in elevators" people.

We are a party of three (with older teenage girl) and we are going on the cruse to enjoy, explore, have fun, meet different people from different cultures, enjoy interesting new meals & drinks and to, for example, visit some local markets.

We are going cruising and not to be in a 5 or 6 star hotel in the middle of the ocean which is purpose for itself (NCL Breakaway, RCCL Ocean and Allure of the Seas, SeaDream I & II) which are such great ships with so many nice experiences and amenities that you don't have to go anywhere from the ship at all.

MSC can offer us what we prefer in a gorgeous way, and we are enjoying that way.

World is a very nice place and it belongs to everybody. People in Asia or Africa have different interests than us in Europe, as we here among ourselves have different cultures, habits and interests.

Could anyone tell me is it anywhere written what cruising is all about? Who set the rules? And is it possible that some non US company brake someone's "established" rules?

DTL, first you had my interest now you have my respect.

T.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with yachting!

DTL,

Your answer: nothing.

Thank you.

I am not surprised.

Service!

Nicely written.

Agree with almost everything and feel almost that way.

However, immediately as you make an attempt to compare MSC with other lines the whole thing becomes a delusion of one-cruise-line-cruiser (read: lack of experience).

Let me suggest something.

Service on a cruise ship is not limited to your butler's smile or access to a place where other passengers are not allowed.

Service is everything a cruise ship has to offer.

Infamous "ship within a ship concept" is cheap in its essence.

It has been in use for a few years.

It reminds me of "luxury" enclaves in some poorest countries.

Never mix up NCL Breakaway with the Ocean of the Seas.

These are two different ways of cruising.

Never compare RCI Oasis class ships with MSC if you want to present MSC in any positive light.

MSC, as a large European company, doesn't depend upon the US cruise market. But they slowly becoming a part of that market. And they are eating larger part of that market every year. And somebody is very nervous about it! :)

My very last concern is about what they eat.

I am looking at what they offer.

The rules are not set.

The quality standards are not written.

This is like health. You either have it or not.

How to describe it - what is health?:)

Only cruising experience with all major cruise line will tell what is what and why. The difference is huge and real.

Start cruising tomorrow.

Get your answers.

Nicely written.

Agree with almost everything and feel almost that way.

However, immediately as you make an attempt to compare MSC with other lines the whole thing becomes a delusion of one-cruise-line-cruiser (read: lack of experience).

Let me suggest something.

Service on a cruise ship is not limited to your butler's smile or access to a place where other passengers are not allowed.

Infamous "ship within a ship concept" is cheap in its essence.

Never compare RCI Oasis class ships with MSC if you want to present MSC in any positive light.

My very last concern is about what they eat.

I am looking at what they offer.

The rules are not set.

The quality standards are not written.

This is like health. You either have it or not.

How to describe it - what is health?:)

Only cruising experience with all major cruise line will tell what is what and why. The difference is huge and real.

Start cruising tomorrow.

Get your answers.

This Thread is about positive suggestions from past cruisers of MSC.

Fabulous!

Please ,keep it to yourself. Really ,don't you have somthing to do in life but talking about cruise company that you never been on? :cool: Unless you get paid for seating here :rolleyes:

I like MSC a lot, but I think itineraries are not the best in the Caribbeans. MSC needs to pick better ones for the folks who are flying 7-10 hours to see this part of the world.

I also heard complaints from European cruisers about quality of steaks. Problem was not thickness of it, but rather how tough or overcooked in some cases meat was.

I think MSC is a good company and if it fixes these small issues it will be more successful among both European and American passengers.

For those of you out there who prefer princess maybe you should try the New Royal Princess with no wrap around promenade deck, no access to the Front of the ship unless you have a cabin above the bridge deck and tiny balconies !

tatka .... no potshots just making a point that it is not just MSC who is doing this as at least one person likes to make out! ... :) it seems to be the new in thing for cruise lines sadly.

I agree, and it would be great to have a concept of entertainment that is acceptable for every single passenger on the ship. Is it possible? No.

If you go on Aida, you will notice that everything, or mostly everything is in German language, even a great part of music and entertainment shows. Restaurants are themed for German market. Ships are beautifully simple and clean. Are you ready to cruise with them?

With your attitude, I'm sure that you are not.

So please, if you are not ready to speak on MSC part of forum in a proper way, or your lack of readiness to be in the same position as the rest of the world coming to sometimes ridiculously "fabulous" (read expensive) US cruise companies, please don't lament anymore.

"ship within a ship concept" is cheap in its essence.

If we speak about Yacht Club, we speak about price for service. US companies don't want to offer that because it will ruin their profits. Using marketing channels to create picture of a "cheap cruise" about other non US company, for me is same as Samsung's efforts to create a bad picture about Apple in their ridiculous marketing campaigns.

Yes, I'm speaking about cruising not yachting (and I don't have anything to say against yachting). But, please go to SeaDream Yacht Club web site/Special offers, and see prices. You will notice that they have lowered their prices for a classic balcony stateroom to MSC YachtClub level (same service). Indicative, or not, but that is a fact. And yes, they sold those cabins first. And yes they are not sold to poor countries citizens. And yes, it's a classical market rule.

I'm using Oasis of the Sea and NCL Breakaway, not to compare, but to make a point. If I want to go to an amusement park, I won't go on a ship, I'll go to Disney World, Portaventura, Gardeland, whatever. I'm on the cruise with my family and I want to cruise.

Start cruising tomorrow.

Get your answers.

Basically I agree. But... Did you ask yourself why almost every American's (with full respect for Americans) dream is to visit Europe? On the other side, did you ask yourself why almost every American (with full respect for Americans) is trying to reshape Europeans and their routines to American habits, manners and system of values? It's not comparable.

My point isn't "MSC is great, best, etc.". My point is they are great for my family and me, because of our interests, knowledge, culture & fun. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you don't like MSC, please don't like MSC. It's good for you and it's good for us.

Thank you

...the MSC-USA site, the online check-in form was an UNSECURED web page. ...MSC needs to add a security layer to the USA web site if they want people to do online check-in!!!

Today the MSC-USA site does have a secured web page to complete the online web check-in. :) Maybe it was just a glitch, but MSC-USA appears to have resolved it quickly.

I've cruised Celebrity, HAL, and Princess (great cruises all of them)...and am really looking forward to the "European" MSC experience....the Divina looks to be beautiful ship...can't wait to see her in 2014!

I like MSC a lot, but I think itineraries are not the best in the Caribbeans. MSC needs to pick better ones for the folks who are flying 7-10 hours to see this part of the world.

I also heard complaints from European cruisers about quality of steaks. Problem was not thickness of it, but rather how tough or overcooked in some cases meat was.

I think MSC is a good company and if it fixes these small issues it will be more successful among both European and American passengers.

Hi Tatka,

I also have complaints about MSC.

Once on Musica, for breakfast I ordered "cold meat plate". I got a glass of cold milk. It was a disaster (because of waiter's bad English), we went to Public Relation Manager, told the story. In the night she sent us bottle of sparkling wine, some canapés and a letter of excuse.

Now, when I speak about that to my friends, it's a good joke. Beside that, there is also a sense of responsibility which that PR showed to us in effort to correct the image of the company.

For me it is fascinating how many Japanese people are on MSC ships. In last two years number of Japanese people is every time bigger and bigger.

I'm wondering do they have problem with cold water and coffee.

Nothing on this world can be perfect, so neither MSC. Yes they have ridiculously bad mistakes, and you are right. I'm sure that Celebrity or Regent also have mistakes.

But mistakes exist to be corrected, don't they? In the end, we are all on vacation, aren't we?

But mistakes exist to be corrected, don't they? In the end, we are all on vacation, aren't we?

Yes mistakes exist, and I feel that MSC is very capable of fixing them, and they try very hard to improve. I was "following" this line since 2008 when our cruise on Orchestra did not happen because of some other reasons. Back then there were many more complaints than now, so company does listen. This is why it is great to have a place to voice our concerns.

By the way, I cannot recall any waiters, cabin stewards or reception desk staff with poor English. We had some conversations with the bar staff from Ukraine (I am originally from Ukraine) and they told us that for North American sailings company picks staff with previous experience with other mass market lines sailing here. (RCCL, Princess etc). :)

Yes mistakes exist, and I feel that MSC is very capable of fixing them, and they try very hard to improve. I was "following" this line since 2008 when our cruise on Orchestra did not happen because of some other reasons. Back then there were many more complaints than now, so company does listen. This is why it is great to have a place to voice our concerns.

By the way, I cannot recall any waiters, cabin stewards or reception desk staff with poor English. We had some conversations with the bar staff from Ukraine (I am originally from Ukraine) and they told us that for North American sailings company picks staff with previous experience with other mass market lines sailing here. (RCCL, Princess etc). :)

Agree,

Bad English is more problem for stuff from Asia, than from Eastern Europe stuff.

Archived